HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Passenger footwell
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:41 pm by Porsche951toLS3

» 85.5 944 LS Adventure
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:55 pm by ryan08

» Dual Manual Brake Master Setup For Sale
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:09 pm by sharkey

» Problem with Dual Remote Vacuum Boosters
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:37 am by Porsche951toLS3

» 1984 Tach wire
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:54 am by Rich L.

» 1984 944 Tach and Temp wire color
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 pm by Punisher948

» robschwieb's 85.5 944 LS1 Swap
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:03 pm by robschwieb

» LS Parts for sale
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 pm by Porsche951toLS3

» Dual headlight motor conversion
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 am by 948

» WTB - LS Conversion Oil Pan & Pickup
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:21 am by cazbah362

December 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Automatic BH Adapter

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

automatc adapter

Post  stuart f. wright on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:17 pm

just curious has any one developed an adapter for the automatic equiped 944 .dosnt the automatic version use the same shaft and belhousing as the man. version being the only exception being the rubber style dampner flywheel.could u use a c-5 bellhousing and clutch and flywheel disk and adapter to bolt up to the tourqe tube.with the gm starter .i made my own adapter to mate the porsche bellhousing to the chevy motor.i still use porsche flywheel and starter .but im curious as to whether you could use the c-5 style with the automatic version as you do with the man.version thank you.i guess i developed my own but was wondering if the manual adapter could b made to work on auto equipped version. the shaft looks the same

Last edited by stuart f. wright on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:15 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add)
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Re: Automatic BH Adapter

Post  Dawgz83948 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:29 pm

stuart f. wright wrote:just curious has any one developed an adapter for the automatic equiped 944 .dosnt the automatic version use the same shaft and belhousing as the man. version being the only exception being the rubber style dampner flywheel.could u use a c-5 bellhousing and clutch and flywheel disk and adapter to bolt up to the tourqe tube.with the gm starter .i made my own adapter to mate the porsche bellhousing to the chevy motor.i still use porsche flywheel and starter .but im curious as to whether you could use the c-5 style with the automatic version as you do with the man.version thank you.i guess i developed my own but was wondering if the manual adapter could b made to work on auto equipped version. the shaft looks the same

You should be able to use the same conversion setup, except you do not install the slave (Flywheel, Clutch and pressure plate is still used). The torque converter is in the rear. The issue is the Auto tranny will NOT take the abuse.
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:44 pm

Dawgz83948 wrote:
stuart f. wright wrote:just curious has any one developed an adapter for the automatic equiped 944 .dosnt the automatic version use the same shaft and belhousing as the man. version being the only exception being the rubber style dampner flywheel.could u use a c-5 bellhousing and clutch and flywheel disk and adapter to bolt up to the tourqe tube.with the gm starter .i made my own adapter to mate the porsche bellhousing to the chevy motor.i still use porsche flywheel and starter .but im curious as to whether you could use the c-5 style with the automatic version as you do with the man.version thank you.i guess i developed my own but was wondering if the manual adapter could b made to work on auto equipped version. the shaft looks the same

You should be able to use the same conversion setup, except you do not install the slave (Flywheel, Clutch and pressure plate is still used). The torque converter is in the rear. The issue is the Auto tranny will NOT take the abuse.
it as 4 about 20000 miles so far n no problems.my buddie went through it and freshend it up when i first put in 350.what do base your information on .have you or anyone else you know built an auto conversion .just curious on what the weak links or issues they had.my frend builds racing autos 4 drag cars and he made what improvements he could to beef it up. ive laid 500 horses to it with no probems.ive seen more problems out of stick shift cars than autos due to missd shifts n spinning the tires to fast in first gear.you keep an auto cool it will last a long time.it was stll working fine with over 130000 miles before i rebuilt it.and its on 4th engine since i first converted it.i keep making improvements and experimenting the weak point i see is the rubber dampener that bolts the flywheel together i have a manuel flywheel from a stick 944 i was gonna try if dampner ever fails but so far its holding up.my adapter works but i was just wonderig if the chevy bellhousing clutch n starter would work on the auto.i have a complete 944 turbo that im going to convert in future.if i had the motor out of it id answer my own question thank you 4 your feed back friend
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:33 am

I would be curious to see what the gears look like compared to the manual tranny. I had an 87 auto a few years ago that I got for $500 because is was slipping gears (and other things like oil in the coolant tank), sure nuff got it home, did a flush and put in Mobile 1 and it went 2 summers before it blew. The oil in the coolant tank was a $ 0.75 Viton O-ring in the oil/water cooler housing! I converted it to a manual and sold it. I know from working on that car that the P.O. neglected it. I've only HEARD that the Auto tranny is weak on the Old PHB, But always wondered if the gears were narrow or the friction/syncro discs were weak and could possibly be upgraded. You may be onto something and would be worth looking deep into... To answer your question, I also don't see why you can't make an adapter to fit the C5 auto Flywheel to the Porsche TT shaft. You definitely fit the bill here on this Forum....DIY
and FORSCHE!
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:16 am

xschop wrote:I would be curious to see what the gears look like compared to the manual tranny. I had an 87 auto a few years ago that I got for $500 because is was slipping gears (and other things like oil in the coolant tank), sure nuff got it home, did a flush and put in Mobile 1 and it went 2 summers before it blew. The oil in the coolant tank was a $ 0.75 Viton O-ring in the oil/water cooler housing! I converted it to a manual and sold it. I know from working on that car that the P.O. neglected it. I've only HEARD that the Auto tranny is weak on the Old PHB, But always wondered if the gears were narrow or the friction/syncro discs were weak and could possibly be upgraded. You may be onto something and would be worth looking deep into... To answer your question, I also don't see why you can't make an adapter to fit the C5 auto Flywheel to the Porsche TT shaft. You definitely fit the bill here on this Forum....DIY
and FORSCHE!
my buddy that went through the tranny said it was a good design and he used some heavy duty kevlar friction discs he had laying around when he rebuilt it.he said the transmision was still in good shape when he went through it.ive had the car at a local drag strip and have made some very impressive runs.i try not to hammer it to hard on takeoff as it gets very good traction and have run as quick as 6.88 sec. in the 1/8 mile.ill talk to the guy that rebuilt it 4 me and post his comments as to gear type and overall design of it.he was able to use parts from various others he had laying around from the racing autos he builds.i had a 70 elcamino with a built 427 tall deck that kept tearing up muncies.went through about 10 of m n started calling them munchies.i got smart and had him build a th 400 for me and it still works great to this day.
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

one man's trash

Post  xschop on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:44 am

Don't throw away that 944 flex disc!!! ($1100 New)
The inner clamp looks like it can be removed and mated to the C5 Flexplate. The C5 flex plate itself has a removable spline catch hub that can be swapped out.
I would like to see a gear, shaft and R&P comparison of the manual tranny.....Kevlar discs are the way too go. I did a kevlar upgrade to my last streetfighter and never had a problem with it again even in full blown neutral drops, hehe Very Happy first gear wasn't so happy after about the 4th one ..LOL
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:09 am

xschop wrote:Don't throw away that 944 flex disc!!! ($1100 New)
The inner clamp looks like it can be removed and mated to the C5 Flexplate. The C5 flex plate itself has a removable spline catch hub that can be swapped out.
I would like to see a gear, shaft and R&P comparison of the manual tranny.....Kevlar discs are the way too go. I did a kevlar upgrade to my last streetfighter and never had a problem with it again even in full blown neutral drops, hehe Very Happy first gear wasn't so happy after about the 4th one ..LOL
my friend in new york at 944 ecology has a few of m laying around n mine is still holding up .m drag racer n new the auto944 was a good car to convert when i started the project .im always looking for ways to improve as it was quite the task in mesuring the dim to make my adapter work with the porsche bellhousing .it would have been easier to adapt to the c-5 to start with .but i made it work n have learned quite a bit from from my own experince and from you guys.10 steps back n 2 steps forward.lol from what i see you could use a flywheel clutch n pressure plate on the c 5 belhousing adapter set up .ill mesure the distance on the amount that the shaft sticks out of tourqe tube here in little while n post it.it has same spline as man trans car
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:16 am

stuart f. wright wrote:
Dawgz83948 wrote:

it as 4 about 20000 miles so far n no problems.my buddie went through it and freshend it up when i first put in 350.what do base your information on .have you or anyone else you know built an auto conversion .just curious on what the weak links or issues they had.my frend builds racing autos 4 drag cars and he made what improvements he could to beef it up. ive laid 500 horses to it with no probems.ive seen more problems out of stick shift cars than autos due to missd shifts n spinning the tires to fast in first gear.you keep an auto cool it will last a long time.it was stll working fine with over 130000 miles before i rebuilt it.and its on 4th engine since i first converted it.i keep making improvements and experimenting the weak point i see is the rubber dampener that bolts the flywheel together i have a manuel flywheel from a stick 944 i was gonna try if dampner ever fails but so far its holding up.my adapter works but i was just wonderig if the chevy bellhousing clutch n starter would work on the auto.i have a complete 944 turbo that im going to convert in future.if i had the motor out of it id answer my own question thank you 4 your feed back friend

My information is based off IAN @ 944online.com. The common conversion/fix for 944's with Auto's is installing a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate since the rubber flexplate is $1200. The shifts are harder because of less give in that setup but he says it works. What that would mean is that everything (except the lack of clutch) would be identical in a V8 conversion. The auto's are known to be unable to handle stock amounts of power. Just like anything else though, it's how you drive it that matters.

The torque tube on an auto is identical internally, however it is different on the outside. It is missing something on the top where the gear shifter is.
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

944 auto conv

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:22 am

your right you could also adapt a slave and clutch master to soften the take off
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:43 am

Or just make a spring loaded hub, probably even mod up a 1x23 spline clutch disc....
Still I would like to see pics of the gears in the auto and what is the R&P ratio?
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:49 am

xschop wrote:Or just make a spring loaded hub, probably even mod up a 1x23 spline clutch disc....
Still I would like to see pics of the gears in the auto and what is the R&P ratio?
the trans is in car right now but might b able to get on line and download a drawing and specs on it i know it is fairly low geared by the way it feels on takeoff.
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:51 am

I've been looking, but NADA so far.
It would be cool if the gear ratios could be changed on the Auto. IDK
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:54 am

stuart f. wright wrote:your right you could also adapt a slave and clutch master to soften the take off

If you do all that might as well convert to a manual and get the better final.
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:03 am

xschop wrote:I've been looking, but NADA so far.
It would be cool if the gear ratios could be changed on the Auto. IDK
i believe 968 had a 4 speed auto .i like the auto nso far its been very dependable.my 87 turbo is stick shift n id like 2 keep the auto in my 86.
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Auto Transaxle

Post  968gene on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 am

I think I remember seeing that the 968 auto transaxle (Tiptronic) could handle 400 hp.
968gene

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:04 pm

968gene wrote:I think I remember seeing that the 968 auto transaxle (Tiptronic) could handle 400 hp.
i heard that to .my 3 speed auto works fine right now but i know where a 968 4 speeds at that i might buy just in case i should break mine.ive sure got alot of good use out of my 3 speed and that opens up the door for alot of other auto cars out there.ive run across some really clean ones too with motor issues.id convert another auto now that ive found an easyer way.im gonna get my friend to try n design a spring loaded clutch that will work with the c5 belhousing
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:53 pm

stuart f. wright wrote:
968gene wrote:I think I remember seeing that the 968 auto transaxle (Tiptronic) could handle 400 hp.
i heard that to .my 3 speed auto works fine right now but i know where a 968 4 speeds at that i might buy just in case i should break mine.ive sure got alot of good use out of my 3 speed and that opens up the door for alot of other auto cars out there.ive run across some really clean ones too with motor issues.id convert another auto now that ive found an easyer way.im gonna get my friend to try n design a spring loaded clutch that will work with the c5 belhousing

Don't 90% of all stock clutches have a spring loaded center. My kevlar 10.5" does. I think most of them do [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

clutch

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:00 pm

as a matter of fact they do i was on pelican and was reading the forum and there were sevral posts of people who have switched their stock auto equiped 944s and they drove just fine.no problems or vibration issues
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

clutch

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:05 pm

after first f year im going to switch my auto equiped 944 over to a c5 styl bellhousing with the adapter just gotta find a bellhousing and flywheel .shold be able to get clutch disk and pressure plate from parts store
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:12 pm

stuart f. wright wrote:as a matter of fact they do i was on pelican and was reading the forum and there were sevral posts of people who have switched their stock auto equiped 944s and they drove just fine.no problems or vibration issues

Ya no vibration issues, but taking off and gear change is rougher.
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Dawgz83948 wrote:
stuart f. wright wrote:as a matter of fact they do i was on pelican and was reading the forum and there were sevral posts of people who have switched their stock auto equiped 944s and they drove just fine.no problems or vibration issues

Ya no vibration issues, but taking off and gear change is rougher.
2nd gear chirps is normal in a hot rod lol im still gonna try it .944 autos shift hard if your getn into the throttle any how .i have faith in my friend who built the tranny.ive drove it pretty hard and havnt broke it.
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

944 automatic equipped

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:55 pm

theres no doubt i have been a guinnea pig with my auto equipped 944 .it can be done and it works.im gonna keep refining my conversion and testing my ideas.there are alot of clean auto equipped 944s out there just begging for a v-8 transplant .id do it again cause i know it works .ive tryed it with the stock rubber dampner flexplate and now im going to try it with the c-5 bellhousing adapter.with a gm style flywheel and pressue plate.i have confered with my friend who makes clutchs for pulling tractors and he thinks he can make a disk that can absorb some of the shock between the engine and the long driveshaft that connects the tourqe converter with different springrates on the clutch disk ill keep you posted
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:13 pm

stuart f. wright wrote:theres no doubt i have been a guinnea pig with my auto equipped 944 .it can be done and it works.im gonna keep refining my conversion and testing my ideas.there are alot of clean auto equipped 944s out there just begging for a v-8 transplant .id do it again cause i know it works .ive tryed it with the stock rubber dampner flexplate and now im going to try it with the c-5 bellhousing adapter.with a gm style flywheel and pressue plate.i have confered with my friend who makes clutchs for pulling tractors and he thinks he can make a disk that can absorb some of the shock between the engine and the long driveshaft that connects the tourqe converter with different springrates on the clutch disk ill keep you posted

I'm not trying to talk you out of it and I don't think making a special clutch is worth the effort. According to my source it's rougher but acceptable once you get used to the difference. Keep us informed.
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Dawgz83948 wrote:
stuart f. wright wrote:theres no doubt i have been a guinnea pig with my auto equipped 944 .it can be done and it works.im gonna keep refining my conversion and testing my ideas.there are alot of clean auto equipped 944s out there just begging for a v-8 transplant .id do it again cause i know it works .ive tryed it with the stock rubber dampner flexplate and now im going to try it with the c-5 bellhousing adapter.with a gm style flywheel and pressue plate.i have confered with my friend who makes clutchs for pulling tractors and he thinks he can make a disk that can absorb some of the shock between the engine and the long driveshaft that connects the tourqe converter with different springrates on the clutch disk ill keep you posted

I'm not trying to talk you out of it and I don't think making a special clutch is worth the effort. According to my source it's rougher but acceptable once you get used to the difference. Keep us informed.
i will friend im sure it will work thank you for your input
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:42 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Twisted Evil
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content