944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
twin disk clutch setups EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
twin disk clutch setups EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
twin disk clutch setups EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
twin disk clutch setups EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
twin disk clutch setups EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
twin disk clutch setups EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
twin disk clutch setups EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
twin disk clutch setups EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
twin disk clutch setups EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
twin disk clutch setups EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

twin disk clutch setups

5 posters

Go down

twin disk clutch setups Empty twin disk clutch setups

Post  turbobob924 Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:12 pm

My clutch finally went out and I am looking at ,u options.

The quarter master racing setup is the only thing that lasted but the effort to engage it is silly. It was spec'd out to handle 650ft lbs of torque. My new setup will be less.

Anybody running with a twin disc clutch setup?

Who's is it and feedback please!
turbobob924
turbobob924

http://www.turbo924.com

Back to top Go down

twin disk clutch setups Empty Re: twin disk clutch setups

Post  turbobob924 Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:11 pm

Also, has anybody tired the "930" disk setup in a hybrid? It is supposed to handle fair amount of power?
turbobob924
turbobob924

Back to top Go down

twin disk clutch setups Empty Twin Disc

Post  Max Energy Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:56 am

I am in the process of installing the LS3/hot cam motor along with a McLoad Magnum Force Twin Disc Clutch assembly. I hope to have the motor installed later this month. I will keep you all posted.
Max
Max Energy
Max Energy

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:59 am

Pretty costly stuff Bob. Like, 1.2K area Shocked ....Are you really making that much power? Laughing

I could be wrong and somebody may search and find one or you may have already found one, but:

As far as I know, there is no available twin disc clutch kits made with 1" x 23 spline input discs that will bolt to a standard GM/BOP flywheel. With the twin set-up, you have to find a kit that bolts to the GM/BOP flywheels bolt pattern and has the correct number of splines and shaft diameter.

I know that many cars share the 1x23 spline clutch and companys ARE making the twin disc kits for this shaft diameter and spline count so the trick is finding the car model that shares our requirements. The other thing that is problematic is that if you DO/DID find a kit, do the discs share the same friction facing inner diameter so as not to be lost by turning below a flywheels friction surface?

The 930 disc is only 9.4 inches in diameter so nah. The smallest disc being used in any V8 conversion is 10.5" (but really, 10.5" is just a stated meaurement whereas its actually less; like 10.4"!) as far as I know. If the 930 disc is wicked strong, it may make up for its smaller size but the cost for one is outrageous!

EDIT: Didnt see this....
I am in the process of installing the LS3/hot cam motor along with a McLoad Magnum Force Twin Disc Clutch assembly. I hope to have the motor installed later this month. I will keep you all posted.
Max

Does this assembly have 1x23 spline discs?!?!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  948 Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:09 am

McLeod twin disc all the way. My friend uses this in his 427 LS1 Vette...due to many drag launches he has broken several drive shafts and a trans, but the clutch is holding up fine.
McLeod made my dual friction disc with the required spline....

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:30 am

Check out Spec Clutch. I think that they will put together anything you want.

This is from a email that I had with them:
"All of our LS1 stages are available. If you will let me know where you will drive the car and what mods you plan to make to the engine (and transaxle if any) , I will make a recommendation as to which setup will best suit your build. I offer 7 single disc options and 6 multidisc options."

These will have the correct 1 x 23.

You can get in touch with David Norton at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 205-491-8581 x 110

Endrnet ordered a standard set up from them just last month and has pictures in his gallery.

Bluemach1

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3378613

Back to top Go down

Post  turbobob924 Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks guys for all the feedback...

944-LT1 wrote
Pretty costly stuff Bob. Like, 1.2K area Shocked ....Are you really making that much power?

Yes, my last dyno run was 560ft lbs at the wheels. This is like 658 at the flywheel!
However, I did swap my built V6 for another one. Less cubes but better flowing heads. Should make same HP up the top end but less torque on the bottom end. As further evidence I have regularly maxed out the 6 50 lb injectors to 100% duty cycle at the track which translates to over 600 hp!

I think Im going to stick with quarter master and see what new setup they can come up with....
Otherwise I'll need another custom flywheel too..
turbobob924
turbobob924

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:56 pm

Any leadway on the clutch master booster??? Or did you end up just doing squat thrusts Laughing You should look into brake servos! They make them for old british cars that never had any brake booster. They are remote and run off of the engines vacuum. So its just a line from the clutch master to the servo and a line from the servo to the slave. It just installs inline of your exsiting line. Boost ratio is 2:1. You can mount it anywhere/its tiny. Cost is about 150.00 for the kit. Would be neat to see results of the system and your quads. Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Or, have you seen our thread on updating the clutch master to wilwood/tilton? Maybe an aftermarket clutch master would help? Or, an aftermarket clutch master AND the servo and you could push the clutch in with your finger tips. Laughing Laughing

I would be very interested if you can find a multidisc clutch kit with our splines and bolts to the GM flywheel!! Cool

Regardless, keep us (me) updated!!!

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:30 pm

You know....and off your topic sorry,but now thinking about it, if someone was to use Robs dual brake master cylinder bracket and the two tilton brake master cylinders, they could (theoretically) use two of these servos; 1 for the front circuit and one for the rear to get easy cheap boost since both masters are single circuits. Very Happy

If I had that dual master bracket and the two tilton masters, I would mount the front brake servo in the fenderwell and the rear servo in one of the rear fender wells. Razz

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

twin disk clutch setups Empty Twin disc

Post  Max Energy Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 pm

944-LT1,
This is a complete kit (Magnum Force McLoad) with Lightweight Flywheel and twin disc clutch pack.
The reason I went with this arrangement was not do to the Horsepower/Torque issue, but more to get to the lightest Clutch Flywheel set-up.
I am starting around 500HP at the motor.
Regarding Brakes, I have a Ford Cobra hydroboost I am going to try.
Max
Max Energy
Max Energy

Back to top Go down