944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Similar topics
Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" EmptyToday at 12:47 am by sharkey

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

LS engine & Trans "upfront", Mustang IRS in the "rear"

4 posters

Go down

LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" Empty LS engine & Trans "upfront", Mustang IRS in the "rear"

Post  dibelka Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:20 pm

I'm new to this forum and would appreciate hearing from anyone that has swapped an LS engine and transmission upfront into a 944 with a mustang 8.8 IRS differential in the rear.

I know there are some that will object to this type of conversion, for all the obvious reasons, but I have a '84 944 with 200K on the OD that I purchased new. I hate the noisy closed driveline and would enjoy a challenge  to make this machine go again....

Thanks,

Prof D

dibelka

Back to top Go down

LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" Empty Re: LS engine & Trans "upfront", Mustang IRS in the "rear"

Post  sharkey Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:39 pm

there is a member here working on a 3.8l gm v6 in full cali emissions trim. he is using a gm t5 and a ford 8.8 solid axle. i think that would be the closest to what you want to do.

if you can fab and do sheet metal work it wont be an issue. plan to cut much of the floor out, and your gonna lose the hvac system. your also going to lose significant amounts of legroom, these cars are quite small and the torque tube allows the tunnel to be very narrow allowing for a lot more room. eliminating putting a transmission in the front makes things tight.

what are you looking to build? a drag car? if so, go about it the way your thinking. if your looking for a comfortable street car i would reconsider putting the trans up front.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

LS engine & Trans "upfront",  Mustang IRS in the "rear" Empty Re: LS engine & Trans "upfront", Mustang IRS in the "rear"

Post  dibelka Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:40 pm

Yes, if I could contract that person with the 8.8 rear end, that would be great.

Also, thanks for your suggestions. I had not considered how a trans upfront would restrict leg room. I'm already a little cramped with the stock leg room.

I mostly want a street/daily driver. I know there will be lots of fab work, but that's the fun of it all.

With an aluminum engine I've read that the weight upfront will decrease by about 100lb and adding a tans will add about 100lb, keeping the front end weight about the same. Going to an IRS rear end, I'll lose the weight in the rear.

Prof D

dibelka

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 am

an aluminum block ls is very close to the same weight completely dressed as the 2.5l turbo is completely dressed, the end result is the weight in that case will be very similar. you for sure will not lose 100lbs off the nose doing any v8 swap. by the time most swaps are complete the cars have gained a little nose weight, with an aluminum block engine its neglidgeable, with an iron block ls its close to 100lbs.

putting a trans on the back of the engine will put around 2/3rds that weight on the front end. i think by the time you eliminate the torque tube and transaxle, rear suspension and replace it with a solid axle you will be a wash on rear weight. if you want to run irs, just use the stock rear suspension with an 8.8 irs diff from an explorer.

if its a street car i just dont see the attraction to going this route. with 450+ hp v8, a turbo transaxle with a stiffening plate will hold everything but launching on sticky tires at a dragstrip.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sparkydog Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:59 pm

I did a lot of mocking up of an 8.8 IRS before ultimately deciding to switch to a solid axle 8.8.

Here on this forum I didn't get into much detail about why I gave up on the IRS 8.8. But here is a link to another forum where I did get into more details:

Linky de Link Link

That will take you the page where I started hanging the 8.8 diff and looking at how it would work with the stock 944 suspension. Post 209.
sparkydog
sparkydog

Back to top Go down

Post  toysche928 Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:35 pm

I have put a 4.3 Lexus V8 in a 928, engine and transmission at the front, Wisache retained , with a borg warner 3.08 LSD at the back in a custom cradle, custom drive and half shafts..
Tunnel had to be enlarged to make room for the trans, engine and trans weighed just under what the 928 engine only weighed, Borge warner was about 1/4 the weight of the transaxle, no noticeable difference in the cabin with the wider tunnel, still using the original tunnel  trim, slightly modded shifter surround.  
Balance close to original 50/50, now 53 front, 47 rear. car approx. 200 pound lighter. no reason why an LS with trannie up front , and IRS would be any harder in a 944.  
can post a few pic's if you are interested
Russ

toysche928

Back to top Go down

Post  dibelka Fri May 08, 2020 4:01 pm

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions, especially Sparkydog with all the pictures and the play by play. I'm still sold on the idea of putting an Mustang IRS in the rear with a LS engine and tranny up front. I have the 944 setting in the yard waiting for me and recently I bought a 8.8 IRS pumpkin off craigslist. After reading Sparkdog's battle with the Mustang metal graft into the 944, I think I'll just scrap the entire 944 rear suspension, transaxle and torsion bar thing as well (even though I love TB suspensions). My first thought is to design and build a 4 link subframe with coil overs and holder for the pumpkin, outside the 944. Once all the suspension parts are installed on the subframe, I'll then whack into the 944 rear frame/body. I suspect I'll need to pretty much cut out all the sheet metal and other things in the way. I don't like making major mods under the car, so once the rear floor pan is gone, I'll be able to work from above. These are all just thoughts at the moment and I need to get my wife's rav4 engine rebuilt to make room in the garage for the 944.
Prof D

dibelka

Back to top Go down