944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Similar topics
Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Brakes and Steering Help EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Brakes and Steering Help EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Brakes and Steering Help EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Brakes and Steering Help EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Brakes and Steering Help EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Brakes and Steering Help EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Brakes and Steering Help EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Brakes and Steering Help EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Brakes and Steering Help EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Brakes and Steering Help EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Brakes and Steering Help

4 posters

Go down

Brakes and Steering Help Empty Brakes and Steering Help

Post  Red944ls1 Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:39 am

Hello all, I need some help. I have never truly been able to sort out my power steering issues. I am currently running the bmw H31 hydroboost system. I initially tried the mustand unit but unlike everyone else it would not fit..it was too big and was hitting my cylinder head. I opted to go with the bmw system because it was slimmer and allowed to use the original porsche master cylinder.

It seems however I cannot get this system to be consistent. I constantly bleeding it to get air out I guess. It will work sometimes when it's cold about not when hot. I would like to change to a more reliable system that is easier to manage
I still want power steering and brakes.

Can anyone make suggestions ..I am open to electric systems or hydroboost from other cars that are know to work. I do not want manual steering and brakes..

I thank you very much.

Red

Red944ls1

Back to top Go down

Brakes and Steering Help Empty Re: Brakes and Steering Help

Post  948 Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:51 am

Those are really the only 3 choices. Was the HB hitting the head or the valve cover? Most remove the section of valve cover to gain clearance. Is your engine lowered? That will help.

If you fix the current system there would be no need to change....Where is the air coming in?
Is your reservoir high enough?

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Here's some other options in these threads.

https://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t2904-manual-brakes-for-85-5-n-a-car#32889

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthority.com/blog/2015/10/the-detailed-journey-of-dropping-a-5-3-ls-engine-into-a-porsche-944-and-what-happens/amp/
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  87944turbo Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 pm

I have the H31 system as well and it took me a little while to get things working the way I wanted.

It seems however I cannot get this system to be consistent. I constantly bleeding it to get air out I guess. wrote:

What method(s) are you using to bleed the system? I thought the system would self bleed. I have the stock steering pump reservoir and with the reservoir being the highest point in the system, it seemed to me that air should naturally make it’s way to this point over time. However, I continued to have issues with a soft brake pedal. I eventually tried pressing the pedal with the engine off, using the accumulator (bomb) to force fluid though the system. This worked excellent and solved my soft pedal issue, works great now!

For the record I had to run though that process a few times to get the air to clear out completely. I chased this issue for quite a while b/c I changed to the hydroboost and had to replace my brake lines at the same time. So there was no way to tell it if was air in the brake lines, air in the hydroboost, or something else causing the issue.

I constantly bleeding it to get air out I guess. It will work sometimes when it's cold about not when hot.. wrote:

This could be an issue with your brake fluid in your master cylinder getting too hot. I would suspect that your MC, like mine, sits right over the headers. The fluid for the hydroboost circulates which in theory at least would seem to help to cool that unit and the fluid itself (I also pass that fluid through a cooler near the radiator). The brake fluid in the MC however just sits there. I don’t know about you, but my MC doesn’t have any shielding, and it probably should.

I did however just install some hood vents right over that area. And honestly that seems to have helped the pedal feel more consistent.

FWIW I think the H31 is a good system. But takes some time and patience to get it sorted out. Unfortunately I am currently having an issue where my accumulator won’t hold its charge if I let the car sit for a few days. Also, my stock reservoir is too small to hold the extra fluid from the accumulator if it dumps its charge. So I don’t start it and run it about every 3 days or so, I will wind up with roughly a ½ quart of fluid on the garage floor. I have since put a pan under it, but it’s certainly not a long term solution. I have a new accumulator on the way, but the only new ones I could find were from Latvia. I ordered it June 2nd and it’s supposed to be arriving today…

87944turbo

Back to top Go down