944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) EmptyToday at 12:47 am by sharkey

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved)

+2
Rich L.
MotoRider42HC
6 posters

Go down

Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) Empty Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved)

Post  MotoRider42HC Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:27 pm

I kept finding these little ceramic beads rolling around my shop floor, and for the life of me i couldn't find where they were coming from. I was scared to death someone at the engine shop stuff them into my engine because they hated their job or some $#**.

BUT THEN

I found out they were lodged inside my TPC manifolds, and randomly falling out whenever I banged on the engine.

Some of these are pretty much stuck forever, but I am afraid that a lot of them will fall out during driving, and possibly damage my Catalytic converter or just bounce around inside my muffler and make tons of noise.

ANY SUGGESTIONS!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Update: Solved:
I beat the $#** out of the manifolds with a Rubber Mallet. And all but (5) of the beads fell out. I talked directly with TPC and they said they'd talk to the manufacturer about this design flaw.
I'm hoping once the engine heats-up, the pipes will expand, and the rest of the beads will fall out. I'll just have to run open headers for a few days, haha.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by MotoRider42HC on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) Empty Re: Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved)

Post  Rich L. Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:42 am

Whoa, that's really weird. Did you have your headers ceramic coated? Is a bead form how the ceramic stuff starts out? Dunno Man, I would want to get those out of there too. My long tubes are from TPC, ceramic coated but didn't have those beads in them... at least that I noticed...
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved) Empty Re: Defective Manifolds? Polishing Beads Stuck In Them! (Solved)

Post  MotoRider42HC Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:02 am

Yeah, they were ceramic coated. I have to take the headers off anyway, to get the spark plugs out, so i'm going to beat on them with a rubber mallet and try to get the beads out. If they don't come out, i'm going to try and return them to TPC. Can't have those beads messing-up my cat or muffler.

P.S. Do you like the long-tubes? Have any pictures underneath the car? Since i'm offroading, i have to be super careful with how low the exhaust hangs.
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  chrenan Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:46 am

MotoRider42HC wrote:P.S.  Do you like the long-tubes?  Have any pictures underneath the car?  Since i'm offroading, i have to be super careful with how low the exhaust hangs.

The bottom of the long tubes are at the same level as the bottom of the oil pan, so if you're hitting the headers on the ground you're hitting the pan.

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:16 pm

Update:

I took the manifolds off and beat the living $#** out of them with a rubber mallet. All but (5) polishing beads are left in them.

My plan is to start the engine with "open headers" and let them rattle out on their own.

Then put my exhaust on.

LOL!

Such a pain, haha.
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric00433 Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:54 pm

I’m glad someone else did theirs without a lift. Makes me feel better about what I am about to put myself through. What parts did you order from TPC? I am not sure I really need everything in the kits. What is your thoughts on this?

Sent from Topic'it App

Eric00433

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm glad i bought the Deluxe kit... because even with it, there was still so much $#** to buy. LOL
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  chrenan Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 am

I bought the deluxe kit as well, you still need to buy a ton of other little bits and pieces.

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric00433 Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Yea I am gathering parts now but doing it manually instead of kit as I won’t need the speed sensor, throttle wire as mine is drive by wire and I want the long tube headers instead of the shorty. What other little items outside of the deluxe package should I plan for. Already went full suspension upgrade, wilwood 4 piston calipers and slotted and drilled rotors for safety. Bought a rebuilt turbo s trans as well for lsd and cooler. What little parts are you guys seeing from your swaps that I should probably prepare for? I appreciate the help.

Sent from Topic'it App

Eric00433

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Update: Solved:
I beat the $#** out of the manifolds with a Rubber Mallet. And all but (5) of the beads fell out. I talked directly with TPC and they said they'd talk to the manufacturer about this design flaw.
I'm hoping once the engine heats-up, the pipes will expand, and the rest of the beads will fall out. I'll just have to run open headers for a few days, haha.
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  matt889 Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 am

the beads wont just melt at temperature the Exhaust runs ?

matt889

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 am

They're ceramic polishing beads.
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  sparkydog Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Harbor Freight (or similar) sells surgical forceps that can probably reach down in there and let you grab the remaining stuck ones and yank them out.
sparkydog
sparkydog

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

You are a god! I will try!!!
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down