HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
December 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

New quicktime bellhousing

Go down

New quicktime bellhousing Empty New quicktime bellhousing

Post  turbobob924 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:34 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
turbobob924
turbobob924

http://www.turbo924.com

Back to top Go down

New quicktime bellhousing Empty Re: New quicktime bellhousing

Post  turbobob924 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:35 pm

Quicktime now sells a bellhousing for our conversions

Very nice piece

Sent from Topic'it App
turbobob924
turbobob924

Back to top Go down

Post  turbobob924 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:22 pm

Here is another new piece
Only944 firewall reinforce plate

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]ate

Sent from Topic'it App
turbobob924
turbobob924

Back to top Go down

Post  turbobob924 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:53 pm

Progress on firewall plate
Very tight fit
My firewall is badly flexed /bent

Sent from Topic'it App
turbobob924
turbobob924

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:29 pm

turbobob924 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quicktime now sells a bellhousing for our conversions

Very nice piece

Sent from Topic'it App

You picked up some weight with a steel unit vs. the C5 aluminum unit but it looks like a good solution if you wanted positive scatter shield protection.  It's cool that the connection plate for the Porsche torque tube is built right in.

The dust shield provided in the package obviously fits between the block and bellhousing and has me wondering if I need that type for proper starter engagement.  It will also impact my throw out bearing clearance calculations.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:12 pm

the starter on a chevy bolts to the engine block, not the bellhousing, so the block saver plate (its not a dust, its designed to save the block from taking an impact in the event of a flywheel failure) makes no difference to the starter engagement.

yes the steel bellhousing does add some weight over an aluminum corvette bellhousing, and while clutch/flywheel failures are rare id rather take that weight penalty for the added safety. ever see the end result of a flywheel or clutch explosion? a cast aluminum bellhousing and the sheet metal floor doesn't even begin to slow the shrapnel down on its way into the car.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  turbobob924 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:16 pm

Not to mention that there is no adaptor to worry about loosening up the torque tube connection area

Sent from Topic'it App
turbobob924
turbobob924

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:26 pm

sharkey wrote:the starter on a chevy bolts to the engine block, not the bellhousing, so the block saver plate (its not a dust, its designed to save the block from taking an impact in the event of a flywheel failure) makes no difference to the starter engagement.

yes the steel bellhousing does add some weight over an aluminum corvette bellhousing, and while clutch/flywheel failures are rare id rather take that weight penalty for the added safety. ever see the end result of a flywheel or clutch explosion? a cast aluminum bellhousing and the sheet metal floor doesn't even begin to slow the shrapnel down on its way into the car.

Sharkey....thanks for the clarification!  Once again my Mopar background clouded my recollection.  Embarassed

So now you have me wondering if I need a "block saver plate."  Is this a stock item? Didn't have one in my box of parts but I'm thinking maybe I should install one.  I found a QuickTime "Motor Plate" on-line for $116.  It's aluminum.  Your thoughts??

The 0.125" width of this plate will change my throw-out bearing clearance (A-B) measurement from 0.151" to 0.276" which is a too large based on my calculations and also outside the SPEC recommended range.  If I add the TPC shim plate, A-B goes back to 0.161" which would be OK.  My target clearance value is 0.156".

Not sure if I need the steel bellhousing.  I was a fan of "Big Daddy" Don Garlits when he lost his foot to an exploding clutch...and admittedly, I used a scatter shield on my Mopar build because of that concern.  I knew I would be launching it hard and slammin the gears.  Something tells me the Porsche transaxle will detonate before the clutch.  Suspect
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:20 pm

gm engines never came with a "block saver" plate from factory. its best not to add one with a factory style bellhousing as it changes the total depth of the bellhousing. with the quicktime bellhousings, if they include a block saver plate with the bellhousing they have engineered the plate into the total depth of the bellhousing, and it needs to be used.

weather you need a steel bellhousing or not, thats up to you. every car i build (and i build them for a living) that has significantly increased horsepower, or thats going to be driven hard gets a steel bellhousing. years ago my dad told me a story about a time when he was out racing (may have been in "mexico") and he witnessed a flywheel explosion in a 427 corvette, and the end result was the guy lost both his legs. for the cost of the corvette bellhousing and the adapter plate to bolt it into our cars, i dont know why you wouldnt spend the couple hundred extra dollars for the piece of mind. yea its more than likely the transaxle will fail before a flywheel/clutch does, but what if it doesnt?

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:12 am

Definitely words of wisdom! So many things can go wrong which is why it's so important to follow the specs and use compatible components.

When I get this beast of mine on the road, I'll be driving it "gently" because of the transaxle. After I get it on a dyno and do some tuning to see what kind of power the engine makes, I'll know for sure if I'm outside the safe range of the factory GM design. If I manage to pick up 75-100 HP over stock, I'll be happy but I'll also have a few new projects on my hands...starting with a steel bellhousing!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  jerome12 on Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:19 am

turbobob924 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Do you know the part numbers for the retainer and throwout bearing needed with this bellhousing? I just ordered mine.

jerome12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum