HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

March 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

BMW Hyrdoboost Questions

Go down

BMW Hyrdoboost Questions

Post  87944turbo on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:22 pm

I recently completed the engine swap on my car and am now having issues with the hydroboost. I had started it and let it run several times w/out issue. Recently, the PS pump started making noise. It will sound like this maybe 10 - 15 seconds after I start the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_BPTTAjQ4M

Bleeding the system is a little different for my setup, since I don't have a PS rack. I have that port capped off on the hydroboost regulator. I simply would fill it, start it, check how much the fluid went down, and refill. Fluid level at this point is stable.

Also, when it starts making noise like this, it heats up really quickly. I shot some temps of the fluid w/a hand held thermometer and temps were over 100 degrees F.

87944turbo

Back to top Go down

Re: BMW Hyrdoboost Questions

Post  spence on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:19 pm

That sounds like cavitation. I actually had that problem too. Turned out to be an adapter fitting I used to feed the pump had a step machined into it. I drilled the fitting out to a full 1/2" thru and the cavitation went away.
I don't think you should've capped the ps line even though your not using it. Run it back to the reservoir. I'm not sure if that would cause the problem your having or not.

Is your fluid full of bubbles?
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  87944turbo on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:12 pm

I haven't examined the fittings, but it does seem like there must be some sort of restriction somewhere?  I'll check on that, starting with the outlet from the pump.

Yeah I went back and forth on capping the PS line.  

I was using this for reference.  And it looked to me like the line going to the PS rack is a high pressure line (shown in dark red on the diagram).  I was worried that if I plumbed it directly to the reservoir, I would be sending high pressure fluid to the reservoir." />

Last edited by 87944turbo on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

87944turbo

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:19 pm

I'm running a mustang hydroboost and a manual rack. I ran the ps line back to the reservoir. That ps line is a high pressure line; but that fluid needs to go somewhere. I bet that's your problem. That line wouldn't be under any pressure anyway unless you restrict it (Turing your wheel). Since you dont have anything hooked up to it, it just acts as a return line.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  87944turbo on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks for your help! Are you using the LS style pump and reservoir?

I really wish there was a way to add another return port to the reservoir. With my setup, the three returns shown in the picture all come together. I wonder if that is a problem?

87944turbo

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:12 pm

The pump I'm using is actually from a jeep Cherokee, but it's the same style as the ls pump. I ran both return lines separately in the reservoir. One goes thru a cooler and one goes straight in. I bet teeing all the lines together is a bad idea.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:02 am

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/OEM-52089300AB-Fits-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-WJ-2001-2004-Power-Steering-Pump/323595858859?hash=item4b57d0f3ab:g:uF0AAOSwU65cENQ0

That pump is from a jeep Cherokee that uses a hydraulic powered cooling fan. Its susposed to be a very high flowing pump because of the fan (maybe the guys using both power steering and hydroboost should look into it).
I bet that reservoir would fit on your pump if you wanted two return ports on a stock reservoir mounted on the pump. I'm using a custom remote reservoir that I made out of some stainless pipe.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  87944turbo on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:09 am

That's really interesting, I have never heard of anything using hydraulic powered fans. I wonder what they use to regulate the speed of the fans? Like you said, a pump designed for that would seemingly easily handle hydroboost and power steering. I wondered with some systems if it is an issue if you are turning and braking simultaneously.

Really appreciate the link, going to look into if that would work with the pump that I have. I also have questions out to this guy. Seems pretty knowledgeable regarding hydroboost and seems to have specific knowledge for the hydroboost setup on 944 LS conversions.

http://www.powerbrakeservice.net/

87944turbo

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:08 pm

The only thing I could see being different is the feed inlet diameter on that pump, it may be bigger. Since you have three return lines, you might have to make something or modify your existing reservoir somehow. I dont think teeing three lines together is gonna work.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down