HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» FS: LS1 Swapped 1985.5 944
85.5 944 LS Adventure - Page 2 EmptyToday at 5:24 pm by turbobob924

» Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage
85.5 944 LS Adventure - Page 2 EmptyToday at 5:03 pm by Hotrodz of Dallas

» 86 Porsche 944T LS1 swap begins
85.5 944 LS Adventure - Page 2 EmptyToday at 1:15 pm by smkn951

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
85.5 944 LS Adventure - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:17 am by smkn951

» HELP!!!! Need a little help with final wiring connections....
85.5 944 LS Adventure - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 6:29 pm by Midevil1981

» 1987 944 conversion Available
85.5 944 LS Adventure - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 11:39 am by Rothaus

» WTB 928 LS Swapped, Auto Trans. Also advice needed
85.5 944 LS Adventure - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 7:20 pm by Saintanky

» FS: TPC Motor Mounts
85.5 944 LS Adventure - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 10:53 am by Jchard944

» Early Tach not working with LS3?
85.5 944 LS Adventure - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 8:13 pm by superman22x

» 85.5 944 LS Adventure
85.5 944 LS Adventure - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 4:07 pm by departeg

September 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

85.5 944 LS Adventure

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

85.5 944 LS Adventure - Page 2 Empty Re: 85.5 944 LS Adventure

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:06 pm

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:46 pm

August 12, 2019: So this week is pretty crucial to finish the suspension and brakes. I'm going to be driving the car to Slidell this Saturday TO START THE LS SWAP! This moment is 2 years in the making. Just pulled the passenger side yesterday, replaced the brake lines with stainless steel and am replacing the bearings tonight. If I can get everything done in time I'll probably remove the torsion bars from the rear to level out the car.
Saturday:
-Remove 2.5L 4 cylinder.
-Powerwash engine bay
-Prep 5.7L LS6 V8 for install
-Plumb Mustang Hydroboost
Sunday:
-Wrap headers in titanium wrap
-Monday:
-Install LS
-Go nuts doing donuts
Pro tip: if you have a spacer that's stuck and stomping on the brakes isn't helping stab the rotor vent with a screw driver to give you the resistance you need.

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:50 pm

August 17, 2019: What a day. So my buddy wanted the car driving fine before it got to the shop which meant I had to bleed the brakes starting early this morning. So I got the car bled (you can see the old fluid in the water bottle). Once everything was done I had to load the car up with all the swap parts, which surprisingly has a lot of room due to the back hatch. The next step is one I've been dreading for the past 2 years. I have driven the car multiple times on short trips, but never during the middle of the day, and never during the dog days of summer. I never intended to keep the original engine, so virtually no maintenance was done. 3 concerns with making a trip to Slidell in this car under its own power.
1. The timing belt could snap and ruin the motor. On top of ruining the motor that I'm going to be selling, I would have to get towed, and it's like Guadalajara out there.
2. The car overheats. Older cars have cooling systems that need to be updated as they age. As I had no intention of keeping the engine or cooling, I never updated the car to make sure it ran cool. The car could overheat, and possibly catch fire, burning the car and all subsequent parts to the ground.
3. Either of the two above scenarios happens and I'm left stranded in New Orleans East in a bright red Porsche with boxes full of valuable new LS motor parts.
Luckily the car ran like a champ. The coilovers were so nice and really made me excited getting on and off on-ramps. They are the perfect combo of comfort and performance. I made it to my destination and everything worked out. The motor pull was an absolute nightmare. The engine is usually dropped from the bottom. Some people go from the top and it works for them. We decided since my friend is going to be tuning it on the street and to avoid realigning everything we'd also pull it from the top. Since the car is the same age as me most of the bolts are very reluctant to be broke free requiring extra "negotiating" to coax them out of their perches. The torque tube shaft was really being a pain freeing from the bell housing.
In the end, and thanks IN A BIG PART to my friend and his amazing shop unbridled determination, and kingdom of every tool known to man, the engine is out. Ironically it takes up more space in the bay than the new and bigger displacement V8. (see pictures of them side by side). LS had her first bath and will get another one and will be fully dressed before install.
The next step is dressing out the motor. I'm considering painting it either black or a black/red combo. My friend test fit the headers and once in the car it's going to be virtually impossible to reach the starter without removing the headers(a pain). So I'll be buying a new starter and also based on his recs, replacing the pulleys and belt system. Since the engine pull was such a tight fit, the motor will be going in "naked", with limited parts attached, and then reassembled once in the engine bay. The great thing about these motors is how easy they are to assemble/reassemble. I liken it to Tonka toys. My BMW is in the hands of a highly-skilled machinist who has multiple specialized tools due to the dual overhead cams (LS is single and in the block). As such the heads and other engine components can easily be swapped on and off fairly quickly.
Next step once the motor is in and components are back on is the Ford Hydroboost system for the brakes and power steering. Then wiring everything (I have a professionally made LS Swap harness). Then installing the radiator/fans/hoses. Then the misc. items such as marrying the tachometer, oil pressure, temperature, vehicle speed sensor, intake filter placement, and AC components install. My friend is going to throw a generic tune to get the car running with open headers. I'll bring it to a muffler shop to have them fab up exhaust and then bring it back to him for a final tune. I'm making a list of the things to do after the swap, which include:
-Rear bearing/rotors/pads replacement
-Bushing replacement on suspension
-Finish Script door handle install on both sides
-Internal wiring for stereo install
-Ceramic window tint all around
-Make front splitter
-Shampoo interior and replace shift boot
-Final detail and coatings
That should complete the car. Granted the above list may take 3-4 months but overall I'm getting much closer to finishing than before.

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:52 pm

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:55 pm

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:57 pm

August 20th,2019: Today was a day of improvisations. Most engine swaps need tons of custom parts to marry not related parts to each other. To help you buy a swap kit that includes most of these parts. No matter how great the kit is, there's usually something they've messed up on. So today's mission was to dress the motor and get the car in. The engine got a new pickup tube to match the new custom oil pan. The pan was not all the way flat. Since it requires welding pieces of the pan together sometimes you end up with a warped pan. Luckily we got it to work.
I picked up some maintenance items for the motor while it was out of the car and easy to replace such as front main seal, rear main seal, new knock sensor(luckily the car has one near new knock sensor already), new starter, new tensioner and pulleys. I power washed out the engine bay after it had been doused on gunk remover. Looks great really.
Dropping the motor was a chore since it wouldn't clear the crossmember. Not only that, but mating the torque tube with the engine is a pain. We went ahead and installed the bellhousing and clutch kit first. We needed to drill out the bolt holes for the bell housing to properly mate up.
We took off the harmonic balancer, moved AC lines and removed the brake booster(starts with me upside down under the dash) to give more room. Shoehorning a huge motor into a small car is not easy. Ultimately after sawzalling some gussets we were able to squeeze the motor in. Super close now.

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:58 pm

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:59 pm

I know these are probably all out of order. Uploading them three at a time is a PITA.

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Today was a day of improvisations. Most engine swaps need tons of custom parts to marry not related parts to each other. To help you buy a swap kit that includes most of these parts. No matter how great the kit is, there's usually something they've messed up on. So today's mission was to dress the motor and get the car in. The engine got a new pickup tube to match the new custom oil pan. The pan was not all the way flat. Since it requires welding pieces of the pan together sometimes you end up with a warped pan. Luckily we got it to work.
I picked up some maintenance items for the motor while it was out of the car and easy to replace such as front main seal, rear main seal, new knock sensor(luckily the car has one near new knock sensor already), new starter, new tensioner and pulleys. I power washed out the engine bay after it had been doused on gunk remover. Looks great really.
Dropping the motor was a chore since it wouldn't clear the crossmember. Not only that, but mating the torque tube with the engine is a pain. We went ahead and installed the bellhousing and clutch kit first. We needed to drill out the bolt holes for the bell housing to properly mate up.
We took off the harmonic balancer, moved AC lines and removed the brake booster(starts with me upside down under the dash) to give more room. Shoehorning a huge motor into a small car is not easy. Ultimately after sawzalling some gussets we were able to squeeze the motor in. Super close now.

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:00 pm

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:02 pm

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:10 pm

So I called Kent with TPC and ordered some headers, 3-4 week turnaround.

Also need to purchase:

1. Adjustable position thermostat
2. All parts for the cold air intake
3. 02 sensors. Denso only, not sure if they are F-body(flat?) or Corvette style (square?) connectors. Can't order until I find out.
4. Oil pressure sensor adapter
5. Master Cylinder (threw mine away on accident when it was placed on top of the trashcan while draining)
6. Altenator bolts
7. Fix back wheel issues (either brakes or bearing causing it to be hard to spin wheel)
8. Find where to drill hole for wiring harness.
9. Water pump bypass for now to get car running
10. Catch can for PCV

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  948 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:20 pm

Coming along nicely!

#7 - Also check your handbrake adjustment
#8 - if you are mounting the PCM inside the car, passenger footwell, you should use the original hole, most reuse the factory boot if it is not hard and rotted.

departeg wrote:]

So I called Kent with TPC and ordered some headers, 3-4 week turnaround.

Also need to purchase:

1. Adjustable position thermostat
2. All parts for the cold air intake
3. 02 sensors.  Denso only, not sure if they are F-body(flat?) or Corvette style (square?) connectors.  Can't order until I find out.
4. Oil pressure sensor adapter
5. Master Cylinder (threw mine away on accident when it was placed on top of the trashcan while draining)
6. Altenator bolts
7. Fix back wheel issues (either brakes or bearing causing it to be hard to spin wheel)
8. Find where to drill hole for wiring harness.
9. Water pump bypass for now to get car running
10. Catch can for PCV

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Got all of the pieces in except the headers.  Kent said 3-4 weeks on the headers.  I might see if some C5 exhaust manifolds will work for the time being.  Got the fans/alternator/compressor in.

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Also fit the wiring harness thru the OEM hole and connected about 90% of the wires up. My friend is also going to make a custom cold air intake under the driver side headlight. We have about 2 weeks downtime since he just went back to work and the car is at his shop. Also ordered a 7" Kindle Fire used for about $25/OB2 Bluetooth reader -$25 and a universal mount $10/ and got Torque Pro so I can have some more sensors. Not sure if this will work on a non-Can bus car or not but I guess we'll find out. I tried it out on my car and it works beautifully!

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Also test fitted the hood since we put the engine mount spacers on. It's a tight fit but fits, so thats all that matters.

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  departeg on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:07 pm

Some more timelapse/process videos of the swap that I'm just getting around to uploading

Sunvisor vinyl decal install

Old bearings/rotor

New bearings/rotor

departeg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2