HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Dual Manual Brake Master Setup For Sale
Today at 12:47 am by Porsche951toLS3

» Problem with Dual Remote Vacuum Boosters
Today at 12:37 am by Porsche951toLS3

» 1984 Tach wire
Yesterday at 10:54 am by Rich L.

» 1984 944 Tach and Temp wire color
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 pm by Punisher948

» robschwieb's 85.5 944 LS1 Swap
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:03 pm by robschwieb

» 85.5 944 LS Adventure
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:40 pm by departeg

» LS Parts for sale
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 pm by Porsche951toLS3

» Dual headlight motor conversion
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 am by 948

» Passenger footwell
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:07 pm by Plucky948

» WTB - LS Conversion Oil Pan & Pickup
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:21 am by cazbah362

December 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

944 LSD turbo/NA transaxle

Go down

944 LSD turbo/NA transaxle

Post  x.l.r.8 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Going to take apart my race car for a new conversion so i'm selling all the mechanical stuff. First to go is the trans-axle, naturally it a 944 Turbo with LSD and cooler. I put a hardened 944 NA ring and pinion in the transmission to help it with the drag strip and the n50-15 tires I run, but I also have the old 944 turbo ring and pinion if you want the taller gearing. The whole assembly is leak free and still has 'fresh' LSD oil in from the check I did after getting the car here). This rear end will be the perfect one for someone looking for a working transmission ready to just bolt in and drive. If memory serves it will only take a few hours to drop out the car if someone is interested. I'm asking $2000 Canadian. The transmission is in Ontario Canada.
Will drive it to the NY Lewiston bridge border for gas money otherwise postage will be for what ever I have to pay but to be honest its cheaper for you to get it across the boarder in your car than get brokers involved.
x.l.r.8

Back to top Go down

Re: 944 LSD turbo/NA transaxle

Post  knucklehead12 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:10 pm

I need some headers if you are selling them. You can contact me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanks
Lee

knucklehead12

Back to top Go down

Post  x.l.r.8 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:04 pm

I wish I could help you, I have tuned equal length headers (within .5 inch but I had to compromise). Full 3 inch system with flowmaster 2 chamber rear box. But I run a rover V8 not Chevy.
x.l.r.8

Back to top Go down

Post  murrayg on Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:01 am

I'm in Halifax...........thinking.......
How much drag racing did you do with that box?

Gord

murrayg

Back to top Go down

Post  x.l.r.8 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:13 am

I raced for 6 seasons with the 944 turbo ring and pinion, I put the 944 N/A ring gear in to try and get deeper into the 9's, while I was there I changed all the bearings shimmed the pinion gear and checked the rest of the gears. Then the class I ran in broke up and it put us in the 7 second class. Not a hope in hell to be competetive, got knocked out in the qualifiers twice and then moved to Canada for work. Pulled the transmission with a view to racing but it just wasn't the same as street eliminator back in the UK so never bothered. Its sat for 15 years, I moved to Canada in 2003 and drove it from destination to destination just to park it up. Now I have been driving my roadster I had the idea to go electric. I did snap a few drive shafts though, I found that to be the weakest (and cheapest) link so i always carried a few spare.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
That was with the taller Turbo gearing, I figured the tires may break loose witht he lower gearing of I'll keep breaking driveshafts, no bad thing as they are so easy to replace.
x.l.r.8

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:32 pm

x.l.r.8 wrote:I raced for 6 seasons with the 944 turbo ring and pinion, I put the 944 N/A ring gear in to try and get deeper into the 9's

so hang on a second, you were running low 10/high 9s with a 944 transaxle? im assuming thats 1/4 mile and not 1/8 mile.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  x.l.r.8 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Yeah, the rover superstreet series was an index class. 10.5 was the cut off time, sometimes it was a battle of the breakouts because we were very undisciplined as racers, we just wanted to push the rovers as hard as we could. There are at least 12 cars just like mine gathering dust. The pro rovers dipped into 7’s. The winning street car in 93 was only 10.6 seconds on a 3.5 liter block, before we went to 4.3-5.2 liters. The support for the little superlightweight Rover just isn’t available outside the UK. It’s not even a close cousin to the Buick 215 despite what everyone says. My gearing was always to tall to be consistent, if I didn’t bog off the line (usually always) and could keep my revs up I would either mess up a gear change, or blow a gasket. To keep the revs up I would launch on nitrous. But then the demon would kick in and I’d say on the bottle and breakout. So I either had a perfect run 10.2 or under if was wearing my big boy pants and went with 7psi. Or I would fluff it all and run 11.4 the car was far more able than the driver. Even if the lower gearing would have worked I would then be at the threshold of my engine, it’s why I also picked up a spare block and pistons. I don’t think the car would have the legs to have made it much further, hence my decision to go a different route, I don’t want to spend a whole lot of time to find out I’m actually going backwards. I don’t even know if my new configuration will even work, but you gotta have a hobby.

Last edited by x.l.r.8 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I didn’t want anyone to think I had an option of going faster. My car was pushing past it’s limits)
x.l.r.8

Back to top Go down

Post  yamamtx on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:56 pm

It is great to see that the trans was holding up to this type of racing! How much HP and how much does the car weigh?

yamamtx

Back to top Go down

Post  x.l.r.8 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:35 pm

On paper just shy of 350hp and a flat torque curve. I had cut weight substancially and the rover engine being about 60 lbs lighter than the 2.0, no interior and only glass was my front windshield. Oh and a 3 gallon fuel cell. 2 stage nitrous of 125hp +75hp. i failed the weight cut off of 2200 lbs but I forget by hpw much. getting the weight off is the key but it then became a race car not a road car. There was talk of having to put in 100lbs of ballast in so i assume the car was shy of 2100lbs. I had no intention of putting weight in the car so I never put it on the scales after, it was more a fact finding mission for the club than punitive measures. This was some 20 years ago, I think I have 20lbs extra of dust on the car now. I hope to be pulling it out this week to clean it off and start taking it apart. I have a feeling the engine will be going back to the UK as there is still a lot of interest in the rovers back there. I have to sort out my axle collection to as I have a few 108mm axles I was going to go up to but I decided swapping axles is much preferable to buying new gearboxes.
x.l.r.8

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:05 pm

and everything i read tells me dont launch these cars, dont go to the dragstrip, dont look at the car the wrong way, have your tongue in the right place, and make sure the planets are aligned before stepping on the throttle or you will break the diff. good to hear thats really not the case

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  x.l.r.8 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:26 pm

I read the same stuff, it’s not new, it’s regurgitated rubbish from the same group of people who say the only way to own a 924/44 is change the belts/waterpump, never heard anyone buyinga new mini get told that! I figured some of those turbo track cars didn’t listen to anyone and where as I was putting a lot more torque they were making up for it using prolonged high rpm at 450hp+ and they never seem to compain half as much as the street driven cars would make you believe. So I decided to ignore what I had heard and never had an issue.
x.l.r.8

Back to top Go down

Post  matt889 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 pm

x.l.r.8 wrote:I read the same stuff, it’s not new, it’s regurgitated rubbish from the same group of people who say the only way to own a 924/44 is change the belts/waterpump, never heard anyone buyinga new mini get told that! I figured some of those turbo track cars didn’t listen to anyone and where as I was putting a lot more torque they were making up for it using prolonged high rpm at 450hp+ and they never seem to compain half as much as the street driven cars would make you believe. So I decided to ignore what I had heard and never had an issue.
You never broke a pinion :O Only axles ? No stubs at the hub ?

matt889

Back to top Go down

Post  x.l.r.8 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:40 pm

3 axles, countless head gaskets, a roller rocker adjuster. Totally grenaded a predator carb, snapped 2 after market speedo drives when the front wheels used to land and funnily enough when I put a genuine Porsche one in it never broke. And that’s about it, the headgadkets were annoying but I have a healthy stock of those.
x.l.r.8

Back to top Go down

Post  x.l.r.8 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just to confirm as I pulled it out today
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
x.l.r.8

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down