HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Passenger footwell
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:41 pm by Porsche951toLS3

» 85.5 944 LS Adventure
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:55 pm by ryan08

» Dual Manual Brake Master Setup For Sale
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:09 pm by sharkey

» Problem with Dual Remote Vacuum Boosters
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:37 am by Porsche951toLS3

» 1984 Tach wire
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:54 am by Rich L.

» 1984 944 Tach and Temp wire color
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 pm by Punisher948

» robschwieb's 85.5 944 LS1 Swap
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:03 pm by robschwieb

» LS Parts for sale
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 pm by Porsche951toLS3

» Dual headlight motor conversion
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 am by 948

» WTB - LS Conversion Oil Pan & Pickup
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:21 am by cazbah362

December 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

944 with LS3 Brake Fluid Fire Mistake

Go down

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:17 pm

I wanted to share my mistake that is fine now, but anyone can learn from my error.

I had a fire on my headers for 15 seconds..................here is the story.  affraid

Car:  Porsche 944 Turbo with new crate LS3.....new new new for everything.

Issue:  I found a puddle of fluid near the front driver's side area and determined it was brake fluid.  Confused since everything is new to include the brakes, I started searching.  I found the brake system reservoir had leaked from the nipple that normally feeds the clutch master.  My clutch master ended up having it's own separate reservoir, so I put a rubber cap on the brake master reservoir nipple and secured it.  The rubber nipple had split and leaked after being on there for about a month.  I realized that I made the error by not using the right rubber or brake fluid rubber hose so this split was my fault.  Ok, now what?  I had to clean it up and I fixed it with the correct brake fluid rubber line with a plug.

I figured I would start the car and let the residual brake fluid smoke off of the headers.  Well that was stupid since some of the brake fluid had lightly puddled where the headers merge.  As it got hot enough, the smoke became a fire the size of my fist and my fire extinguisher was on hand to put that out with two short squirts.  I felt really stupid that I did not rinse all of this off before heating up the engine which only has 30 miles on it.  

I realize now that since there are headers under the brake reservoirs with this new engine.  Originally this car had the headers on the other side along with a metal separation piece for the brake master from the engine.  So here is my question and request for discussion please.  Is there a solution out there to keep this from happening again keeping brake fluid away from hot headers that are located right below all of these lines.  Even the ability to keep more heat away from the brake lines would be a plus.  Has anyone addressed this in their build?  Anyone have this same problem?  All discussions are appreciated.  

I am happy this happened in my garage and not while out on the road.  It make a great case for keeping a small extinguisher in your car.
Porsche951toLS3

http://n4cr@comcast.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 944 with LS3 Brake Fluid Fire Mistake

Post  sharkey on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:31 pm

most people dont realise how flammable brake fluid really is. ive seen several fires caused by brake fluid. its good you had an extinguisher on hand and got it under control quickly, just another case for why its important to have an extinguisher in the car.

i cant really comment on how to address the heat issue as i dont have a v8 swapped car, however it would be wise to have an aluminum heat shield between the master cylinder/brake lines and the header to protect the braking system from absorbing the heat, as well as deflecting any possible leaks away from the exhaust.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:54 am

Yikes! Scary story and glad all's well. I have an extinguisher in the car and another hung on the garage wall. Good precautions I've not had to use. A Buddy I'm helping these days has done a full-on fire suppression system in his car with nozzles pointed at each header and each seat. Thinking about doing the same.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:13 pm

Maybe you could post what that fire suppression system is or how it works out with installation. I have seen in the old days the halon systems that point directly to the fire from the broken plastic line that is across the engine. Anything you can post with pictures would be great. I am all about protecting my investment.
Porsche951toLS3

http://n4cr@comcast.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down