HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» What header is everyone using?
Yesterday at 10:58 pm by 948

» Still pulling away like a freight train supercharged 944 LS1
Yesterday at 4:25 pm by acorad

» How to bleed LS1 w/ 951 radiator?
Yesterday at 12:51 pm by acorad

» Oil Pan question
Yesterday at 9:41 am by Rothaus

» 83' Porsche 944 LM7 Build
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:39 pm by Jchard944

» Throttle body question
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm by Rothaus

» Posche 924 Audi 4.2 V8 ABZ
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:25 am by Ralphhh

» New convert under way
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 am by kevin924kevin

» Magnuson supercharged car?
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:08 pm by Michael B.

» 1994 porsche 968 For Sale LT1- MAKE OFFER
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 pm by Dawgz83948

February 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

robschwieb's 85.5 944 LS1 Swap

Go down

robschwieb's 85.5 944 LS1 Swap

Post  robschwieb on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:34 am

Hey guys, figured I quit dragging my feet and start a proper build thread. The wealth of information, pictures, and other users' swap threads have proved invaluable so far. This project of mine wouldn't be possible without this place so I'd just like to say thanks!

Last summer I bought a 85.5 944 from a doctor up in Michigan with the sole purpose of LS swapping it. The body was pretty clean and the lack of rust made this an ideal candidate. The paint leaves much to be desired but I can always worry about that once this thing is up and running. After getting the car home I discovered it had the M030 sway bars which was a nice surprise.

I drove it over the summer months while acquiring swap parts and a used LS1. Good thing I was planning to refresh/upgrade the suspension because the stock stuff was toast. My first goal was to gather and install all of the 944/951 parts needed to support the new power. Below is a list of what all I upgraded/replaced.

-250lb front springs
-28mm rear torsion bars
-Koni sports front and rear
-Turbo 9U trans (LSD, no cooler, 5th gear swap)
-Drilled & slotted rotors front rear
-Performance pads
-Euromeister 17x8 & 17x9 wheels
-Sumitomo HTR Z III's 225x45R front & 255x40R rear
-New ball joints & tie rod ends
-Re-manufactured steering rack
-Custom aluminium 951 radiator

In August I came across a LS1 out of a WS6 Firebird with 80k miles. It included the ECU, harness, and all front end accessories except for the AC compressor. He wanted $1,200 for it all, a no-brainer in my book!

The engine is finally stripped down and everything looked really good. Cylinder walls were all flawless and no metal on the magnetic drain plug. I'm currently waiting on my cam kit from Texas Speed Performance before I can finishing building the engine. I want to be at 400whp and 400wtq and here is how I plan to accomplish it:

-LS6 intake manifold
-42lb injectors
-243 heads
-TSP 224R cam (.600/.600 with 114 LSA)
-PAC 1219 springs
-COMP Cams trunnion retrofit
-LS7 lifters & trays
-Solid tune
-New oil pump
-New water pump
-New timing chain set
-New seals and gaskets all around

Now, on to some specifics of my particular build. I'll be using the Ford hydroboost in conjunction with the stock MC and power steering. Also throwing a small radiator in this circuit too keep it cool. I plan to keep the AC functional but that's low on my priority list. I'm going to keep the 944 system and just adapt the GM compressor like others have done. Stock fans will be controlled by GM PCM via the easy "2-wire method".

I bought almost all of my swap parts from forum user "rfreundt". He was a great guy to deal with and I couldn't beat the price, not to mention a lot of the little details had already been sorted by him.

So, this is where I'm currently at; suspension upgrades done, turbo trans installed, motor is pulled, LS is waiting to be wrapped up, and hydroboost along with new clutch MC are installed with linkages hooked up. I still have to plumb the stock brake MC hard lines but my tube and fittings won't be here till next week. I'm just glad to be done under that cramped dash. That was a nightmare...

I have a long ways to go but I'm excited to finally be making real progress! I'll try to keep updating this thread as I go along and adding pictures to my album.

MY SWAP ALBUM HERE

Last edited by robschwieb on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
robschwieb

Back to top Go down

Re: robschwieb's 85.5 944 LS1 Swap

Post  944-LT1 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Hey Rob Welcome! Looks like its gonna be a beast.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Love that color and the sport seats! Should be an awesome build.

My only advice in looking through your photo album is to ditch that radiator and go with an OEM 944 Turbo radiator. It fits better and cools really well IF it's new and not used with 30 years of gunk inside. Just my .02.

Have fun with the build!
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:17 am

Don't think you're going to hit 400rwhp with that cam, its too mild.

Turbo radiator works well but the hose fitment is challenging...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  robschwieb on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 am

944-LT1 wrote:Hey Rob Welcome! Looks like its gonna be a beast.
That's what I'm going for. Hopefully not too unruly of a beast!  Very Happy
jpkinerk wrote:My only advice in looking through your photo album is to ditch that radiator and go with an OEM 944 Turbo radiator. It fits better and cools really well IF it's new and not used with 30 years of gunk inside. Just my .02.
Hmmm, Ray said he had a local shop near him custom fab it? I does look extremely similar to the cheap turbo radiators scattered all over ebay though...
docwyte wrote:Don't think you're going to hit 400rwhp with that cam, its too mild.
I think it'll be pretty close. I know all engines and dynos are different but there are plenty with this combo right at 400rwhp, if not more depending on their tune. Even if I come up short of 400 I'm positive this will be more than enough power for my application. Only one way to find out for sure though!
robschwieb

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:19 am

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but no, you're not going to be close. Not even in the same neighborhood. Been there, done that.

To make around 400rwhp, with an LS1, in this platform, you need a FAST92/92, Kooks long tube headers, LS6 intake and a more wild cam than a flat 224.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  robschwieb on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:55 am

docwyte wrote:Not to be a Debbie Downer, but no, you're not going to be close.  Not even in the same neighborhood.  Been there, done that.

To make around 400rwhp, with an LS1, in this platform, you need a FAST92/92, Kooks long tube headers, LS6 intake and a more wild cam than a flat 224.  

Like I said previously, results vary but take a look at these threads:

If I'm between 370 & 400 I'll be happy. I do have the LS6 intake, 243 heads, and bigger injectors. TSP has also updated the 224R cam from .581/.581 to .600/.600. Whether that makes much of a difference, I don't know...

I'm not going for max HP on this swap. Just a nice gain over the stock LS1 that keeps good manners and has a nice, linear torque curve.
robschwieb

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 am

Don't look at those results. They're not the same as you see in the 944/951. I got caught out by that as well, for whatever reason, the same parts in an F body or vette make more power than in our cars.

Look at the dynos here and you'll see. I know all the pics in my build thread are broken (F you Photobucket!) but I should have the numbers in the texts from my multiple dynos, setups. Then you'll see...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  robschwieb on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 am

docwyte wrote:Don't look at those results.  They're not the same as you see in the 944/951.  I got caught out by that as well, for whatever reason, the same parts in an F body or vette make more power than in our cars.

Look at the dynos here and you'll see.  I know all the pics in my build thread are broken (F you Photobucket!) but I should have the numbers in the texts from my multiple dynos, setups.  Then you'll see...

We must have some serious drivetrain loss going on then...but I'll take a look at your stuff.

Also, I have some good news for you. I don't know how long it will last but there is a temporary workaround for the stupid Photobucket problem. If you use Chrome for your browser, install this extension: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's been working like a charm for me and is super useful for old forum posts like this one has so many of!
robschwieb

Back to top Go down

Post  robschwieb on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:22 am

Finished up the fuel system last night. Only connection that still needs to be made is from the fuel rail to hard line but obviously that will have to wait until the engine is in.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by robschwieb on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
robschwieb

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:17 am

One of the 944's I built for a client, I used a 2000 Corvette LS1. Installed a Lingenfelter cam. Don't remember all the specs on it, but it's 596 and 602 lift. I used the stock LS1 intake. I had the heads reworked with a comp valve job and very slight bowl work. Used the Kooks longtubes with a single 3" exhaust system and Spintech muffler. The car made 400 hp and 378 tq at the wheels.
I think without the headwork, it would not have made 400hp. Probably closer to 370-380.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:10 am

robschwieb wrote:Finished up the fuel system last night. Only connection that still needs to be made is from the fuel rail to hard line but obviously that will have to wait until the engine is in.

your pics arent showing up. one thing i learned with google images is make sure you put your pictures into your album and dont hotlink pics from your main upload folder. only you can access the main folder, pics have to be in a shared album for hot linking

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  robschwieb on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:17 am

sharkey wrote:
your pics arent showing up. one thing i learned with google images is make sure you put your pictures into your album and dont hotlink pics from your main upload folder. only you can access the main folder, pics have to be in a shared album for hot linking
Thanks for the heads up. I did put them in an album but when I linked them to the forum this morning I was using my personal gallery so that makes sense. Can you see them in the above post now?
robschwieb

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:26 am

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:One of the 944's I built for a client, I used a 2000 Corvette LS1. Installed a Lingenfelter cam. Don't remember all the specs on it, but it's 596 and 602 lift. I used the stock LS1 intake. I had the heads reworked with a comp valve job and very slight bowl work. Used the Kooks longtubes with a single 3" exhaust system and Spintech muffler. The car made 400 hp and 378 tq at the wheels.
I think without the headwork, it would not have made 400hp. Probably closer to 370-380.

my shop did some work on an 03 vette ls1 last year. a set of fresh 243 heads with comp springs, a comp xer281hr cam (232/234, .595/.598) a set of headers, cold air intake. car made 305 whp when it came in, and made 389 after the work. an ls6 or a Fast lsx intake manifold might have been enough to push it to 400hp.

i do have a hard time believing our 944 drivetrain soaks up more horsepower than a corvette t56 does. there is a lot more rotational mass in the t56, and the corvette diff is much larger and would take more power to spin than our little 7" ring gear. i would think header design due to the limited space in our chassis is what would cause lower numbers in a 944 than a corvette.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:27 am

robschwieb wrote:
sharkey wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I did put them in an album but when I linked them to the forum this morning I was using my personal gallery so that makes sense. Can you see them in the above post now?

yea they work now.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  robschwieb on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:12 am

Spent a lot of time scrapin' & scrubbin' last night but it's finally ready for the cam followed by all the new gaskets/seals. Hope to get the front cover, oil pan, and rear cover on tonight if all goes well.

robschwieb

Back to top Go down

Post  948 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:59 am

Welcome. Love the color also.
BTW, if that LS came out of an 01' or 02' WS6 it should have the LS6 intake on it.

Back to top Go down

Post  turbobob924 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Good stuff

Sent from Topic'it App
turbobob924

http://www.turbo924.com

Back to top Go down

Post  robschwieb on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:26 pm

948 wrote:Welcome. Love the color also.
BTW, if that LS came out of an 01' or 02' WS6 it should have the LS6 intake on it.
Thanks. To be honest, this is my favorite 944 color and probably a big reason why I bought this one! As for the intake, sadly mine came out of a 99, or so I was told. The intake is definitely an LS1, it has the EGR provisions.

Made some more progress yesterday on what I consider to be the boring/tedious part of the swap. I've never run hard brake lines before so I figured I'd give it a shot. The soft copper/nickle tube made it pretty easy. While it's far from perfect, I'm pleased with how it turned out! I tried to keep everything as tidy as possible while staying close to the master cylinder since I know valve cover and ignition coil clearance is pretty limited.

Also got my new cam, timing kit, LS7 lifters & trays, front cover & seal, as well rear cover & main seal installed this weekend. Hit a snag with the heads and they had to be sent out to a local machine shop over the week. I was expecting to just lap the valves and be done but the exhaust valves were shot and definitely needed new faces cut. Figured I'd have new seats cut as well and the heads cleaned up too. Should get them back sometime late this week if all goes well. Then I can finally get the engine assembled and ready to go in for the pilot bear test fit.

robschwieb

Back to top Go down

Post  Rothaus on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:47 pm

robschwieb wrote:Hey guys, figured I quit dragging my feet and start a proper build thread. The wealth of information, pictures, and other users' swap threads have proved invaluable so far. This project of mine wouldn't be possible without this place so I'd just like to say thanks!

Last summer I bought a 85.5 944 from a doctor up in Michigan with the sole purpose of LS swapping it. The body was pretty clean and the lack of rust made this an ideal candidate. The paint leaves much to be desired but I can always worry about that once this thing is up and running. After getting the car home I discovered it had the M030 sway bars which was a nice surprise.

I drove it over the summer months while acquiring swap parts and a used LS1. Good thing I was planning to refresh/upgrade the suspension because the stock stuff was toast. My first goal was to gather and install all of the 944/951 parts needed to support the new power. Below is a list of what all I upgraded/replaced.

-250lb front springs
-28mm rear torsion bars
-Koni sports front and rear
-Turbo 9U trans (LSD, no cooler, 5th gear swap)
-Drilled & slotted rotors front rear
-Performance pads
-Euromeister 17x9 & 17x10 wheels
-Sumitomo HTR Z III's 225x45R front & 255x40R rear
-New ball joints & tie rod ends
-Re-manufactured steering rack
-Custom aluminium 951 radiator

In August I came across a LS1 out of a WS6 Firebird with 80k miles. It included the ECU, harness, and all front end accessories except for the AC compressor. He wanted $1,200 for it all, a no-brainer in my book!

The engine is finally stripped down and everything looked really good. Cylinder walls were all flawless and no metal on the magnetic drain plug. I'm currently waiting on my cam kit from Texas Speed Performance before I can finishing building the engine. I want to be at 400whp and 400wtq and here is how I plan to accomplish it:

-LS6 intake manifold
-42lb injectors
-243 heads
-TSP 224R cam (.600/.600 with 114 LSA)
-PAC 1219 springs
-COMP Cams trunnion retrofit
-LS7 lifters & trays
-Solid tune
-New oil pump
-New water pump
-New timing chain set
-New seals and gaskets all around

Now, on to some specifics of my particular build. I'll be using the Ford hydroboost in conjunction with the stock MC and power steering. Also throwing a small radiator in this circuit too keep it cool. I plan to keep the AC functional but that's low on my priority list. I'm going to keep the 944 system and just adapt the GM compressor like others have done. Stock fans will be controlled by GM PCM via the easy "2-wire method".

I bought almost all of my swap parts from forum user "rfreundt". He was a great guy to deal with and I couldn't beat the price, not to mention a lot of the little details had already been sorted by him.

So, this is where I'm currently at; suspension upgrades done, turbo trans installed, motor is pulled, LS is waiting to be wrapped up, and hydroboost along with new clutch MC are installed with linkages hooked up. I still have to plumb the stock brake MC hard lines but my tube and fittings won't be here till next week. I'm just glad to be done under that cramped dash. That was a nightmare...

I have a long ways to go but I'm excited to finally be making real progress! I'll try to keep updating this thread as I go along and adding pictures to my album.

MY SWAP ALBUM HERE

Are you sure you got Euromeister 17x9 & 17x10 wheels ?

Rothaus

Back to top Go down

Post  robschwieb on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Rothaus wrote:Are you sure you got Euromeister 17x9 & 17x10 wheels ?

Oops, that was a brain fart. They are 17x8 & 17x9. My bad.
robschwieb

Back to top Go down

Post  Rothaus on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:42 pm

robschwieb wrote:
Rothaus wrote:Are you sure you got Euromeister 17x9 & 17x10 wheels ?

Oops, that was a brain fart. They are 17x8 & 17x9. My bad.

OK, my next question would have being where did you get the 10 X 17 ?

LOL.

Thanks
Engelbert

Rothaus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum