944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  EmptyToday at 12:47 am by sharkey

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...

4 posters

Go down

Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  Empty Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...

Post  mtn_rider Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:25 pm

Greetings,
I welcome all your opinions.
I'm getting ready to build up our 944 to GM LS goodness. My goal is to have a super reliable weekender and spare car for when the other two have issues. With that in mind I'm leaning toward a brand new crate engine. The trouble is they all seem to be over 400hp and about as much torque unless going with an iron truck engine. I don't want to over do it and kill the drive line. I really want to retain the handling prowess of the chassis as much as possible. What are peoples experience with running an iron V8? How much extra weight (I've seen claims of 45 up to 100lb difference)? I'd love some personal experience on this one. Is a 400 ft/lb LS1 gonna be ok on a turbo trans? How about the newer LS3? What kind of handling differences with the iron block ie does it plow or oversteer more.

Happy motoring and many thanks in advance,

Jordan

mtn_rider

Back to top Go down

Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...  Empty Re: Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...

Post  sharkey Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 am

i cant speak from 944 experience (my hybrid isnt a v8) however i do have ls engine experience. the iron block is around 80lb heavier than an aluminum block. an aluminum block ls engine is a little heavier than the stock 4 banger but the car stays nicely balanced. adding another 80lb on top of that, your weight balance is going to start moving further forward. if you really want to keep the handling ability of the car, an aluminum block engine is the best way to go. that being said, some suspension work and a wider front tire can help overcome the extra front end weight.

400hp and torque isnt going to kill a turbo transaxle if you treat it right. there are guys road racing hybrid cars with more power and not breaking transaxles. biggest key is dont be launching the car and doing burnouts, those are the biggest killers of transaxles. now if your still concerned about the power levels check out turnkeyenginesupply.com, they have aluminum block crate engines starting at a 350hp 5.3l and going up from there.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

mtn_rider wrote:Greetings,
I welcome all your opinions.
I'm getting ready to build up our 944 to GM LS goodness.  My goal is to have a super reliable weekender and spare car for when the other two have issues.  With that in mind I'm leaning toward a brand new crate engine.  The trouble is they all seem to be over 400hp and about as much torque unless going with an iron truck engine.  I don't want to over do it and kill the drive line.  I really want to  retain the handling prowess of the chassis as much as possible.  What are peoples experience with running an iron V8? How much extra weight (I've seen claims of 45 up to 100lb difference)?   I'd love some personal experience on this one.  Is a 400 ft/lb LS1 gonna be ok on a turbo trans?  How about the newer LS3?  What kind of handling differences with the iron block ie does it plow or oversteer more.

Happy motoring and many thanks in advance,

Jordan

I LS swap 944's all the time. I can say for sure, having done both iron block and aluminum block swaps, that the iron block kills the handling of the car. It is only about 80 lbs heavier, but it's on top of the front suspension. It makes the car steer heavy and will push or plow in turns. If you are only using the car on the street and not tracking it, then it won't be a huge worry. But, if you ever track the car, you will see how poorly the car drives.Like Sharkey said, 400hp won't hurt the trans. But, that doesn't mean you can side step the clutch pedal. The trans won't handle that.
As far as the weight of a complete aluminum LS vs the turbo engine, the LS is about 5 lbs heavier. LS is about 25 lbs heavier than a NA 944 engine.
The LS3 engine makes 430-480 hp depending on which version you get. The 430 hp engine is still fairly safe to use with the turbo trans. The 480 hp version really needs the stronger turbo S trans.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  jHo Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:42 pm

I definitely agree with the guys above. I "finished" (is it really ever finished) my swap last year, and I chose the LS3 crate route (so alum. block). I corner weighted my N/A with turbo trans and bigger wheels before and after swap. Went from 2911 52.3% rear to 3044 49.9% rear (both with completely full tank of gas). I love having the numbers as people can't believe that I got closer to 50/50 after the swap. And adding 140 lbs to get triple the horsepower ain't a bad deal.

As for the engine choice, my goal was a reliable street car with very occasional track use that has more horsepower than Camry's and Accords. Seriously, even minivans are getting like 300hp now, so I personally set the bogey for over 400. And since I was paying someone to do most of the work, my budget was $20k-25k. When considering that type of budget, going from a used low mileage LS1 to a crate LS3 was only 10-15% upcharge. I understand that some people will prefer to save money wherever they can, but part of the way I sold my wife on doing the swap is going from a 30year old engine to a brand new one.

Now a year later, I can't say that my car is as reliable as a new car. There's been a few items that have needed "sorting" along the way. But its way more reliable than it was prior to swap, and I still love it. It's special. It's different. And it's a hot rod that still handles like a little Porsche.

Good luck!
jHo
jHo

Back to top Go down