HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Today at 9:28 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» Standalone Fuel Pump Relay. What to do with DME?
Yesterday at 1:14 pm by sharkey

» Rebuilt engine threw three rods
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:08 pm by Rich L.

» What Intake Elbow to Use ?
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 pm by Rich L.

» Anyone done an LS4?
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm by sharkey

» Selling my 1986 Porsche 951 LS1 :(
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am by Luke714

» Where are all the action shots
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 pm by Red944ls1

» majormojo's LY6 swap
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:09 pm by chrenan

» MSD Distributor Hookup
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 pm by mred2nice

» V8 Conversion Parts
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 am by jshprd

November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Rebuilt engine threw three rods

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rebuilt engine threw three rods

Post  jpkinerk on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Well, after all the tweaks and wrench time, I had three awesome track weekends at Mid-Ohio and Putnam. Unfortunately on the third, the below happened. I had the block professionally machines along with crank, rods, pistons, cam installed and then built it up from the short block myself. No smoke, ran real strong (385 rwhp) and ran cool too. Both the oil and coolant temps were normal during my track sessions. I also was running a new oil cooler as well.

Anyway, I had some friends who think it vapor locked, but I can't think of any other reason it would throw three rods. Anyone had something like this happen before?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebuilt engine threw three rods

Post  sharkey on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:28 pm

ouch, thats a bad day of racing right there.

you should be able to look at the pieces and get an idea what may have happened. how do the rod bearings look, are they hot, any material transfer, etc? what about the rod bolts, did it break the heads, stretch the bolts or pull the threads out of the rod? also have a look at the pistons, any signs of detonation? also, how was the oil pressure? does it dip at all in the corners? do you run an accusump? i know some ls heads are known for holding oil in the top end and in road race situations can cause oil starvation.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebuilt engine threw three rods

Post  Rich L. on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Oh Man that sucks! Sorry Dude. Agreed on doing some postmortem on the internals. Maybe send some of the oil, if you can recover enough, off for analysis by Blackstone.

A friend let me participate in rebuilding an Audi engine years back. I was surprised by the amount of fussy little steps in getting all the clearances and tensions correct. Mine ended up skook'em but another buddy's engine done by the same guy with the same recipe never ran quite right.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top