944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
Franken 44 for sale EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Franken 44 for sale EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Franken 44 for sale EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Franken 44 for sale EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Franken 44 for sale EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Franken 44 for sale EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Franken 44 for sale EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Franken 44 for sale EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Franken 44 for sale EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Franken 44 for sale EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Franken 44 for sale

+2
spoon4364
Sterling Doc
6 posters

Go down

Franken 44 for sale Empty Franken 44 for sale

Post  Sterling Doc Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-$29K OBO
-Built for cost effective, serious speed!
-Can race NASA ST1, or ST2
-Makes over 500 (crank) HP on pump gas, and 400+ lb/ft. torque everywhere, reliably.
- Only 2 weekends on new LS3 crate motor (not a junkyard takeout) with built LS1 heads for maximizing compression & torque.
-50/50 weight balance, easy on tires.
-6 piston Titanium piston Wilwood brakes - no fade, and pads last more than one season.
-$89 brake rotors
-Wilwood dual master cylinder pedals (manual brakes) with adjustable bias
-Triple adjustable JRZ shocks rebuilt by Tim Olsen, coil over conversion, tubular front a-arms.
-Aluminum flywheel and clutch (Spec stage 2+), revs fast and shifts fast!
-Hanksville Hotrods roll cage with extra door bars, and tied into shock towers.
-2nd at ST2 at NASA Nationals, has lead the NASA Great Lakes Thunder races overall.
-Ready to race, and will be racing in a couple of weeks at NASA's NCM race.

[url][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sterling Doc

Back to top Go down

Franken 44 for sale Empty Re: Franken 44 for sale

Post  spoon4364 Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi, im a tech at GM, and I'm interested as to why you put LS1 heads on your 6.2L. You say it's for better compression? It wouldn't change the compression. And you also lowered the CFM dramatically going from a square port, to the cathedral style. Not to mention that motor is 430 stock, and GM hot crate motor is 480. So you have to have at least a cam or some other goodies on it to make that 500+. I'm building an LS3 for mine as well.

spoon4364

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:32 pm

its not real clear on what "built heads" are. however the ls1 heads have a slightly smaller combustion chamber (ls1- 66cc, ls3 68-70cc), however they could be milled for reduced chamber volume. the cathedral ports have less port volume and typically will produce more low-mid range power than a rectangle port.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sterling Doc Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:16 pm

sharkey wrote:its not real clear on what "built heads" are. however the ls1 heads have a slightly smaller combustion chamber (ls1- 66cc, ls3 68-70cc), however they could be milled for reduced chamber volume. the cathedral ports have less port volume and typically will produce more low-mid range power than a rectangle port.

The class that I race with has HP limits, but no torque limits. So my goal was not max HP, but area under the curve, and reliability. Moving the HP curve down means less revs/ more reliability.  I already had the low hour LS1 heads & LS6 intake with a rocker upgrade, good valve springs, and a small road racing cam meant for those heads. I had seen some online articles were the the LS6 heads/intake made significant amounts of midrange torque over the LS3 heads, which is what I was after. The smaller combustion chambers do increase compression a bit. The combination has met the goals I was after very well. It makes over 400 rear wheel torques from 3,700 to 5,500 RPM, and HP though 6,500. I'm sure the square port heads would make more peak power, but that's not what I was after. Lastly, the LS3's have a bit worse reputation for oil pooling in the heads in road racing situations. With restricted pushrods, I knew the LS1 heads had worked well in my application.  The dyno is pretty beautiful for my goals:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

440 rear wheel HP + 15% drivetrain loss = 506 crank HP. Interestingly, the canned GM tune for the 480 HP crate motor worked really well. Tuning gave me around 20 more midrange torques, but very little HP.

Sterling Doc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sterling Doc Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:54 pm

The torque curves compares pretty favorably to GM's dyno on the 480HP LS3 (this is in crank HP, but the curves and the relative differences should compare:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sterling Doc

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:11 am

spoon4364 wrote:Hi, im a tech at GM, and I'm interested as to why you put LS1 heads on your 6.2L. You say it's for better compression? It wouldn't change the compression. And you also lowered the CFM dramatically going from a square port, to the cathedral style. Not to mention that motor is 430 stock, and GM hot crate motor is 480. So you have to have at least a cam or some other goodies on it to make that 500+. I'm building an LS3 for mine as well.

I've got an LS3 with cathedral port heads and I'm into 500 at the wheels at over 11:1 compression. 243 heads are the better head for great torque AND horsepower for our applications. The square port heads stock on LS3's are absolutely known to go bye bye under long sweeping left turns. As a GM tech I'm surprised you don't know this. Also Doc don't forget to mention accusump as that's a very good and expensive mod that is a great selling point!!!

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin924kevin Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:48 pm

GM 6.2 Liter V8 Small Block LS3 Engine
The LS3 V8 engine is produced by General Motors for use in high-performance vehicles such as the Camaro and Corvette, among others. It is part of GM’s Gen IV engine family.

Overview
Specifications
Vehicle Applications
Pictures
Successor
The 6.2L LS3 is a direct descendant of the original Small Block, sharing key characteristics with that legendary engine. As with other members of the Small Block engine family, one of the enablers of the LS3’s balance of performance and efficiency is great airflow throughout. Intake flow was improved over previous engines by straightening out and optimizing the flow path from the intake manifold into the cylinder heads, while the exhaust ports are also designed for greater flow. The engine’s efficiency provides an optimum reduction in emissions.
Engine highlights include:

Cylinder Block and Rotating Assembly: the engine block was developed with math-based tools and data acquired via GM’s racing programs, and provides a light, rigid foundation for an impressively smooth engine. Its deep-skirt design helps maximize strength and minimize vibration. The bulkheads accommodate six-bolt, cross-bolted main-bearing caps that limit crank flex and stiffen the engine’s structure. A structural oil pan further stiffens the powertrain. Within the LS3 block is a durable rotating assembly that includes a steel crankshaft and connecting rods, as well as high-strength, aluminum-alloy pistons. The flat-top pistons are also lightweight, a characteristic that enhances high-rpm performance by enabling the engine to rev quicker.
High-Flow Cylinder Heads and Valvetrain: the LS3’s cylinder heads feature rectangular intake ports that support exceptional airflow. They support great airflow at higher rpm for a broader horsepower band, along with strong, low-rpm torque. The intake ports that feed the combustion chambers, as well as the D-shaped exhaust ports, are designed for excellent high-rpm airflow.
High-Flow Intake Manifold with Acoustic Shell: the LS3’s intake manifold ports are designed to match the cylinder head. The composite manifold is manufactured with a lost core process to improve runner-to-runner variation and to reduce flow losses. Acoustic foam is placed between the exterior top of the intake manifold and an additional “skull cap” acoustic shell to reduce radiated engine noise.
Dry Sump-Style Oiling System with Manual Transmission: Corvette models equipped with a manual transmission feature a dry sump oiling system which promotes exceptional performance of the lubrication system during extended high-rpm use under high cornering loads.
Advanced Electronic Throttle Control (ETC): the inclusion of ETC results in the elimination of a mechanical link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body. A sensor at the pedal measures pedal angle and sends a signal to the engine control module (ECM), which in turn directs an electric motor to open the throttle at the appropriate rate and angle. The ETC system can deliver outstanding throttle response and greater reliability than a mechanical connection.
58X Ignition System: the LS3 has an advanced 58X crankshaft position encoder to ensure that ignition timing is accurate throughout its operating range. The new 58X crankshaft ring and sensor provide more immediate, accurate information on the crankshaft’s position during rotation. This allows the engine control module to adjust ignition timing with greater precision, which optimizes performance and economy. Engine starting is also more consistent in all operating conditions.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sterling Doc Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:24 pm

zeusrotty wrote:
I've got an LS3 with cathedral port heads and I'm into 500 at the wheels at over 11:1 compression. 243 heads are the better head for great torque AND horsepower for our applications. The square port heads stock on LS3's are absolutely known to go bye bye under long sweeping left turns. As a GM tech I'm surprised you don't know this. Also Doc don't forget to mention accusump as that's a very good and expensive mod that is a great selling point!!!

Yes, and it's the largest Accusump they make. No oiling issues here, even with the sustained turns at Road America.

The great thing about the flat torque curve, is that I can shift wherever it convenient, and avoid upsetting the car mid turn. It will safely spin to 7K, and make good power, but it will also pull hard from the mid 3K range if it's better to short shift.

Sterling Doc

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:59 pm

LOL, same argument from when Chevy went from the old BAD rectangle ports to the new better cathedral ports. There isn't an ideal shape, just a different trade off.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down