HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Tilton Dual MC Setup
Today at 12:29 am by sharkey

» Plug-in 500 HP crate motor
Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 am by Sterling Doc

» has anyone tried to use the toyota soarer 1jz or 1uz
Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:19 pm by perceptionproblem

» weird vibration
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:46 am by matty89

» Clutch Master Upgrade
Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:18 pm by dsrracer

» My 87 924S Widebody LS#
Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:56 am by johntorg

» Widebody- Widerstandsfahig
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 pm by scryfst

» Widerstandsfahig 003
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:39 pm by scryfst

» Vacuum and Crankcase Ports
Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:08 am by acorad

» 944 to VW door handles??
Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:21 pm by Nasty944

April 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Fitting Hydroboost Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fitting Hydroboost Questions

Post  chrenan on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:26 am

Hi guys,

Did some searching but wasn't able to find anything on sequence of assembly for the hydroboost components. I've got everything in hand from Kent, hyrdroboost unit, 951 brake master adapter and firewall plate. Right now my engine bay is empty - build thread:

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t3068-1987-944-turbo-ls

Lots of questions on exactly how you guys go about this process:

- Do you fit the firewall plate, then engine, then hyrdoboost unit to plate?

- If you fit the firewall plate and hydroboost unit before engine, is it possible to install the engine from below with them in place?

- Is there any reason why the bolts couldn't be welded to the firewall plate to act as studs? It would seem to make assembly from the inside the car easier?

- If the engine is installed, can you then install the firewall plate and hydroboost? Is there room to do this with the engine installed?

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Re: Fitting Hydroboost Questions

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:52 am

chrenan wrote:Hi guys,

Did some searching but wasn't able to find anything on sequence of assembly for the hydroboost components.  I've got everything in hand from Kent, hyrdroboost unit, 951 brake master adapter and firewall plate.  Right now my engine bay is empty - build thread:

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t3068-1987-944-turbo-ls

Lots of questions on exactly how you guys go about this process:

- Do you fit the firewall plate, then engine, then hyrdoboost unit to plate?  

- If you fit the firewall plate and hydroboost unit before engine, is it possible to install the engine from below with them in place?  

- Is there any reason why the bolts couldn't be welded to the firewall plate to act as studs?  It would seem to make assembly from the inside the car easier?

- If the engine is installed, can you then install the firewall plate and hydroboost?  Is there room to do this with the engine installed?

You'll need to install the hydroboost on to the plate and then bolt it to the firewall. You can install the engine from below with this setup.

Not sure why your bolts aren't welded. All the plates from TPC have the bolts welded in for a while now.

It's almost impossible to install the hydroboost and plate assembly with the engine installed.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:03 am

I install the hydroboost after the engine. I don't have a plate from TPC though. I used the stock Mustang mounting plate and welded studs to it, and cut off the corner closest to the valve cover. I have one stud on the firewall facing outward that I used to rest the hydroboost unit on, then I can go from under the dash and put 3 nuts on the other three studs. All in all, it's a fairly easy process this way. The valve cover does need to be removed to do this. And I always inevitably spill some brake fluid on the header wrap when connecting up the brake lines...

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Post  chrenan on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:18 am

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:You'll need to install the hydroboost on to the plate and then bolt it to the firewall. You can install the engine from below with this setup.

Looks like this is my path forward!

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:Not sure why your bolts aren't welded. All the plates from TPC have the bolts welded in for a while now.

I'll have to check that again, but I'm almost positive there were bolt holes on the plate, not studs. I can have a friend weld them on for me.

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Post  chrenan on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:55 am

Definitely no studs, just holes, with bolts provided.  I'll have some bolts welded in place to make studs, I can't imagine what a pain this will be installing with bolts.  

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:59 am

That must have been of his early plates. No fun by yourself. Weld the bolts in and it will be good.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  fantic on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:26 pm

Don't mean to hijack the thread but this is on my next to do. New guy here so who is Kent? Also is that rod coming out the end broke?

fantic

Back to top Go down

Post  chrenan on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:37 pm

Kent is the owner/operator of Texas Performance Concepts (TPC) which provides swap parts to put LS engines into the 944. The rod coming out of the hydroboost has been modified (shortened and threaded) to fit a clevise (also provided by TPC) that connects to the 944 brake pedal.

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnG on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:09 pm

I just received a kit from Kent recently and am installing it in my 944 LS1 with the original 944 ATE master cylinder. Kent included bolts to attache the plate to the firewall; no studs welded to the plate. This was not a problem.

It is not possible to install the plate with the hydroboost and attached master cylinder bolted to it on the firewall with the engine in place; there is insufficient clearance around the engine. It is also not possible to fasten the hydroboost solidly to the plate after it is bolted to the firewall; there is insufficient access to the large nut on the under-dash side of the firewall. Everything must be done in sequence to make it work.

Before installing the hydroboost, be sure to prepare it by cutting and threading the input shaft to work with the clevis that you plan to use to attach to the brake pedal arm. I used the original clevis, which was threaded M10x1.5. The clevises that Ken provides are threaded 3/8x24 I think; you should verify if you plan to use one of them.

Here is the procedure that I used:
  1. Removed the master cylinder and it's mounting plate from the firewall.

[list=2][*]Positioned the new TPC plate on the firewall, held in place by the loose bolts; no nuts holding it on.[/list]
[list=3][*]Mount the hydroboost through the plate, propping it in position with whatever works for you. You may find at this point the you need to remove or move some pieces in the engine compartment to make room. I had to move the rearmost ignition coil.[/list]
[list=4][*]From under the dash, tighten the large nut on the hydroboost with your fingers as well as you can to secure it to the plate.[/list]
[list=5][*]Back in the engine compartment, pull the plate with hydroboost back from the firewall enough to get a large pair of channel lock pliers on the large nut. This will probably be about an inch. The mounting bolts for the plate will still be in place, but very loose.[/list]
[list=6][*]Use the channel locks to tighten the large nut and securely fasten the hydroboost to the plate.[/list]
[list=7][*]Now push the plate with hydroboost back in place tight against the firewall, with the bolts all the way in. Use rags jammed in behind the bolts to hold them in place when you install washers and nuts on them from under the dash inside the car. I found that a ratchet with long extension and u-joint worked fine to tighten the nuts.[/list]

I am currently working on hydraulic plumbing, and my next challenge is getting the original banjo connectors of of the power steering rack without breaking anything. If anyone has a surefire method, I would appreciate hearing about it.

JohnG

Back to top Go down

Post  chrenan on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks for the advice John. So the process you outlined is for when the engine is already installed? I have an empty engine bay at the moment, so does it make more sense to mount the hydroboost then install the engine up through the bottom?

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnG on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Since I haven't done that I can't really give you a good answer. It would certainly be easier to install the hydroboost without the engine already in place, and I guess the worst case would be that if it turned out to be in the way of installing the engine, you would just have to remove it and reinstall after the engine was in. It is pretty tight between the engine and hydroboost, so you would have to be careful when installing the engine.

Maybe someone who has done it that way can chime in here.

JohnG

Back to top Go down

Post  chrenan on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:56 pm

JohnG wrote:Maybe someone who has done it that way can chime in here.

That's what Hotrodz of Dallas suggested above, hydroboost then engine from below. I'll certainly have to be careful.

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Even with the valve cover removed you cannot install the hydroboost with the engine in? Mine goes in very easily. I do remove the valve cover to do it. It's a slight pain to reinstall the bolts on the valve cover when I do that. Otherwise, not that difficult. Maybe because I have the crossmember spaced down by 1/2" it is so much easier? I wasn't able to remove the spacers, my LS3 intake barely clears the hood as it is unfortunately. I think the LS6 intakes are slightly shorter.

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:59 am

I have built several 944 LS swaps. I always install the hydroboost first. I then bolt the engine to the cross member and then install from the bottom. I have a table I built on wheels to set the engine and cross member on. Roll it under the car on my lift and then lower the car down to the engine. Works great.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  chrenan on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 am

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:I have built several 944 LS swaps. I always install the hydroboost first. I then bolt the engine to the cross member and then install from the bottom. I have a table I built on wheels to set the engine and cross member on. Roll it under the car on my lift and then lower the car down to the engine. Works great.

This is what I'll attempt.

Follow-up question, where is the steering shaft in your sequence of assembly? Does it go:

- Hydroboost & clutch master then
- Engine from below then
- Headers then
- Steering shaft?

I know I have to thread the steering shaft through the headers (TPC long tube in my case), but when exactly does this happen? Is it possible to reach the upper steering shaft bolt from below to tighten it once the engine and hydroboost are installed?

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 am

chrenan wrote:
Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:I have built several 944 LS swaps. I always install the hydroboost first. I then bolt the engine to the cross member and then install from the bottom. I have a table I built on wheels to set the engine and cross member on. Roll it under the car on my lift and then lower the car down to the engine. Works great.

This is what I'll attempt.

Follow-up question, where is the steering shaft in your sequence of assembly?  Does it go:

- Hydroboost & clutch master then
- Engine from below then
- Headers then
- Steering shaft?

I know I have to thread the steering shaft through the headers (TPC long tube in my case), but when exactly does this happen?  Is it possible to reach the upper steering shaft bolt from below to tighten it once the engine and hydroboost are installed?

You have the order correct. Your headers can be bolted to the engine before it is installed in the car. Basically, I install the crossmember and motor mounts to the engine. Then I install the headers. Also I put the clutch and bellhousing on the engine. All of this goes into the car at one time. Then I install the steering shaft into the car and then install the steering rack. The shaft bolts can be reached from the top, under the HB before installing the master cylinder.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  chrenan on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 am

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:The shaft bolts can be reached from the top, under the HB before installing the master cylinder.

Got it, thanks! For some reason I couldn't picture installing the clutch master with the hydroboost in place, but that makes sense now.

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:33 am

chrenan wrote:
Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:The shaft bolts can be reached from the top, under the HB before installing the master cylinder.

Got it, thanks!  For some reason I couldn't picture installing the clutch master with the hydroboost in place, but that makes sense now.

Actually I was meaning the brake master. But, yes you can install the clutch master after the HB is installed.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  chrenan on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:35 am

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:Actually I was meaning the brake master. But, yes you can install the clutch master after the HB is installed.

Oh wow. That makes things even easier, never would have thought there was access that way. Really appreciate all your advice, if you're ever in Edmonton I owe you some beers.

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:38 am

chrenan wrote:
Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:Actually I was meaning the brake master. But, yes you can install the clutch master after the HB is installed.

Oh wow.  That makes things even easier, never would have thought there was access that way.  Really appreciate all your advice, if you're ever in Edmonton I owe you some beers.

It is my pleasure to help.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top