HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Start and not finish?
Today at 8:16 pm by leftlanetruckin

» Introduction and few questions from noob
Today at 1:32 pm by Fubar

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Today at 1:12 pm by chrenan

» AeroCatch pin mounting
Today at 10:16 am by rdanford

» Need Help with Fuel lines
Yesterday at 1:19 pm by sharkey

» Changing Position of Air Filter Intake
Yesterday at 9:35 am by rdanford

» Coils and spark plug wires
Yesterday at 8:53 am by Lemming

» FS: ECU and Race Wiring Harness - $300
Yesterday at 8:48 am by Lemming

» Early Control Arms on a late car
Tue May 23, 2017 11:43 pm by pormgb

» Doug's LT4 swapped 86
Mon May 22, 2017 8:21 am by spence

May 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

I am very confused...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I am very confused...

Post  lpotts77 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:07 pm

Hello all! I cannot even begin how to describe how excited I am to start this project. I have an 85.5 n/a and im planning on putting a L33 5.3 in her. Mostly, mechanically, this swap makes sense to me and I feel confident that I will be able to do it. (Lots of car friends with lifts). One question I have is breaks. Ive been looking around for info about manual vs hydroboost. Also, what are the recommended breaking mods for this swap? First thing that came to my mind was 928s4/gts breaks, however I looked around and apparently you need to switch spindles. Is there a workaround or any other solutions? I know this is an oxy-moron statement, however I am doing a budget swap, so I would like to know the least expensive way to retrofit breaks. I apologize if this has been asked before, however I have not been able to find conclusive answers. Again, I am super excited for this build and I hope to share it with you guys!

lpotts77

Back to top Go down

Re: I am very confused...

Post  sharkey on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:29 pm

go with hydroboost, manual sucks (ive been through several master cylinders trying to figure it out, got it decent but not where i want it).

for brakes themselves, there are numerous swaps out there. on my 85.5 im running the lexus ls430 fronts and rx7 rears.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:07 pm

For what it's worth, unless you have cheap local access to a set of F-body front end accessories and an LS1 or LS6 intake and fuel injectors, (and possibly a manual throttle body and computer to match) buying an LS1 may be less expensive than buying an L33 and then getting all the little bits needed to make it work.

I am part way through an L33 build right now, and at this point feel like starting with an LS1 drop-out would have made more sense.  After a cts-v front end accessory kit, new intake manifold and injectors, new harmonic balancer, new water pump, gasket kits, etc., I probably have close to $1,500 into new parts needed to make the L33 fit like a stock LS1/LS6.  Used parts would have dropped that cost some, but then how soon would I be back under the hood fixing things?

There is also the power difference to consider.  The 5.7 will put out better power than the 5.3 and money spent on upgrades will likely return less total power power for the same money.

Where I am located an LS1/LS6 drop-out typically costs an easy $2,500 or more over an L33 drop-out, but this part of the country tends to have a crazy number of hot rod builders.  Our local state fairgrounds ends up with over 12,000 of them for its annual MSRA weekend.  I've seen people on craigslist asking $2,500 locally for just an LS1 short block.  Even an L33s here can be pricey, but luckily I've been able to source much more reasonably within a few hours drive.

My build is still in the "lots of parts" phase.  For me the next step is pulling the heads on my L33 and sending them off to be ported.
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  jHo on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:49 pm

Another option on Brakes is using Wilwood front calipers with adaptor brackets. There are a few places online to find them, like rennbay. They go on stock rotors and fit in stock 15in wheels, so that helps make it budget friendly.

Personally I got a good deal on Wilwood 6 piston calipers, so I bought similar brackets, and just had do a little touch up grinding to make the 6 pistons fit the brackets (that are designed for 4 piston Wilwoods).

I did the caliper swap myself prior to the V8 swap, so I new I worked well. Now I'm just wrapping up the V8 swap and going the hydroboost route. Haven't got it all running yet to tell the difference, but from most opinions on this site, it seems like the best choice for good brakes.
jHo

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:02 pm

Sorry for the way off topic above...
erioshi

Back to top Go down

brake options

Post  turbobob924 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:11 am

I also vote for the hydroboost.

I have the power steering pump already in the accessory drive pulley makes it pretty easy.
turbobob924

http://www.turbo924.com

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:43 am

I've used a Wilwood tandem mc and I hated it. I switched to hydroboost and it's 100% better.

Im using ls430 front calipers and rx7 front cailpers on the rear. I think the bore of the mustang mc is
1 1/16". It matches this setup perfectly. I dont have power steering, so the pump I have only powers the hydroboost.
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  racertomtom on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:04 am

First! Read the entire “Brake Mods” section and make an informed decision knowing what you are facing. Consider that a disclaimer.  Cool

I’ve never seen 928GTS used with the word budget before. Manual brakes can be effective but you really need a dual master/balance bar setup and I’d increase to ¼”-AN4 line throughout and not try to adapt to the Porsche system.
spence wrote:
Im using ls430 front calipers and rx7 front cailpers on the rear. I think the bore of the mustang mc is 1 1/16". It matches this setup perfectly.
Spence’s set up is likely the best bang for the buck for most people with N/As. You can probably get the adapters from member xschop and the rest of your parts at the salvage yard and use them "as is", rebuild them or turn them in as cores on reman, whatever your skill set demands. Also plenty of advise should you need it.

racertomtom

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasonscottw on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:08 pm

hydroboost!

Powerbrakeservice.net has all the hoses/conversion parts.
They were super helpful in sorting my set up out-
Jasonscottw

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top