HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» For sale $150 Griffin for LS1 LS Radiator swap
Today at 9:34 pm by matt889

» Rebuilt engine threw three rods
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:45 pm by jpkinerk

» 1984 Gen IV 5.3 Swap
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am by superman22x

» Aluminum 5.3 swap
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 pm by turbobob924

» Power and Torque figures
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:27 am by Fubar

» Aftermaket Seat Options
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:04 am by Jchard944

» 83' Porsche 944 LM7 Build
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:47 pm by Jchard944

» 948 Badges - Just in time for Christmas
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:59 pm by Admin

» Atlanta area cars and shops
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:49 am by Bmillar

» New convert under way
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:34 pm by kevin924kevin

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Suspension Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suspension Question

Post  Red944ls1 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 am

Hi all...I am doing the ls430 brake conversion for my 1984(early) conversion.  I have 1987 spindles...the calipers and fabbed the mounting brackets and centering rings.  

The question I have now is...

1.  My 84  spindles are very different than the 87 they don't fit my shock/strut.  Also they have the speedometer cable running through them where the 87 does not. What is the fix? Do I need new shocks/struts?  If so what's the best and least expensive way to upgrade so that it does not squat too much under load.  I know I read on here about refubishing them and using Koni inserts...is there a part number I could buy or a specific how to?  

Secondly...how do I get the speedometer to work now..is this the vss kit that I see folks talking about?  My harness has a speedo wire ...is it possible to get the speedo and guages from say a camaro or Corvette to work in our setup instead of using the older guages.  As mentioned I have an 84 944...and I am not in favor of the yellow guages it came with....they look old.

Any thoughts or assistance would be very much appreciated.

Red....

Red944ls1

Back to top Go down

Re: Suspension Question

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:20 am

Red944ls1 wrote:Hi all...I am doing the ls430 brake conversion for my 1984(early) conversion.  I have 1987 spindles...the calipers and fabbed the mounting brackets and centering rings.  

The question I have now is...

1.  My 84  spindles are very different than the 87 they don't fit my shock/strut.  Also they have the speedometer cable running through them where the 87 does not. What is the fix? Do I need new shocks/struts?  If so what's the best and least expensive way to upgrade so that it does not squat too much under load.  I know I read on here about refubishing them and using Koni inserts...is there a part number I could buy or a specific how to?  

Secondly...how do I get the speedometer to work now..is this the vss kit that I see folks talking about?  My harness has a speedo wire ...is it possible to get the speedo and guages from say a camaro or Corvette to work in our setup instead of using the older guages.  As mentioned I have an 84 944...and I am not in favor of the yellow guages it came with....they look old.

Any thoughts or assistance would be very much appreciated.

Red....

The strut needs to be modified as per this post: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The other option is to get a strut for a late car.

I had no idea that the early cars had speedo cables. The 85.5 and up cars have an electrical sensor that plugs into the trans. The VSS will not fix your speedo. The VSS is there to tell the chevy computer if the vehicle is moving or not. That information is important to some things, but it isn't used for the speedo. Regardless of late or early 944, the speedo is meant to be controlled in the factory way. Don't know if anyone has used a different gauge... but even in chevy's the VSS does not drive the speedo. I know in the vette there is a sensor on top of the differential similar to the late 944 setup. I think retaining the stock setup would be the easiest.

Hopefully someone with an early car can help!

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:40 am

the only way to make a cable drive speedometer work without the cable would be a converter box like this one from dakota digital [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

you would need an electronic signal for it, the reluctor wheel kit and sensor people use for the ecm would provide the signal you need for it to work.

the other option would be to update your gauges, either some aftermarket ones that fit the bezel, or swap to a late model dash.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:31 am

The VSS does drive the speedo in chevy cars; it is used with the known gear ratio, reluctor wheel input and tire revolutions per mile to give the ecu the speed. On our cars it does not drive the speedo it is just used to tell the ecu when the car is moving or stopped.

You'd have to use a convertor like Sharkey said and you have to re-program the ecu to get it to read the actual speed by changing PPM, Speedometer Scalar, Speedometer Scalar Multiplier, Scan Tool Scalar. There's an excel spead sheet online that makes this alot easier. You just enter your gear ratio, tire revolutions per mile and reluctor wheel input and it spits out all the numbers you need to enter into the new program.
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:14 am

Hey I stand corrected! I was gonna say that sounds like an easy fix but holy smokes $300?! Shocked

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  hutchjc1 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:42 pm

could you use something like this to get a signal to the speedo ? We had to use one to allow an electronic speedo to work with a cable driven speedo cable on a vw. Not sure if there is a solution like this that would bet you where you need to be.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

hutchjc1

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:21 pm

You could have a machine shop drill out the late spindle to match the early spindle…though it might weaken it a bit.

Or use a electric speedometer from an ’89  911 which will fit the gauge cluster. The face/glass is flat which means it won’t match the other two, which can be easily remedied.

However you would also need a ‘late’ transmission with the sending unit for an electric speedometer.

I don't see how the other suggestions (adding a sending unit) would work as the cable is driven from the left front wheel and those 'adapters' I think need to be driven from a transmission.

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:21 am

The dakota one would work the other one would not. You'd have to pull the cable into the cab and figure out how to attach it to the convertor. The convertor then gets its signal from the VSS. There's a motor inside these convertor boxes which spins the cable for the speedo.

But if he's using a turbo transmission sounds like the easiest way is to get a speedo gauge from a 911 like you said.
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:11 am

Please ignore (or perhaps Admin can remove) the down-vote on the post above. My 4 yro kiddo was "helping" Daddy on the computer and clicked on the bottom of the green bar...
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Red944ls1 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Thanks all...I think i am going to use one of the GPS speedometers. They sell them in the dimensions of the current speedometer but with a flat face.

I think I will try to find a strut from am 87 the link that modifies them is a lot of work. I took it to my machine guy and it would be cheaper to just get them from a used car and get new inserts.

Also...as I read I see some people are doing the coil over conversion with their stock struts...has anyone here ever done that. I see kits for conversions all over eBay.

Red944ls1

Back to top Go down

Post  Red944ls1 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:20 pm

So another question...with my ls430 brake conversion....would I need to change my control arms as well. I have a 1984. I have now the 1987+ struts...87+ spindles....will the control arms work for my set up...are they interchangeable. I am waiting for my struts to come in or else I would just check and see.

Thanks

Red944ls1

Back to top Go down

Post  Red944ls1 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:34 pm

They are the same and will fit 87 spindles for those of you that may come across this.

Red944ls1

Back to top Go down

Post  scryfst on Tue May 03, 2016 7:40 am

944convert wrote:You could have a machine shop drill out the late spindle to match the early spindle…though it might weaken it a bit.

I have done this before, worked out just fine. Certainly the most economical and painless route.

scryfst

http://www.widerstandsfahig.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Red944ls1 on Wed May 04, 2016 5:39 am

I got a set of late struts that were blown and purchase a set of Koni strut inserts and did the cut a strut technique.  I also replaced the boots/ dust covers and bump stop.  For the dust covers I used rack bellows from another car.  Looks pretty good and the set up was cheap.  For the control arms I drilled out the rivets and replaced them with nuts and bolts as I inserted new ball joints.  Figured I'd add paint to them all.  

Cost me about 400 for the ball joints,blown struts,new konis and tie rods.

Red944ls1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top