HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Tilton Dual MC Setup
Today at 12:29 am by sharkey

» Plug-in 500 HP crate motor
Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 am by Sterling Doc

» has anyone tried to use the toyota soarer 1jz or 1uz
Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:19 pm by perceptionproblem

» weird vibration
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:46 am by matty89

» Clutch Master Upgrade
Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:18 pm by dsrracer

» My 87 924S Widebody LS#
Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:56 am by johntorg

» Widebody- Widerstandsfahig
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 pm by scryfst

» Widerstandsfahig 003
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:39 pm by scryfst

» Vacuum and Crankcase Ports
Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:08 am by acorad

» 944 to VW door handles??
Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:21 pm by Nasty944

April 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Ford Hydroboost fittings issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ford Hydroboost fittings issue

Post  gtrman84 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:38 am

So I'm doing a Ford Hydroboost conversion of my LS1 swap in my 86 951.  I've gone through this in several steps; first getting the hydroboost unit and figuring out the mounting, then picking up the adapter plate to reuse the stock master cylinder, and now I'm getting to the fittings and the plumbing.

I ordered my fittings this week and finally got up to the garage and nothing seems like it fits.  I don't know if I missed something significant, but I must have because nothing is as I expected.  I have a remanufactured hydroboost unit for a 2004 Ford Mustang. I based the fittings I ordered off of this diagram which is got from a thread here.

Pics

Issue 1 - High Pressure In
So I didn't get the exact fitting that was in the diagram, I got an Earl's fitting instead, but still 18mmx1.5mm.  I cannot thread this into the high pressure in port as it is too big.

Issue 2 - High Pressure Out
I did get the fitting in the diagram, just in black.  This did not fit either and was far too small for the port.

At this point, I figured maybe I tried threading the 18mm fitting into the high pressure out port, which did work.  Frankly, that left me more confused then before. I tried the 16mm fitting in the high pressure in port, and it was too small just like it was for the high pressure out.

Issue 3 - Low Pressure Out
The diagram says there should be a barb coming out of the hydroboost.  I have no barb at all, just a small port with no threads what so ever

At this point I have no idea what's going on, but I'm wondering if I got the correct hydroboost unit.  It seems odd to me that a 18mm fitting would work in one port, but having the 16mm be too small and the 18mm be too big for the other port.

I'm wondering if there are standard fittings that I can use to adapt the unit to AN fittings, or if I'm better off ordering a set of hoses for an 04 Mustang, then flaring those for AN fittings.

I was really hoping to get all of the plumbing sorted out so the car would be ready for a new set of tires and getting back on the road next month.  Getting these fittings sorted out seems like the last hurdle, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

gtrman84

Back to top Go down

Re: Ford Hydroboost fittings issue

Post  spence on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:40 am

Did you use this diagram?

spence

Back to top Go down

Post  gtrman84 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:44 am

Yes. I referenced that diagram in the post and that's where I got the part numbers.

gtrman84

Back to top Go down

Aluminum block

Post  hickmaster2001 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:49 am

Do you have the aluminum block that is bolted to the side of the hydroboost unit? You can see it here in this thread:

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t1689p15-hydroboost-mounting-plate

You will need that as it has the fittings/holes

Just a thought

hickmaster2001

Back to top Go down

Post  gtrman84 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:52 am

No it doesn't have the aluminum block. It didn't come with the hydroboost unit, but it was one of the differences that had me wonder whether I had the correct hydroboost unit.

gtrman84

Back to top Go down

Post  hickmaster2001 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:58 am

If you bought a rebuilt unit it doesn't usually include the block. I did the same thing and bought an entire used unit as well from a local salvage yard. Then just swapped the block from the used on to the rebuilt one and had a core hydroboost to return too.

hickmaster2001

Back to top Go down

Post  gtrman84 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:15 am

Any chance those blocks are available for order rather than going to a salvage yard? I don't see many of these Mustangs in salvage lots near me, and when I do they're usually stripped bare.

Also, I'm not sure where that leaves me with the high pressure in port. Neither the 18mm nor the 16mm fitting fit.

gtrman84

Back to top Go down

Block

Post  hickmaster2001 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:26 am

You may try TPC for a block.  I think Kent had some.  Also eBay (you probably already looked there):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-04-Ford-Mustang-Gt-Cobra-Mach-1-4-6-Hydroboost-OEM-2000-2001-2002-2003-/272170187406?hash=item3f5e9b7a8e:g:pNsAAOSwyjBW5ueg&vxp=mtr

When I got the used one I had the original fittings to go by seen below.  The cut off pipes are the original lines from the used setup.

I had issues getting the correct fittings as well and ended up getting a few different ones from Techna fit.  The fitting in the bottom of the picture does not need to be identical and can use the russell 16mm x 1.5 fitting listed in the setup picture posted earlier in this thread.  The fitting in the top needs to be the same as the original and is available from a few sources.  Lastly the barb can be dealt with in many ways as it is low pressure.  I hope this helps....

I only ended up using one fitting from this picture because they both did not fit. I sent this picture to stuart at techna fit and he sent me the correct fitting I needed. The other fitting I got as listed (russel) 16mm x 1.5. Hard to tell why the fitting you have doesn't fit. You may have been shipped a mismarked one.

hickmaster2001

Back to top Go down

Post  hickmaster2001 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:38 am

I found this after I got mine put together:

http://www.sweetperformance.com/product/index.php?_a=product&product_id=489

hickmaster2001

Back to top Go down

Post  gtrman84 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:10 pm

Yea, I need to find a source for that block. I'll call TPC tomorrow and also make a call or two tomorrow to see if I can find one.

I think I'm missing something in regards to the High Pressure In port, as the fittings listed in that sweet performance pack are what i have. I think I may try and find the stock line (if I can for cheap enough) and potentially mod those.

gtrman84

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:42 pm

I did the same and bought a rebuilt hydroboost from RockAuto, it did not come with the aluminum block either. I remember going to a Ford Dealer and the parts guy spent a while looking for one in the part diamgrams, we came to the conclusion it was not available without buying a complete hydroboost. I ended up finding one at a local salvage yard. The guy brought the entire hydroboost unit out for me; i think i paid like $10 for the block itself.

I could have sworn i posted all the fittings i bought previously but i cant find the thread. The two fittings i got were ordered through Summit, Russels brand. I converted everything to AN. Ill look through my invoices tomorrow and see if i can find which ones i had used.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:56 pm

I got a line kit from someone and they are banjo ends. They work very well.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  gtrman84 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:08 pm

So here's an update for anyone who finds this while doing a search. So the remanufactured unit that I had ordered did not have the block on the side of the hydroboost that is needed for the output fittings. I called Kent at TPC and he recommended I find one from a salvage yard, but if I couldn't then he could help me out with sourcing a unit. I did find for $50 and after a mini road trip I had the block that I needed (they didn't take off the master cylinder when they pulled it, score!). Luckily I didn't throw away any of the seals I got with the remanufactured unit, so I swapped the block and its looking good.

As far as the high pressure in port, the reason I was having so much trouble with the port was that the top threads seemed to be worn away by the remanufacturing process. This caused the adapter not to be able to catch any threads and seem like it was the incorrect fitting. I got a 18mm x 1.5mm tap and chased the top of the port. This solved the issue and allowed the adapter to thread into the port. Kent mentioned that its the port is a tight fit from the factory, so hopefully tapping the top threads in the port doesn't cause any leaks. I'm still in the process of plumbing the system, so I haven't had the chance to test it yet.

So I completely didn't realize how key having that block was to the unit and I also didn't realize that the remanufactured units didn't come with those blocks. If I were to do it again, I would've picked up a salvage unit first to get that block. I also would've had the core to send back, so I would've gotten reimbursed almost the cost of the salvage unit. I'm going to give Rock Auto a call and see if I can still return the core, but I think that ship may have sailed.

gtrman84

Back to top Go down

Post  crowstyle on Sat May 28, 2016 9:49 pm

could you please take pics of the pluming sequence for documentation?

crowstyle

Back to top Go down

Post  matt889 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:35 am

on the 944 steering rack which fitting is the pressure the top one ( closest to steering shaft ) or Lower one closest to floor ? i didnt have PS before ...

matt889

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:46 pm

matt889 wrote:on the 944 steering rack which fitting is the pressure the top one ( closest to steering shaft ) or Lower one closest to floor ? i didnt have PS before ...

The return port is the top one, closest to the steering shaft. High pressure is the bottom port.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top