944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? EmptyToday at 9:56 am by ndog52

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work?

2 posters

Go down

Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? Empty Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work?

Post  erioshi Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:21 am

Since this question seems to come up over and over, I'm hoping we can develop an authoritative thread on which front end accessories kits have actually been used successfully in a swap.  I have both a decent L33 and a very nice 928 with a bad engine in the garage, and it's time find some real answers.

Starting point - As of the start of this thread the only complete front end accessory drive (FEAD) kit that I have been able to actually verify is running in existing 4.8 and 5.3 swaps is the the OEM F-body setup.  Some members have collected the parts separately, but OEM F-body FEAD brackets seem to be hard to source, and this presents a problem for truck engine based swaps.

Other swaps are running with various combinations of parts, but I'm not aware of any with a full break-out of the parts they used.  That may simply be my failure to capture all the details in the swap threads.

Potential FEAD kits that I think could work:

First up is the GM CTS-V accessory kit (part number 1915506).  Will it fit for a swap?  Price is just over $800 right now and everything is new.  Could be a decent solution if it works.  Here's a link:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/19155066

And here's a linked pic of the layout and dimensions:

Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? F259eff00003c5fdace3a6ee3562dd86

The problem with the CTS-V kit is that in addition to the kit, you need a couple more parts.  At a minimum, a CTS-V water pump and harmonic balancer.  Adding these parts drive the cost of this solution up well past $1,000.  Since we're talking 4.8 and 5.3 swaps, that seems to go against the budget minded nature of some of these projects.

Second up is an ICT kit (part number 551570-3) that re-uses OEM truck accessories with an LS1 water pump.  Price is currently about $180 for the kit, so it fits well with budget minded 4.8 and 5.3 swaps.  Here's the link:

http://www.ictbillet.com/5-3l-ls-alternator-power-steering-pump-mount-bracket-lsx-ls3-uses-ls1-wp.html

And here's a linked pic of the layout and dimensions:

Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? 569_and_570_dimensions_1

Based in the picture, I'm guessing the total height from the bottom of the crank pulley to the top of the alternator would be about 20 inches or perhaps a bit less, depending on the alternator used.  One question mark is that the alternator would be high and very far forward.  That might be a problem.

Since it re-uses OE truck accessories, it should allow us to keep the OEM AC compressor and drive, and re-use most of what came with the engine.  One limitation is the alternator, the kit cannot re-use the larger 160 amp alternators.  They recommend an alternative make/model combination as a source for a 145 amp alternator that can be had for about $100 online.  Kit plus an LS1 water pump and the recommended serpentine belt looks to be a bit over $300 at today's pricing.

Can anyone authoritatively say if these kits will work?

If I can get a reasonable vote of confidence from one of the local experts, I'll pick up the ICT kit and try it out.  If it doesn't fit my road car it can go in the chump car.  We're going to have to remove or cut the hood on it anyway.

What else is actually installed and running with the original hood closed?
erioshi
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? Empty Re: Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work?

Post  erioshi Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:56 am

It looks like the CTS-V kit has been used successfully.  Not sure how I had missed it; here's the link:

https://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t2301-cts-v-drive-accessories

Linked pic from Rennlist:

Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? 753401d1376771634-968-v8-swap-thread-ctsv-accessory-kit
erioshi
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work? Empty Re: Front end accessory drive (FEAD) kits - Which ones have been proven to work?

Post  erioshi Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:26 am

After giving it a bit of thought, I'm just going with the CTS-V kit. I was able to source the water pump, thermostat with outlet and harmonic balancer through rock auto for about $250 shipped, and found an online source for the GM kit asking $775 before shipping. All-in that still is a bit over $1,000, but it lets me move forward with my project knowing everything will fit neatly under the stock hood.

One thing the CTS-V kit has that I wasn't aware of originally is a fixed displacement AC compressor. This may or may not complicate making AC work with my Truck PCM (computer) and OE Porsche AC components. I will add to this as I learn more.
erioshi
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:14 pm

This is a topic I have been wondering about myself. I jumped on a used full F-body kit on LS1tech for under $400 recently though. If you keep your eyes out, you can find them on there all the time for around $400.
With that said, I think any of the accessory drive kits that fit with an LS based intake should work. The main problem with the truck kit is that it requires using the much taller truck intake.

Hotrod has a good article on the different kits.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/ccrp-0905-ls-accessory-drive-swap-guide/
According to this article, the early CTS-V uses the same kit as the Fbody cars.

Included in that article are the two GMPP kits available. Both around $800.

superman22x

Back to top Go down