HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Early offset phone dial
Today at 10:19 am by adeptpro944

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Today at 9:25 am by chrenan

» Oil Cooler Adapter Not Working?
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 pm by sharkey

» 1987 944S 3800 L67 Turbo...in progress
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm by Sirayden

» C6 Z06 Brakes on my 944
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 am by Schuepbach

» sbc swap in a 1981 924
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 pm by sharkey

» JP's LS1 Conversion
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm by 924sbc406

» Cayenne Front and Rear Brakes on 944
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:15 pm by superman22x

» Scca Xp solo build
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:55 pm by yamamtx

» Steering rack clearance
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 am by remaxagent33

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

1986 LS2 Conversion

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1986 LS2 Conversion

Post  superman22x on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:44 am

Ah, the long tubes might be more difficult. Maybe drop the crossmember with the engine suspended.

I can get the hydroboost in. With the valve cover off only though. With the cover on, it's difficult but possible...

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:30 am

Hoping Jon or Doc or someone who did the long tubes can chime in...

What was your engine installation process? I tried it with everything on and figured out I didn't enough room to move the engine forward to get around the driveshaft so now i have the bellhousing adapter off the engine and connected to the torque tube and the headers on the engine. Is it possible to connect the steering shaft with the driver side header on? Hopefully I can answer my own question by digging through the build logs and the photos

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:02 am

Yes, you can get the engine in with one header bank on. I believe it was the drivers side but my memory is fuzzy about that.

Once in you put the other header bank on...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:24 am

okay thanks doc. I could physically get the engine in, and i did, before i realized "hey, that steering shaft should probably be somewhere other than dangling towards the ground". 

I think it would be very advantageous to take the driver side header off, install the engine, connect the steering shaft, then put the driver header back on.

Thanks  rabbit

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:19 pm

I put the engine in without the headers, stuck them in later. Engine, crossmember, rack, then headers. This was with TPC long-tubes, no way could they be attached to the engine before installation.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:50 pm

I was able to replace the steering shaft with the TPC long tubes installed. That lower bolt for the pinch was a SOB, i was getting like 1/1000th of a turn at a time. I'm not sure how the clearance is with the Kook's headers.

If you havent already done so, mock up the hydroboost with the engine out of the car to get an idea how everything fits. On my car the hydroboost had to be clocked just slightly, leaning towards the left side of the car to clear the valve cover. This puts the master cylinder at a very slight cant, i had no issues with this. The other SOB moment was tightening that giant nut on the back of the hydroboost unit, it was pretty shitty with the angle on the mounting plate Smile..lol.. the nut gets recessed in the plate making it even more fun to tighten.

I was not present for the initial engine install, i chickened out and had that done by a shop. But to my knowledge the engine was installed without the headers. I had given them locking hardware with studs instead of bolts, they were not able to use them because of how tight a fit it was around the frame rails, i remember the drivers side was very tight between the runners and the frame.

Just saw your post about the hydroboost line length, i dont remember how long the lines were. This part wasnt too difficult to do, we made the lines for everything. Just remember to use high pressure fittings; steel fittings and braided high pressure line... aluminum fittings are a no go.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:01 pm

So i tried many methods... this is how i ended up installing the engine.

1] I had all the accesories on the engine and no radiator in the car. The throttle body cannot be on the intake manifold. Both headers on. All the engine mounting hardware was connected to the block. The crossmember was disconnected from the engine and the steering shaft was connected to the rack but not the steering column.
2] Bolt the bellhousing adapter (with throw-out bearing installed) to the torque tube.
3] Lift the engine with the hoist and after some fiddling you should be able to get the bellhousing to mate with the bellhousing adapter. I got it close and had to use the bolts that connect the two to get them to fully seat.
4] At this point the engine should be bolted to the torque tube and the crossmember with the steering shaft should be sitting on the ground/table. I used a car jack to help me lift the crossmember in a controlled manner. This makes it pretty simple to feed the steering shaft through the header primary tubes.
5] Connect to the engine to the crossmember.
6] I found it easier to get the steering shaft on the column while the engine was free (crossmember NOT bolted to car). It took a little force but connect the steering shaft to the end of the column. Hopefully you marked it before removing Laughing
7] The crossmember/engine combo should be really close to final fitment by the time you get the steering shaft on. At this point bolt the crossmember to the car.

In all honesty, this was pretty easy. I tried many other ways that weren't going to work... some of them I should have known to not even try but sometimes you just get going and don't stop to think.

As Jon pointed out header fitment on the driver side is close... like really close....as soon as my e-mail plays nice i'll post a photo

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:58 am

About an inch all around clearance on passenger side. Driver side is practically hitting, but only on one of the primaries. As others have pointed out to me there may be potential for the engine to move laterally slightly. I think I'll try that later. Either way i'm happy its in there!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am

Anyone familiar with this car? I was googling 944 Ls1 air intake and found the picture below. The website it's on is a for sale page for cars in the UK. He used TPC kit so maybe he posted here? 

I've never seen this method before and might look into it if I continue to have troubles getting things to fit over by the driver side headlight

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Ive seen some of the Renegade Hybrid cars using an intake setup almost exactly like that also. Not sure what the parts are off of though.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:10 pm

In the picture above with the steering shaft in it. what are the braided hoses for that are under the headers

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:42 pm

gdopnt wrote:In the picture above with the steering shaft in it. what are the braided hoses for that are under the headers

my guess would be remote oil filter / cooler

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:23 am

gdopnt wrote:In the picture above with the steering shaft in it. what are the braided hoses for that are under the headers

Yes those are oil lines that run to and from a thermostat/cooler. They are not mounted or routed in the final configuration yet. They are just hanging out there until I figure out exactly where they will go.

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:22 am

Did some work this weekend. Figured out the fuel lines. In the threads I was reading no one mentioned that the feed line from the tank is 5/16 and the input to the filter is 3/8! Either way the guy at my local autoparts helped me out a lot. Using a 3/8 to nylon 5/16 hose and then a compression fitting that's designed for 5/16 nylon on one end and 5/16 metal hose on the other! I sanded down the factory line that goes to the output from the filter with emory cloth to get the 3/8 compression fitting over it. Everyone is right, it is a PITA. 

Also figured out my air intake design won't work. I don't know why but i've been playing with it this whole time without the power steering pump. Well you guessed it... the power steering pump is in the way  Rolling Eyes

Ordered some 4" flex pipe to help me figure out the shape of the intake. I'll likely get aluminum tubing after I figure out the shape and weld up the intake.

Looking into how people mount the radiator up top. I know how i'm mounting it on the bottom and it's very simple. I'm having a harder time visualizing a correct method for mounting on top.

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:10 am

I removed the reservoir for my power steering pump, JBwelded in a 1/4NPT bung and ran it over to the stock PS reservoir for the 944. I tee'd in the return from the hydroboost to the return from the powersteering rack and into the other port on the reservoir. By removing the reservoir, I was able to run the intake tubing like you had been planning. I think 4" tubing should fit fine in this configuration.

The Porsche lines are 10mm and 8mm. 8mm is close enough to 5/16 (7.94mm) that it fits easily. 10mm is close to 3/8 (9.52mm), but would require a bit of sanding on the porsche line to fit a 3/8 compression. I ended up buying 10mm swagelok to 1/4 NPT fittings on ebay.

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:34 am

My problem is I'm hitting the pulley. Looking at photos it turns out my homemade power steering mount puts the pump too far up and too close to the center of the engine. I'll make a new one to move it over and down and see where that gets me

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:01 pm

FrostedFlakeJake wrote:Anyone familiar with this car? I was googling 944 Ls1 air intake and found the picture below. The website it's on is a for sale page for cars in the UK. He used TPC kit so maybe he posted here? 

I've never seen this method before and might look into it if I continue to have troubles getting things to fit over by the driver side headlight

I have this car in my shop right now. My client bought it out of Arkansas. I'm replacing the clutch and torque tube. And installing S2 suspension and 944 Turbo S brakes all around.
The intake pipe was handmade by someone out of sheetmetal. I actually had to flatten it some because it was hitting the hood and the headlight crossbar. Also had to cut the hood bracing where the intake pipe was hitting.

Last edited by Hotrodz of Dallas on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:
FrostedFlakeJake wrote:Anyone familiar with this car? I was googling 944 Ls1 air intake and found the picture below. The website it's on is a for sale page for cars in the UK. He used TPC kit so maybe he posted here? 

I have this car in my shop right now. My client bought it out of Arkansas. I'm replacing the clutch and torque tube. And installing S2 suspension and 944 Turbo S brakes all around.
The intake pipe was handmade by someone out of sheetmetal. I actually had to flatten it some because it was hitting the hood and the headlight crossbar. Also had to cut the hood bracing where the intake pipe was hitting.

Hey small world! Thanks for the info. I don't think i'm going to follow the same route but it's good to know it's possible.

Ordered a bunch of annoying things i needed. I somehow had the wrong fitting for the line that runs from the TOB to the clutch MC, i lost my ignition coils and wires, and i needed some fittings for the fuel lines in the rear. 

Progress is slow but I'll get there eventually. I ended up cutting away the rear light balance/support on the driver side to fit my air filter there. Not finalized but it should work now easily Smile

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Its not my preferred route either. It was already this way when the car arrived, so I just made it work.

Good luck on your car build. They can be a pain, but so much fun when done.
My own personal project is probably going to take me a year or so to build. I don't think any part of my 944 will be left untouched in one way or another.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:50 am

How do I connect the factory feed gas line to the rail? The factory feed line has a connector on the end for a 16x1.5 fitting. Can I put a russel 3/8 to -6an connector on the rail, and then a -6an to 16x1.5 adapter and use the factory line that's already there? 

I ask because the factory 16x1.5 female fitting on the line appears to have some type of flaring/bubble in it that might not be compatible with a standard 16x1.5 fitting.

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:36 pm

FrostedFlakeJake wrote:How do I connect the factory feed gas line to the rail? The factory feed line has a connector on the end for a 16x1.5 fitting. Can I put a russel 3/8 to -6an connector on the rail, and then a -6an to 16x1.5 adapter and use the factory line that's already there? 

I ask because the factory 16x1.5 female fitting on the line appears to have some type of flaring/bubble in it that might not be compatible with a standard 16x1.5 fitting.

Are you using the stock gm fuel rail? If so, you can get a quick connect fitting at Oreillys or Autozone that will plug onto the fuel rail. You then remove the factory rubber hose from the 944 fuel line and install a new hose with clamps from the 944 steel line to the quick connect fitting at the fuel rail.

PM me your email and I can send you a pic of what I did.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:41 pm

What you need is something like this. Size to be determined by your fuel rail.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:31 am

So i'm back to working on this after a long time away.

How the heck do i tighten the giant hydroboost nut?! I got the hydroboost in, clevis around the brake pedal, and the hydroboost nut finger tight. I know there is a special socket type tool but I don't understand how that would help since the brake pedal is in the way from getting the socket over the nut. What's the secret?

Question

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  phlip on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:45 am

I just used a hammer and a big punch with a little loc-tite.
But I tightened it before I installed the hydro boost unit.
phlip

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:48 am

I have a socket that fits the nut. I assemble mine on the workbench and then install complete. It does require lowering the engine if its already installed. But, much easier to me.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Back to top