HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Poly based strut mounts on exchange
Yesterday at 10:16 pm by xschop

» 18x10" Enkei wheels
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 pm by Sterling Doc

» Around the block
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 am by Red944ls1

» RX7 Caliper Swap
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 am by osx86ftw

» Cooling solutions please!
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 pm by yamamtx

» Holley intake, vacuum pump and cross member spacer
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 am by zeusrotty

» Sparkydog's Abnormal Build - 944 With L67 + Ford Stuff & CARB Legal
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm by sparkydog

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 am by haroldk

» Coolant / header tank cap
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:56 pm by Arthropraxis

» Cadillac ATS Brembo Front Brake Swap
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:43 pm by superman22x

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Why Sanderson header, why?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why Sanderson header, why?

Post  RobotMachines on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:31 pm

I was trying to decide to post on PHB or here but since 944-LT1 is here; here is where I shall post my ramblings... been awhile since I rambled. Razz

Now it could have been my custom stailess exhaust pulling on the header that made it crack but I kind of doubt it since I used flex pipes on both sides. Could be that RH ground off the Sanderson plate but that may be unfounded.

Either way, I am pulling out the passenger side Sanderson header to re-weld the collector area. I tried to weld it while on the car but that was messy and didn't quite work.

So Michael, I may finally be able to tell you if welding a header works if this holds up until spring.

And by the way everyone, these new emoticons are damn awesome! geek

Edit: Oh, and I'll post pics because pics are always fun.
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Sanderson header, why?

Post  gt1scca on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:59 pm

What's PHB?
Razz

MK had the same problem, I think. There are others here that curse those RH Sandersons...
As far as welding, should be no prob...they're only SS coated.

BTW, feel free to use the emotes in my gallery also, RM.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  944ls on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:23 pm

ROBOT! Glad to see ya! (944ss) I think you will like this board. Lotsa tek no turds cheers

944ls

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:33 pm

PHB = PorscheHybrids.com board I guessed. I posted for so many years there then MK and some others got banned Sad so I'm here. I see Paul is here as well and others ('Ghost Cloak' should be coming here soon). Very Happy

Anyway, here's the ultimate header bolt tool! (just got them all loose -big fear of mine not being able to loosen those bolts- ... hope I don't have to remove the hoses to get the header out.)

Notice the awesome yellow zip ties! Hey, where's Predator?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:37 pm

944ls wrote:ROBOT! Glad to see ya! (944ss) I think you will like this board. Lotsa tek no turds cheers
Glad to see you too! Damn, been awhile. This hobby never dies does it? farao

Well, turds are inevitable (just look at the color of my Car!) monkey
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:45 pm

944ls wrote:no turds
Razz [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yeah, I was one of the first "axe-jobs"...
How dumb was that?...Now the same things they booted me for are being published and copyrighted.
Want a copy?

The "original" RC is here also...Predator? He posted a few times on Hybrid9s...haven't seen him here.

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:37 pm

JAMES!!!!!

Now it feels complete again. Very Happy

I never got banned from PHB, I just left. Funny, I havent visited that site in a couple-3 weeks and it says on the bottom of the front page that ive visted in the last 24 hrs. Laughing I think that site is completely dead now.

Yup, my RH/sanderson headers cracked at the collector right where sandersons tag would normally be. I rewelded the cracks and that fixed it until I got a deal on the new RH mid-lengths. ....then sold off both sets and need to weld-up some custom headers for the LS engine. I bought a set of the same sanderson headers for our 93 jeep V8 conversion and they came with the tag and havent cracked yet (over a year of daily driving). So who knows.

Glad youre here!!!

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:11 am

gt1scca wrote:
944ls wrote:no turds
Razz [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yeah, I was one of the first "axe-jobs"...
How dumb was that?...Now the same things they booted me for are being published and copyrighted.
Want a copy?

The "original" RC is here also...Predator? He posted a few times on Hybrid9s...haven't seen him here.

Very dumb to boot anyone! Glad to be here though [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wonder what's up with Doug? I never ground up pavement to visit him (I'm so lame).

Damn, getting late and as usual, am browsing the net as I'm slowly getting more dirty undoing a bolt now and then.
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:14 am

944-LT1 wrote:JAMES!!!!!

Now it feels complete again. Very Happy

I never got banned from PHB, I just left. Funny, I havent visited that site in a couple-3 weeks and it says on the bottom of the front page that ive visted in the last 24 hrs. Laughing I think that site is completely dead now.

Yup, my RH/sanderson headers cracked at the collector right where sandersons tag would normally be. I rewelded the cracks and that fixed it until I got a deal on the new RH mid-lengths. ....then sold off both sets and need to weld-up some custom headers for the LS engine. I bought a set of the same sanderson headers for our 93 jeep V8 conversion and they came with the tag and havent cracked yet (over a year of daily driving). So who knows.

Glad youre here!!!

HHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!! WHat's up?????

Hold on.... did you say LS... I could swear you said LS somewhere...?

Let me look.

Yep, LS ... at least typed LS.

Right there, LS. I see it. Shocked
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:56 am

Ok, header is out without undoing any of the hoses. Very Happy

I found to my chagrin that (eh hem) two of my collector bolts had fallen off!

But, I also found three huge cracks in the header collector area (one minor)... as in 4 cracks, one per pipe. At one point, my weld from a year ago kept the outside of the collector area from cracking wide open. So, I'm going to bolt the damn thing up so tight it won't ever come apart and I'm going to weld the collector area up so much so that it can't possibly ever break again. Conclusion, my bad with the bolts (I did really bolt them up tight in the past though!) and my bad for welding it up last time without ever taking it off to do a thorough job (but wish it was welded originally good enough that it wouldn't crack 65% the way through).

Really, you can't see it in that picture, but there is an open crack on every one of the cylinder pipes heading into the collector area... really bad!! Evil or Very Mad

I like to weld though so I'll attack it and post the after pic.

Last edited by RobotMachines on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  948 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:00 am

James, welcome home!
Regarding welding the headers; I have the same coated shorties as you and TIG'd up the collector area on both DS and PS. I sand blasted the area clean and pre-heated the headers before welding but they are now both cracked again, 2000 miles later. The only choice now is to fab your own......I plan to, once I finish remodeling my basement.

Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Well, thanks everyone! I'm very glad to see you guys are still around alien

I'm back in the garage now and MK and Paul both mention building custom headers. After taking another look at it in daylight, it looks horrible. So, I'm going to fabricate plates/triangles to weld and strengthen the thing up; my goal for the day. I'm very tempted to use stainless but I know the expansion and contraction coefficients are different between the two metals... but I'm nuts so what the hell. Let the stresses see if they can thwart my containment structure. Basketball
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:20 pm

Looking deeper at the header cracks, it seems the metal is just too thin. Another 1/2mm-1mm thickness or so would probably make them unbreakable to normal stresses. This leads me to one conclusion; cheap. The metal I used on my custom exhaust is almost twice as thick. I don't expect individual header pipes to be that thick but somewhere in between at least.

Maybe if it's to be that thin, use stainless for better tensile strength. blah

EDIT: had to run the engine with the header off just hear the sound... damn.
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Hey, just to reitterate I ditched the Sanderson POS's and installed pacesetter headers for a 96 vette. 1" of the collector must come off but it works perfectly.
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  948 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:55 pm

Dawgz83948 wrote:Hey, just to reitterate I ditched the Sanderson POS's and installed pacesetter headers for a 96 vette. 1" of the collector must come off but it works perfectly.
Shorties? What was the part #?....

Back to top Go down

Post  dallas on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Glad to see you made it back here James! Just to let you know I'm using your cat and muffler setup. It does sound awsome! I posted my vid under "Its finally underway"

dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  ffmedic on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:33 pm

Dawgz83948 wrote:Hey, just to reitterate I ditched the Sanderson POS's and installed pacesetter headers for a 96 vette. 1" of the collector must come off but it works perfectly.
What part # and do you have any pics you can post?

ffmedic

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:39 pm

Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  ghostcloak on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:58 pm

('Ghost Cloak' should be coming here soon).

Yes! I am here finally! Thanks for the invite Smile

Sandersons are horrible. I had original Sandersons (even had the Sanderson plate on there!) and both sides cracked. They were rewelded by Cody, but that was only a temporary fix despite him claiming otherwise.

I don't have friends who can weld or know anyone with a shop that can do exhaust work and cut me a break. Custom headers are going to be upwards of $2k total (from scratch). I don't want to spend that much. I've got a huge hole in the driver's side collector to the point where the header is, more or less, beyond repair and just needs to be replaced. I've been to several exhaust shops in the Raleigh area and no one wants to work on this kind of project, hence the high estimates.
ghostcloak

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:06 pm

ghostcloak wrote:

Sandersons are horrible. I had original Sandersons (even had the Sanderson plate on there!) and both sides cracked. They were rewelded by Cody, but that was only a temporary fix despite him claiming otherwise.

I don't have friends who can weld or know anyone with a shop that can do exhaust work and cut me a break. Custom headers are going to be upwards of $2k total (from scratch). I don't want to spend that much. I've got a huge hole in the driver's side collector to the point where the header is, more or less, beyond repair and just needs to be replaced. I've been to several exhaust shops in the Raleigh area and no one wants to work on this kind of project, hence the high estimates.

Well I can't claim those welds, it was done at a local exhaust shop. Those headers are thicker than sanderson's and the primaries are larger.
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  ghostcloak on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Is it just me, or are the passenger side headers REALLY close to the frame rail? If I take a turn hard enough to the left, the passenger side will touch the frame rail. Did Cody do a bad job aligning the engine in the bay or something? Otherwise, I don't think that anything larger would fit on the passenger side. I was going to have an exhaust shop cut the primaries before the collector on both sides and go from there. I also have a flex pipe dedicated to each side. For the passenger side, I was going to have the shop "adjust" the primaries so that they are inline as they come down instead of "squared" to make give myself some more room.

Looking from above the collector:

Squared:
[] []
[] []

Inline:
[][][][]
ghostcloak

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:08 am

dallas wrote:Glad to see you made it back here James! Just to let you know I'm using your cat and muffler setup. It does sound awsome! I posted my vid under "Its finally underway"
Sounds good doesn't it Very Happy
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:16 am

ghostcloak wrote:Is it just me, or are the passenger side headers REALLY close to the frame rail? If I take a turn hard enough to the left, the passenger side will touch the frame rail. Did Cody do a bad job aligning the engine in the bay or something? Otherwise, I don't think that anything larger would fit on the passenger side. I was going to have an exhaust shop cut the primaries before the collector on both sides and go from there. I also have a flex pipe dedicated to each side. For the passenger side, I was going to have the shop "adjust" the primaries so that they are inline as they come down instead of "squared" to make give myself some more room.

Looking from above the collector:

Squared:
[] []
[] []

Inline:
[][][][]
The closest Sanderson shorty header area to my passenger side frame rail ('83 944 with an LT1) is about 1.7". The driver's side is about .25". No scrapes that I can see though of it making contact.

Last edited by RobotMachines on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:20 am

ghostcloak wrote:

Glad to see you made it! alien

Yeah, forget the $2K customs; buy a really small Mig welder and use flux core wire; you'll easily be able to weld it! (definitely use flux core and outside). Having a Mig is fun. Or, you can make it very easy for a shop to weld them up if you take the header out and bring it to them.
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:24 am

Dawgz83948 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Awesome link and pictures Dawg!... awesome!!
Here's a more permanent link at Summit Racing:

RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top