HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD
944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 2:55 pm by Porsche951toLS3

» Intake Piping For Very Tight Clearances?
944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 2:46 pm by MotoRider42HC

» WTB: LS Swapped 944
944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 1:16 pm by porschekid7

» tips on removing headers?
944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 8:57 pm by Worryless

» Lighten clutch pedal feel?
944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 8:44 pm by Worryless

» Torque Tube Heat - What is Normal?
944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 12:14 pm by superman22x

» FOR SALE: Kokeln Dual Master Bracket
944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 12:13 pm by MotoRider42HC

» Replacement Radiator
944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» ISO ls swap done with working AC :)
944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 8:19 am by stilov

» 1987 Porsche 944 S - Transaxle FOR SALE
944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 pm by MotoRider42HC

June 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion - Page 2 Empty Re: 944 S2 - LS3 & T56 Conversion

Post  Slpr948 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:39 pm

Ive been really wanting to take pictures, and make another good post just havent had the time... so here is a mini update.

The car was moved to my work location a few months ago, where all my tools are and access to fabrication tools (welder, metal saw etc). I completely redesigned the transmission mount because original version just isnt going to fit now that the whole drivetrain was moved back about 2 inches from mounting the engine on TPC motor mounts.

The new mount is 3D modeled and a test template/mock version out of wood will be made once time permits. I will be taking inspiration from XChop's mount (thank you sir) but it will not be the same... but it will be mounting on those 2 bolts he used... as well as others farther down on the perimeter of that same extension housing. Probably 4 bolts total, with a removable loop tying it together underneath. Basically where the hatch/trunk floor ends at and the top of the backseat begins... I will be running a brace across the width of the car on that seam... and having the mount drop straight down from that location to the transmission/diff extension housing. It will be two pieces, one stays mounted to the trans... and then the main brace/mount will be solid mounted at the location discussed. It will incorporate two poly link-flange/isolator bushings with 1/2 bolts that stab through to tie it all together... similar to what XChop showed.

If I had access to a nice tubing bender I could make a mount similar to my original design/oem design... mounted to the original C5 mounting location on the Getrag Diff. Without a tubing bender though... I just cant clear the gas tank and feel comfortable with how it would be. A lot of the weight would be offset/overhung off the actual mounting point of the brace and I dont like that idea.

Other than that, there has been a little design work/modeling done in other areas. I have the entire trunk/hatch area and rear suspension roughed out in Inventor 3D and will be working on the suspension/trailing arm designs after the trans is mounted. I have plans to incorporate additional camber adjustment as I know that the oem suspension setup doesnt allow as much adjustment as most want/need.

I did install the $40 Daystar 911 spring plate bushings... and yes they required some machining to make them fit right. It will work, but honestly I dont really like it... and I have since decided I am converting the spring plates to a large Heim/Spherical Rod End... very similar to what you see on the VW Dune Buggy Coilover conversion kits. It will consist of two pucks/cylinders that fit inside the outer aluminum spring plate housing and inner torsion tube recess... they will sandwhich and have a large bolt/pin running through the center where the 3/4 or 7/8 rod end will mount/rotate.

Slpr948

Back to top Go down

Post  dabaugh on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Watching this one closely, thanks Slpr.

dabaugh

Back to top Go down

Post  Slpr948 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:26 pm

Thank you!

Big update coming soon... cliff notes below.

Gutted the rest of what was left of the interior and being prepping it for welding. Use a combination of wire brush, aircraft stripper and sanding pads to get it cleaned up.

Made wooden template for trans mount plate, figured out some of the missing dimensions and re modeled with new poly bushings etc.

Ordered another rear axle carrier/torsion tube to simplify making the suspension brace/crossmember.

Slpr948

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin924kevin on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:38 am

How's the bulk going? Any updates
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  Slpr948 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:23 pm

kevin924kevin wrote:How's the bulk going? Any updates

My apologies for disappearing for a while... I havent checked your thread or anyones in months and months. Had many big life changes going on, honestly havent had much time to focus on the car other than a little design/conceptual work. Moved houses, moved the car to where I am living now and moved jobs. I am focusing on getting settled in and then I will start working on the car again later this year/early next year. I have access to a nice tubing bender now though and other heavy machinery/fabrication equipment... so thatl be a big plus when I can get back into it. Mark my words though, this project will get done... I dont give up, its just going to take as long as it takes.

Slpr948

Back to top Go down

Post  Slpr948 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:31 pm

*drumroll*

I am bringing this thread back from the dead for a very important update! I had to put the project on hold a few years ago due to a new job and day to to day life getting in the way. I never gave up on making this a reality I just needed to come back at it fully prepared and ready to get it done for real this time.

As of yesterday the car has been moved out of storage and into my 2 car garage. I have been buying tools and preparing the garage for months now and finally have a great solid place to work on the car. More importantly I have the tooling I need, at home ready to go whenever I want to. It really is a thing of beauty and its the best setup I have ever had at home.

I am currently working on finishing the final shop layout, setting up equipment and misc tools etc. I have cleaned and organized the entire contents of the garage. If its still in the garage... its purely devoted for working on the car (minus one small corner for yard tools).

I already had a ton of mechanic oriented tools but needed a bunch of fabrication tools to do this project. Here is a list of tools/equipment/supplies I have bought over the past 6 months or so in preparation for getting this party started! Keep in mind I am trying to do this on a reasonable budget and limited space. Ive taken my time and picked equipment with good reviews that will do the job and not break the bank

• Alpha Tig 200AMP AC/DC Tig Welder
  • 220CF Argon Bottle
  • Dual Flow Meter (For back purging)
  • Upgraded TIG Foot Pedal
  • Auto-Darkening Welding Hood
  • Welding Gloves, Shirt & Caps etc
  • Welding Tables
  • Extra Consumables (Tungsten, gas lenses, cups, collets etc)
  • Tungsten Sharpener
  • 3/16 & 1/8 ER70S-2 Steel Filler Rod (10lbs of each size)
  • 3/16 and 1/8 ER4043 Aluminum Filler Rod (5lbs of each size)
  • Propane Torch (for pre-heating)
  • 8" Tekton 360 Swivel Bench Vice
  • Bench Grinders
  • WEN 4225 15-Inch Variable Speed Floor-Standing Drill Press
  • Evolution Power Tools R255SMS 10" TCT Multi-Material Sliding Miter Saw (wicked little saw)
  • D1050 Diablo 10" Cermet II 50-Tooth Steel Cutting Blade (2 pack to get started)
  • US General 26" Top Chest (other top chest was literally falling apart)
  • Misc tool organizers, tool box labels etc (my tools are more organized than ever)
  • Extra 4 1/2 Angle Grinders
  • Variety of abrasives (sand disc, flap disc, cut off wheels etc)
  • Uvex Bionic Face Shield
  • Bunch of Safety Glasses
  • Eye Wash Bottles
  • AND 1 BIG ASSSSSSS FIRE EXTINGUISHER cheers

Another thing to note... I have decided to ditch using the stock rear suspension and bought an entire C6 rear suspension setup with 10k miles from an 06 C6. I also purchased the rear frame rails cut out of a wrecked Corvette to help with solving all the guess work in the suspension geometry. It really is going to simplify the build in many ways and ultimately I think is the best thing for getting the power down to the ground reliably over the coming years.

Many pictures and updates to come my friends... progress will no doubt be slow but there will be a lot of progress this year. I am going back to square 1 with the project and starting fresh. Over the coming months I will be finishing up the garage/equipment setup and planning exactly how I am going to graft the C6 suspension into the vehicle. Once I have everything designed, modeled, mock fitted etc I will get into the nitty gritty fabrication work.

After that is complete I will move my focus to doing only what is needed to get the vehicle running and driving reliably. All interior, exterior and EXTRA stuff will come later. I really want to focus on getting this thing on the road... and then ill have a project car that actually moves under its own power. As with any project like this, there is a ton of EXTRA stuff I want to do but if I try to do every little thing right now, who knows when it will actually drive. For instance this may mean buying a temp junkyard engine until the 6.2 can be fully built the way I want it. It may mean... no wide body right now, no new interior, no new paint, no full roll cage. I am talking about meat and potatoes... a reliable driveline, good brakes, good seats... fully road legal.

If all things go well, I hope to be doing some celebratory birthday burnouts January 2020 for my 30th.

Wish me luck!

Slpr948

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:38 am

Slpr948...very much interested in your C6 transaxle swap. I too was "off project" for about 4 years as life happens. In my project I started with the engine build which I completed in late 2014...fast forward to 2019 and I'm about to begin the swap.

Good luck with your project... I'll be following!

Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  Slpr948 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:10 am

Raymond-P wrote:Slpr948...very much interested in your C6 transaxle swap.  I too was "off project" for about 4 years as life happens.  In my project I started with the engine build which I completed in late 2014...fast forward to 2019 and I'm about to begin the swap.

Good luck with your project... I'll be following!

Thank you

I think there are a lot of people out there that have thought about doing this... but very few that make it happen for obvious reasons. I hope I can help you and others that want to "see" more before they try it themselves.

I got antsy and did some mock fitting earlier this week. I started with removing the gas tank because it clearly wont fit right now... although it does look very possible to relocate it back about 10 inches and retain the factory tank setup. Then I cut the spare tire well out, making room for the corvette frame rails and possibly the fuel tank relocation. Then I cut more of the back seat out, basically flush to the frame rails. Overall as you will see it fits very very well... granted I know I need to go up a few more inches... which 100% for sure is going to require notching/modifying the stock frame rail to clear the upper control arm and shock mount points. Based on the axle/diff alignment and position of the differential mount, I am confident the cradle is within an inch or two of where it needs to be centered in the wheel well.

I am using a C5Z differential... with a C6 cradle and will have to make an adapter for the differential mount. Ive seen some vette guys do it, and I will have to weld in some aluminum plate to the cradle... and then drill some holes and reuse stock mount or go with an aftermarket.

Why did I buy the C6 cradle vs the C5 you may ask? Availability/condition and pricing... also the C6 control arms push the hubs supposedly 5/8 of an inch to the rear more. This is one of the ways the engineers lengthened the wheel base of the C6 vs the C5... the other is supposedly the Torque tube being longer. I cant really confirm any of that yet, but I have researched it and that seems to be the most accurate information to my knowledge. If I run into issue a C5 cradle is $80 right now shipped to my door... which I honestly will probably be buying anyways just to have if needed... and the entire C6 suspension can be mounted to the C5 cradle. For now I am going to keep the C5 torque tube, but if needed/possible I may do a C6 torque tube to lengthen the wheel base of the car a little bit... ill cross that bridge when I do wide body etc. Which may be sooner than later, depending on wheel fitment.

Anyways here are some rough mock fitment teaser pics...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Slpr948

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down