944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
New member considering LS1 swap. EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
New member considering LS1 swap. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
New member considering LS1 swap. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
New member considering LS1 swap. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
New member considering LS1 swap. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
New member considering LS1 swap. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
New member considering LS1 swap. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
New member considering LS1 swap. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
New member considering LS1 swap. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
New member considering LS1 swap. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

New member considering LS1 swap.

+4
kevin924kevin
RS Technic
Lemming
LS86NA
8 posters

Go down

New member considering LS1 swap. Empty New member considering LS1 swap.

Post  LS86NA Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi there guys, my name is Roman and I own, maintain and daily drive a 1986 Porsche 944 N/A. I have been considering an LSX swap for a long time and I believe I have enough money saved up to do the swap. What I'm concerned with is the difficulty of the swap. I have built engines, swapped a few (same manufacturer) and have confidence I can bolt things together Wink.
I also have a 87 trans am that I know would be much easier to swap than my 944, but I love the 944 chassis and build quality so I would like to go through with it if I am capable. Is there anybody in Washington state with an LS swap I could talk to or possibly see their car? I just have so many questions! And yes I know how to use the search button haha. Thank you all for taking the time to read this. Happy new year.

LS86NA

Back to top Go down

New member considering LS1 swap. Empty Re: New member considering LS1 swap.

Post  Lemming Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:31 am

Welcome. I would think that if you have built engines as well as done a few "swaps", you'd be good to go on the LS conversion. It's not really that difficult and there is a wealth of info available. Good luck.
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

New member considering LS1 swap. Empty Swap

Post  RS Technic Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:02 am

I agree with Lemming.
The swap itself is not difficult, it more time consuming.
I personally have found the most difficult part has been the "...as long as I'm in here/have it apart" syndrome.
My project went from a swap to a down to the frame rebuild.
When I'm done it will be a new car, but it has added a considerable amount of time.
Even so, I'd start it and do it again in a second.
RS Technic
RS Technic

Back to top Go down

New member considering LS1 swap. Empty Swap

Post  kevin924kevin Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:37 am

Welcome, you will not be disappointed. Mine went the same one thing after another but well worth the time and effort. Good luck and enjoy the process.
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:32 am

Just as an aside, whatever you think your budget is, double it.
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  cannonball Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:41 pm

You will NEVER regret the swap!!!! I believe I may have been the first swap in the country ( at least using the Renegade Kit, so I had to get a lot of help from Renegade and the LT swappers here. It is not difficult. per se, and if you have built engines, you will be fine. I started mine in early September and drove the car at Christmas. am sure others here have done it both more quickly and a more slowly. While building mine, I got a ride in Predators LT1 conversion and it really lit a fire under me to get mine done, so if you can get a ride, I highly encourage it. It is a completely different car with the v8. The guys here are great and help you a lot.
cannonball
cannonball

http://www.expuppy.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LS86NA Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:36 pm

Thank you all for the input!.
The "while you're in there" syndrome is a real thing for sure, however I'm going to try to keep it at a minimum this time. The main thing I'm concerned with is the braking system, clutch disengagement (sp?) and the torque tube alignment. The main thing is I don't have access to a welder and my fabrication skills are limited. Is there a truly "bolt in" solution to the ls swap? I'm planning to run no A/C and I would like to run manual steering depending on how much parking lot steering effort changes - I'm planning on keeping this car my daily driver after the swap. I wish there was someone close to me that would be kind enough to take me for a ride, but I haven't even seen one in person yet.
Thanks again

LS86NA

Back to top Go down

Post  w00tPaPa Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:21 pm

For me, it was as "Plug n Play" as you get, granted as long as you get the correct engine and accessories from the get-go. The kit i got from TPC made it easy, to be honest. Budget timing was my issue on how quick my build has gone. Plus, "just doing the swap" has turned into "ok, i need better brakes" to "ok, now i need springs and torsion bars" and so on. All depends how deep you want to go, and i suppose the condition of the car currently would have a bit to do with what you would replace or not. To me it seems each 944 swap ive seen (interwebz) has its own particular quirk to it in terms of how the engine sits in the bay, and some wiring(maybe more, im still on my first one What a Face ).

If you're mechanically inclined type person, and do well with things like that: I say have at it. PLENTY of help here on the forum!

If i had the choice again to do it, or not do it. I would DEFINITELY do it. and if you do: BEST OF LUCK!

w00tPaPa

Back to top Go down

Post  LS86NA Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:19 pm

I think I'm going to go ahead and do it, sounds like I should be able to get this swap done. I have a budget of about 15k to get this done, I'm hoping that will be enough. Time to start looking for an engine. Is the F body LS1 what I want?

LS86NA

Back to top Go down

Post  w00tPaPa Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Correct:F-body LS. Preferably 1999+ for ECU tuning AND (as i found out) the older LS's (like mine aka: "perimeter bolt") have much taller valve covers, and with the hydroboost, the DR side MUST be cut down for MasterCylinder clearance. If you are running power steering i suggest poking around a bit with the advanced search, i cant speak much on it as i have a manual rack, and am not entirely sure of the differences other than my p/s pump only runs the brakes. Spring for the longtube conversion headers.

w00tPaPa

Back to top Go down

Post  LS86NA Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Very good to know, thank you.. I was planning on running a manual rack and brakes. What size tires do you run? I'm worried about steering effort.

LS86NA

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi Roman. I'm in Seattle and would be happy to show you my car. I'm in the midst of a move across town, fixing up a house but the car's still at the old place. Mine's a track car, interior gutted w/ cage but it is registered and insured for street use. In fact, it's overdue for a romp about town.

I did the swap myself having done only one engine swap like-for-like make before. I don't weld but have a buddy that helped me with that. I used a scissor lift which was instrumental. Initially I did manual steering and brakes but recently added power steering as the ratio was too slow and the effort too high with 255 track tires. (Other's disagree...) And as Lemming said, I blew my original budget quite badly.

Shoot me a PM and we can setup a time to meet-up.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  majormojo Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi Roman,

Welcome. I'm in the middle of my swap and it's definitely the biggest project I've taken on, but definitely feels do-able. Previously I had done a few like for like engine swaps and prepped a couple race cars. The work itself isn't that difficult; but it's complex. I think the biggest issue is that it's not really plug and play because there so many variables and so many "right" ways to get things done depending on your goals and preferences. So be prepared to do lots of research on various options, look at what others have done and then decide what's best for you. I don't have a lot of fabrication or welding skills and so I tend to rely on purchasing known solutions rather than building from scratch, which is a bit more limiting and a bit more $. Your skill set may be different. Good luck on your project! The advanced search is your friend and the folks here will pretty much always have answers for your questions.
majormojo
majormojo

Back to top Go down

Post  LS86NA Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:11 pm

Rich,
I would love to see your car and pick your brain about the swap. Seems my post count is too low to send PMs?

Majormojo,
Thank you for the insight. The complexity is what scares me the most about the swap, though I have always been one to go above and beyond to do things the "right" way. Hopefully this swap is right up my alley.

Thank you everybody for the replies. It seems this forum is a place full of friendly people! I'm looking forward to being a part of this community. Good stuff.

LS86NA

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:14 am

Looks like you're at 5 posts now. You should be good to PM. cheers
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down