944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
ecotec swap - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
ecotec swap - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
ecotec swap - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
ecotec swap - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
ecotec swap - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
ecotec swap - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
ecotec swap - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
ecotec swap - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
ecotec swap - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
ecotec swap - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

ecotec swap

+20
alex sol
577nitro
matty89
944_GASM
racertomtom
spence
P911P951
SOB Racing
phlip
kevin924kevin
xschop
jakeb
sharkey
Sirayden
erioshi
v2rocket
acorad
sparkydog
Lemming
Rich L.
24 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

ecotec swap - Page 3 Empty Re: ecotec swap

Post  sharkey Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:44 pm

got the cams installed last night, and painted the engine today

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

got a good pile of parts to get powdercoated before i can finish assembling the engine.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  v2rocket Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:54 am

looks awesome!

How similar an engine is this to the LSJ?
I really like the packaging on those with the supercharger. Almost enough to try to fit one...

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:24 pm

its very close to the same engine. all of the 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4l ecotecs are very much the same engines. the blower setup from the 2.0l lsj will bolt right onto a 2.2 or 2.4l. my daily driver is a cobalt ss with the lsj, it puts down 275whp and 260ft/lb. keeping the stock supercharger, thats about the limits of the stock engine on gas, some have put down 300hp with e85. there is an eaton tvs blower that bolts right up, however 330-350 is about it. now take the same stock lsj longblock, swap the blower out for a turbo, itll put down 420whp all day long. the blower makes for a real nice daily driver though, normal driving its got v6 grunt.

as for swapping an lsj with the blower into a 944, i dont think its possible. have a look at some of my early pics and were the engine sits in the car. i had to clearance the firewall around the oil filter housing, and the back of my intake manifold is almost in the firewall. the supercharger inlet is at least 2" behind that oil filter housing, the throttle body would be sharing space with your right foot lol. the lsj has been used in rwd stuff before, people have cut the end of the blower off and welded a 90 degree elbow on and redone the inlet, but because of our firewall shape in the 944, i just dont see it. tilting the engine to the passenger side could be done, however im not sure about oil drain back from the head. its common in the fwd drag engines to tilt them forward up to 25 degrees, but they run dry sumps with a valve cover scavange.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:24 pm

couldnt resist setting the turbo on it for a couple pics

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:04 am

well guys, its on the backburner again. i decided on a brake upgrade and have gathered most of that stuff (lexus ls430 calipers, wilwood 2 piece rotors with xschop rotor hats, rx7 calipers and 86 turbo rotors out back). the sema show is right around the corner, we have 2 major builds and not enough man power, so im working 16 hours a day 7 days a week again.

today we had a media company come to our shop and do a video blog live. the company (two sharks media) is heavily involved with the show Supernatural. anyways, i thought id share the video with you guys show off some of the stuff we are building. im not in the video, was to busy on the "secret project", however my 944 got some attention.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:14 pm

well sema is a couple weeks past, our 2 builds both got derailed and things are just slowing down a bit now. hoping ill have some updates soon.

a small update, i have a clutch disc on route that should work with my current spec 3+ pressure plate and fidenza flywheel. ive also got the slave cylinder that ill be using, its from a 2005-2012 mustang. all i should have to do is figure out my depth from the pressure plate to the back of the bellhousing, make a spacer/mount for the slave and it can all go together and the motor can go in the car.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:47 pm

finally some progress. ive finally got a clutch for the beast. the end result is i used the stage 3+ spec pressure plate i already had, got a spec 3+ disc for a 944 n/a, and with a few mods it all works together along with a fidenza flywheel. i also managed to work out the slave cylinder/release bearing. i used a slave cylinder from a 2005-2012 mustang, ive used them before in custom applications, they work very well because they have a lot of possible travel (actual travel is determined by the master cylinder) making them forgiving to set up. ive got the pedestal for it machined and bolted to the adapter plate.

ive also got the oil pan powder coated, so its ready to go on. all i need to do is make the steel line from the slave to outside the bellhousing and ill be ready to bolt it all together and cram the motor in for the final time.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:21 pm

its back in, and this time to stay

had to do some more machining on my slave cylinder mount. when i measured everything when it was in pieces and calculated the installed height i somehow made a .200" error and i couldnt get the adapter onto the bellhousing. woops. of well, at least it was .200" i had to remove and not add. so its in the car to stay now. hopefully with get the majority of my parts powdercoated tomorrow and can start bolting some stuff on.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:37 pm

managed to get a little more done today. turbo oil feed and returns are done, and built the hot side charge pipe.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:36 pm

and the cold side charge pipe is done, aside from a couple bungs for iat sensor and meth nozzle

and im a little happier with my welding tonight

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:16 am

That looks like a fun swap. The reliability factor alone justifies tossing the crapasil block.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:29 pm

its been a lot of fun so far

got my lower rad "hose" built tonight. managed to get it sealed with no pinholes on the first shot.

also started the downpipe tonight. it looks like there is a lot of room for it, but its real tight once you start snaking 3" tubing through there.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:43 pm

im back at it this week. my boss decided we should take the week off, so im spending the whole time working on the car.

as of now, the exhaust is complete. the turbo manifold, turbo, downpipe, exhaust and water pump cover/thermostat housing are all in for the final time. got an air intake built, all the turbo plumbing is done.

im hoping to button up most of the mechanical stuff tomorrow. ive gotta build fuel lines, mount the fan, install the rad hose, bleed the brakes and clutch, and a couple other loose ends. hoping to start wiring it by thursday.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:37 pm

starting to get down to the last things. the car is now 95% wired, just need to terminate the oil pressure sensor wiring and make a battery cable to the starter. had the car powered up for the first time, ecu, dash logger, and all the gauges worked right off the bat, not a single issue. that was one good thing about waiting for parts for so long, it gave me time to really plan out the wiring harness. as it is, only 2 wires from everything i added are spliced into the factory wiring, and thats switched power and an illumination wire for the boost gauge.

tomorrow ill be finishing the wiring, making fuel lines, and hopefully bleeding brakes and the clutch. if everything goes the way im hoping, itll run before next weekend.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:02 am

its ready to fire. brakes and clutch are bled (although the clutch seems to lose pressure overnight, a couple pumps and its fine), everything is full of fluid. had a bit of time to i tossed an old deck in it tonight, sounds craptastic with 4x6 speakers all around. hood is back on, although i cant close it. did some trimming of the structure and its so close, i can actually get it to latch if i force it, but its on the valve cover. still not sure what im gonna do, dont really want a z28 cowl, but anything else is gonna look goofy cause its so far forward. doing a bulge would work too. just dont know.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

ecotec swap - Page 3 Empty conversion

Post  kevin924kevin Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:07 pm

Very nice build. Do a video when she's running.
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:57 pm

thanks. there will for sure be videos, we have go pro mounts around the dyno, and ill be putting one in the car lol

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  phlip Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:03 pm

sharkey wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

its ready to fire. brakes and clutch are bled (although the clutch seems to lose pressure overnight, a couple pumps and its fine), everything is full of fluid. had a bit of time to i tossed an old deck in it tonight, sounds craptastic with 4x6 speakers all around. hood is back on, although i cant close it. did some trimming of the structure and its so close, i can actually get it to latch if i force it, but its on the valve cover. still not sure what im gonna do, dont really want a z28 cowl, but anything else is gonna look goofy cause its so far forward.   doing a bulge would work too. just dont know.

Put one of these in the hood where the valve cover hits

phlip
phlip

Back to top Go down

Post  SOB Racing Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:39 am

Nothing wrong with a cam cover sticking through a hood.   My 4g63T swapped Rx7

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  P911P951 Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:46 pm

phlip wrote:
sharkey wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

its ready to fire. brakes and clutch are bled (although the clutch seems to lose pressure overnight, a couple pumps and its fine), everything is full of fluid. had a bit of time to i tossed an old deck in it tonight, sounds craptastic with 4x6 speakers all around. hood is back on, although i cant close it. did some trimming of the structure and its so close, i can actually get it to latch if i force it, but its on the valve cover. still not sure what im gonna do, dont really want a z28 cowl, but anything else is gonna look goofy cause its so far forward.   doing a bulge would work too. just dont know.

Put one of these in the hood where the valve cover hits

I have one of these in fiberglass that I did not use if you are interested...

P911P951

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:07 am

yea i dont mind that scoop, it could work. i started thinking about how close the turbo is to the hood and how much itll bake the paint. with that in mind i decided to go with something a little larger, even though i dont really want it. i ended up ordering a scoop from a 79-82 mustang. itll get the job done, and i think itll suit the car. its in transit right now, should have it next week.

havent gotten it running yet. having some issues with the computer, the tuner is working with microtech directly to get it sorted. the ecotec is a custom application for them, so this isnt really anything unexpected. being they are in australia, it takes a bit to get an answer. hope to have it running soon though. in the mean time i got my rear valance mounted on the car, so once the scoop is on the hood both can get painted at the same time.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:08 pm

didnt have a lot of time today, but we got it running. just got the fuel trimmed enough so itll fire and run. my wideband is giving me issues, and the alternator isnt charging, but it runs. gonna have to get those few things sorted before i can run it much more.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:01 pm

so turns out the alternator is dead. no biggie, ill grab another one tomorrow. still managed to run it for a while, got the idle sorted for the most part.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:40 pm

got the alternator swapped out this week, fixed the problem. i started fitting my hood scoop tonight

i decided to mount the scoop backwards to make it an extractor hood. it did look kinda cool the other way, but a little too aggressive to go with the rest of the car. i need to do some fitting to make it match the curvature of the hood, and invert the curve at the front of the scoop so it matches the front of the hood.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:47 pm

i started with contouring the scoop to fit the hood today. ended up taking more material out than i wanted, and ill have some glassing to do. then i cut the front edge of so i can reverse the curve to match the front edge of the hood. more glassing to do lol. hoping tomorrow ill have it all put back together and ready for some filler and body work next week. id like to get it and the rear valance in paint soon.

also got my new battery. went with an Xs power s925. its a small agm battery, still plenty of cranking amps though. used these in quite a few cars. also put in one of the battery trays my shop is starting to produce.

the battery holders are built to fit specific batteries and are not universal. right now we have them to fit popular xs power and optima batteries, as well as some stinger audio batteries and braile lithium batteries.

earlier in this thread i had info on the obx fuel rail that is marketed for the lsj and doesnt fit. i did make it fit, but the end result is i ended up with leaks around the o-rings. after an evening of frustration i ended up ripping the thing off and throwing it at the wall. ended up with the modified 03-05 l61 rail back on it. i went away from it because of firewall clearance, i just ended up hammer modding the firewall a bit, was my only real option.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next