944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
Oil cooler routing EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Oil cooler routing EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Oil cooler routing EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Oil cooler routing EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Oil cooler routing EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Oil cooler routing EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am by gwistrup

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Oil cooler routing EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

» WANTED: 948 Conversion Manual
Oil cooler routing EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm by Elskeptico

» FS 1989 Transmission for 944
Oil cooler routing EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 10:02 am by 87roadracer

» Honda k24 swap
Oil cooler routing EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 6:00 am by 89EFhatch

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Oil cooler routing

5 posters

Go down

Oil cooler routing Empty Oil cooler routing

Post  Dan J Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi guys,

I'm just finalizing a few small projects on my track car and have a basic question about routing an oil cooler.

There are a couple options I'm thinking of, and it's not clear whether a thermostat or sandwich adapter, or thermostat + sandwich adapter are needed.

What's better?

Engine out to remote oil filter
Remote filter out to thermostat (Derale 13011)
Thermostat to cooler
Cooler return to Engine

Or

Engine out to remote oil filter - with an oil cooler sandwich adapter
Sandwich adapter to oil cooler
Cooler return to Engine

Or some other combination?

Thanks in advance,
Dan J.
Dan J
Dan J

Back to top Go down

Oil cooler routing Empty Re: Oil cooler routing

Post  Techno Duck Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:07 pm

I went oil pan to a remote oil filter housing with AN fittings. I am using a separate Mocal thermostat to an oil cooler aswell; the thermostat bypasses directly back to the block until it gets up to temp; I think 160*F before it will open up the cooler. I prefer not to use sandwich plates because it's another leak source.

If you are interested, I have a spare unused Moroso billet filter housing with -12AN fittings. I ended up with two of these and don't need the second. This used the very large Ford Motorcraft FL1A filter which is well regarded and easy to find locally. PM me if interested  Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan J Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks for the input. That's the direction I'll go.

I already have a remote filter housing that I added when originally building up the car a few years ago. I'm in Oregon and have only run the car a couple times in 80+ degree heat. Temps haven't been a problem at the track, but I'd always planned on adding some cooler capacity just in case. I had removed the transaxle in order to rebuild the torque tube, and pulled the engine out for some new heads... and these coolers are a 'while you're in there' project.

Thank you again for the input.

Dan.
Dan J
Dan J

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:54 pm

Hey Dan. I have TPC's oil pan with the AN in/out fittings. I went from pan to thermostat which routs to the filter if cold or to my cooler if hot. From the cooler goes into the other side of the filter. From filter goes back to the pan.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  racertomtom Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:48 pm

First off, I’m not bashing anyone’s techniques or ideas; I’m simply thinking about yet another system I don’t have completely worked out for my build. I’m struggling to justify the addition of an oil cooler thermostat. I’m trying to understand its benefit as opposed to simply being patient and allowing the engine to warm up before subjecting it to serious loads. I guess I’m questioning an air oil cooler’s ability to slow this process very much, especially with no vehicle speed. Am I missing something? What are you guys’ thoughts on the subject?

racertomtom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:01 am

I'm not using a thermostat, as you said, I just let it warm up before loading it. I have had an issue with running to cool on track in Feb (yes it gets cold in AL in Feb), in that case, I tape off the cooler.
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan J Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:51 am

Hi guys,

The thermostat allows oil to bypass the cooler until a certain temp is reached. In the case of the one I'm using 180 deg. Once the oil temp passes 180 deg an internal passage closes and the oil is forced up to the cooler then back through the return line. As with a lot of this conversion stuff, there are lots of different approaches.

Here in the sunny NW even in the summer it can be very cool in the morning, then pretty warm later afternoon. I hadn't been having temp issues in the past, but added the cooling system as one of several off season projects.

I also added a trans cooler in the spare tire well, which extends the existing transaxle cooler loop. I don' t know what the trans temps were but figure with all the hp/torque it's probably running hotter than it's meant to be.

Dan.
Dan J
Dan J

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:25 am

Dan J wrote:Hi guys,
I also added a trans cooler in the spare tire well, which extends the existing transaxle cooler loop. I don' t know what the trans temps were but figure with all the hp/torque it's probably running hotter than it's meant to be.
Dan.

My old system (951s coil cooler) never got above 195oF on track. However, the cooler was developing a leak (crack) and I replaced it with a cooler in the spare tire well, as well. I do not have a thermometer in the news system, so not sure what the temps, but I'm guessing less than 195 due to greater cooling potential. I will likely block off the air flow to the cooler on cool/cold days.
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:09 pm

I was over-cooling the engine oil on cold PacNW days, hence the thermostat. For a track-only car in a warmer climate, I agree it's likely not necessary.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  racertomtom Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:26 pm

I hadn’t thought about running in cold weather but I like the idea of taping up the cooler. I think I’m just paranoid about potential problems with a part that’s not essential. Drag racers will take every part off of a car, hold it in front of them and let go. If it hits the ground it’s too heavy and stays off unless it’s required to go or stop, stopping was sometimes optional. Embarassed
I also use to rip the guts out of the coolant thermostat and put it back in so it couldn't stick.

racertomtom

Back to top Go down