HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» How to bleed LS1 w/ 951 radiator?
Today at 8:05 pm by 948

» New convert under way
Today at 6:17 pm by kevin924kevin

» Magnuson supercharged car?
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:08 pm by Michael B.

» Still pulling away like a freight train supercharged 944 LS1
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:14 pm by Michael B.

» 1994 porsche 968 For Sale LT1- MAKE OFFER
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 pm by Dawgz83948

» WTB: LS powered 968
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 pm by ScarGO1

» Dual Manual Brake Master Setup For Sale
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 am by Porschedoc

» Poly engine mounts melted
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:42 pm by Arthropraxis

» Simple Heater Valve Solution for Early Cars (And Late)
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:14 pm by superman22x

» Intake choice
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:05 pm by superman22x

February 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

85 944 with a 4g63 Turbo swap

Go down

85 944 with a 4g63 Turbo swap

Post  SOB Racing on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Well SOB Racing picked up another project car.   This one is a father son project with my boy.  The deal was he saved up some cash and we find a project car to start working on now and then he's have a cool car to get his permit in.  He just turned 13 so we got some time.

We've looked at alot of cars (mainly 60's and early 70's).   He really liked El Caminos but I found this car on Craiglist for a deal we couldn't pass up.   He saw it and said he was ready to spend his $350!   I kicked in the rest of the cash and got a hell of a deal,essentially what I paid for my Rx7 roller that I completed a 4g63T swap and is running mid 11's.

It's a 1985/1 (early) 944 with a 2.5L non-turbo.   It has a blown clutch, we already replaced the clutch master and slave since they are shot, but the clutch is so far gone it will only drive the wheels when the car is on jackstands.  It come with Fuch 15" wheels, which he wants to seel since he like the extra stock set we got better.  I got a full custom carpet kit and we are in the process of changing the interior over from $#** brown to black.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

We got the stock engine running and are looking for a used clutch to get it mobile to allow us to repair the rough interior (Due to the California Sun) and then work on an engine swap.

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

Re: 85 944 with a 4g63 Turbo swap

Post  Lemming on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:26 pm

Good luck with the project, it will be quality time with your son!
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  phlip on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:25 pm

If you want to sell those 7 and 8 inch fuchs post them on 944 cup forums.
I got like 800 for mine.
phlip

Back to top Go down

Post  SOB Racing on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I'm sending the stock wheel to get blasted so we can paint them first. I like the Fuch's...so i want to make sure he likes the phone dials better! Cool

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  SOB Racing on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:15 pm

Well progress has been pretty slow due to me racing my Rx7 and trying to show the kid how to do things. We did get the phonedial rims blasted and need to paint them. We Stripped more out of the interior to clean and dye black. Doors, back seat and centerconsole are done.

We got the transaxle out this weekend. Took my son 2 hours to get the 32 bolts out of the CV's. Clean the bolt, clean his hands, clean the tool, repeat. Was kind of funny. Should be able to get the torque tube and clutch out this week. Degreased the trans last night....now I have to get the fill plug out to drain the fluid. Soaked in PB blaster for days and couldn't pop it loose.

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  SOB Racing on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:19 pm

So does anyone know the thread size of the drain plugs in the transaxle. I need to run a tap since the threads on one are jack up a little.

Good news is nothing "bad" fell out of the trans when I drained it. Laughing

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  SOB Racing on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Finally got the bell housing out but it was a PITA.   Had a hard time getting the bousing off between the tunnel, the clutch and the torque tube shaft.

If the shaft would have moved back another 1/2" it would have been cake.

Is the rear housing suppose to only go back this far without hitting the chassis?

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  SOB Racing on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:43 pm

Finally got the clutch out of the 944...pretty easy to see the issue.   The rubber isolator ripped out of the clutch disk.

The limiter broke the welds on the flywheel side

Pressure plate actually doesn't look bad but I got a used SPEC replacment

Going to Rotoloc the flywheel to knock the glaze off and use it as is.  Looks flat, no check or hot spots.

Ordered a new TOB Sleeve and pilot bearing since they are cheap insurance

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  SOB Racing on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Well the first step is done...we got the car running as is.  With the used Spec clutch in, axles cleaned and lubed, new speed and ref sensors in and a bunch of hacked wiring fixed.  One spin around the block and then straight to the burn out test.

Link to: Burnout

Clutch works great and trans seems to shift good.   Inner tie rod ends need replacement really bad.

Got some dimesions for the 4g63 swap while it was apart too

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  SOB Racing on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:23 pm

A few interior shots of the $#** brown to black conversion.   Still need to replace the carpet (in spring) and paint the dash.

Back seat...don't pay attention to the jute on the floor and rubber sound deadenor on the wheel well, I can't find new carpet yet for beside the seat and the side walls of the rear hatch

Started mocking up the 4g63 part of the swap.  Got the idea from a guy swapping a VW motor into a 944.   Why start new when you can (hopefully) cut down a stock bell/transmission.

Disreguard the hacked out section, this is the bell I used to figure out the pilot shaft spacing on the Seven swap.

Here the start off cutting off the old front diff part of the housing.   The corrosion is from sitting outside in my scrap pile.   I have 3 more good one to do the final version in my shed

start of the template for the adapter plate to mate the 944 torque tube to the bell

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  SOB Racing on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:25 pm

Decided to pull the front cover and make sure the timing and balance belt arn't on the verge of mass destruction.   I'll have to make the call on changing all this at some point.   Motor is interferance design so when the belts break it trashes the motor and makes it unsellable later for the swap.

The timing belt is Contitech (aftermarket)so apparently it was changed at least once in it life.   Seems in good shape.   Water pump is the upgraded water pump with the guard...apparantly that a good thing too according to the message boards.

Here's some more progress on the bellhousing.   1/2 MDF is template for the 1/2 aluminum adapter.   I will be turning an aluminum locater to center on the hole in that plate and the opening in the torque tube.   That will both ensure the drive shaft is concentric with the clutch/pilot bearing and take the vertical load off the 4 bolt flange of the torque tube.   The 4 bolt will thread into this adapter.

One snafu through:

The 1" Porsche driveshaft, represented by the clutch alignment tool, doesn't fit through the cast n TOB sleeve in the Talon AWD bell (which was 5/8").   Which really sucks because I could use the stock clutch arm, TOB and slave setup from the Talon

So some calculations:

Does anyone have a spare torque tube to measure the movement of a driveshaft in a torque tube so I can calculate how much clearance I need to bore out of the cast TOB sleeve?

It shouldn't move around much when mounted, but I don't want the driveshaft touching the casting while in assembly.
And then I can see how thin that TOB sleeve will end up and still be strong enough.   The TOB shouldn't take much side load but can't be too thin.  Cool

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  SOB Racing on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:20 am

Car is parked in storage but i got a little bit of an update.

Got my mockup bellhousing from BrimField Hardware. Had the TOB slide bored to 27mm to clear the 25mm 944 driveshaft/torque tube. Should be enough casting meat to work with the Mitsu clutch

Still working on seeing how mutch AWD trans casting to remove. All open areas will be tig welded close with AL plate.

Here the adapter that centers the torque tube on the center line of the bellhousing and the crank.

MDF template for bellhousing adapter and the torque tube adapter. The TT adapter needs 3 bolt hole bored in it. I'm working on building an indexing head for my new lathe to allow me to lay out the bolts holes easier. I could lay them out by hand...but I want to build a lathe index head anyway. Cool

Everything mocked up. I'll need to index the bolt holes for the TT with engine in the car in case the engine needs to be tipped to one side for engine compartment clearance.

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

I am thikning sbout this swap myself

Post  proporsche on Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:37 pm

Any updates SOB?

proporsche

Back to top Go down

Post  SOB Racing on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:45 am

Not many updates on the conversion itself.   Been just driving it when the weather permits (no working AC) and it's been hot as hell here last month or so. Car seems to be getting more get up and go the more we drive it. Still a frickin dog, but at least it goes 80 now.

Been having a hard time finding a core 4g63 to swap so we decided to do some preventive on the stock Porsche engine so we don't trash it.  So I did order the timing belt, balance belt and pulley set...$260 hurt a little. The two of us spent some time this past two weekends pulling it apart and got it mostly re-assembled. Broke some stuff in the process. Good thing i ordered the full kit, 3 of the 4 idler/tensioners bearings where noisy and going out.

Amazingly the upper radiator hose had no clamp holding it to the radiator. The overflow line fitting broke off at the radiator when we touched it and a large vacume line bung broke off the rubber TB elbow.

SOB Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum