HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» New convert under way
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 EmptyToday at 9:51 am by kevin924kevin

» Project 944 for sale $8500 OBO
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 16, 2019 9:00 am by j7wolfe

» Corvette C6 Z06 Brake Caliper Adapters
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 6:34 pm by Hey_Allen

» LS engine & Trans "upfront", Mustang IRS in the "rear"
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2019 5:59 pm by sparkydog

» WTB: Trailing Arm Bushings
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2019 9:18 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» 82 924 with AUX Audi V8.
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2019 2:35 pm by Golten1986

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2019 5:13 am by superman22x

» Introduction/CA-SMOG '86 turbo
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 8:29 pm by pormgb

» 944-LT1 LS3 Conversion
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 7:49 pm by Ordie792002

» Lexus BBK Big Brake Kit
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 6:19 pm by Red944ls1

November 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 Empty Re: Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap

Post  matt889 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:29 am

what height is ur garage ?

matt889

Back to top Go down

Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 Empty Re: Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap

Post  Raymond-P on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Excited to see you're getting your project started. I hope some of my documentation will be helpful. There is so much good info in this forum and most folks are happy to help.

To answer your question, my garage has an 8 ft ceiling, but because of the garage door opener (and the car of course), I can only get the lift to about 9" above the first lock-off spot which gives me 41" under the car. To be safe, I'll be creating an intermediate lock-off spot. The 1st lock-off spot gives me 32" under the car which is not bad.

I too am waiting for the weather to be just a bit warmer so I can keep the garage door open... I need the room to work!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  LStuner on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:04 am

Kiltacular Jim wrote:Let me tell you, this is an extremely timely return to your project -- I'm placing my order with TPC any day now and picking the engine up next week. Hoping to start tear down once it warms up enough to be in the garage as long as I need to be every evening. Sub'd for sure!

Get ready to wait. (Hopefully not as long as me). I have been waiting 7 weeks for my Manifolds, Fuel Kit, VSS Kit, and Brake Master.

LStuner

Back to top Go down

Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 Empty Engine Swap Begins...Finally!!

Post  Raymond-P on Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:33 am

Not sure how 5 months just disappeared, but I have finally made some progress in the engine swap department.  Once I get the pics on my PC I'll begin sharing my engine removal adventure.  Hopefully in a day or so.  Stay tuned.

Below is the engine bay in stock trim...I guess it's my official "before" picture.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 Empty Preparing to Pull the 2.5

Post  Raymond-P on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:49 pm

With the car in the garage and settled on the MAXJAX, I began the process of removing everything that connected the engine to the chassis or drive train. I photo documented all the parts before disassembling (for posterity), and after a few nights of work, the engine bay was fairly clear on the top side.

On the bottom side, the exhaust system, starter, hydraulic clutch actuator, and torque tube must come off.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Breaking the bolts loose was a challenge as expected, but the 24” handle from my floor jack is a great equalizer (torque multiplier).  Some liquid wrench didn’t hurt, especially on the exhaust bolts.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The stock exhaust system sounds awesome and is for sale.  Contact me if interested.  

Supporting the engine with a lift unloads the torque tube and the cross-member bolts so they can be removed without the engine hitting the floor.  I had to make some adjustments to the lift points.

Initial placement of the engine hoist revealed some alignment issues...

Clearly the front bumper needed to come off.  Not a big deal.  Front cowl needed work so I took it off as well.

Still not exactly the correct alignment but close enough that with a few small tweaks the engine and cross-member will soon be lowered. (Suspect Yes... that's the LS under the purple blanket

Next post will be the empty engine bay!! Very Happy
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 3 Empty Extraction At Last!!

Post  Raymond-P on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:50 pm

The plan is to drop the engine and cross member out the bottom.  To do this, everything on the top side must be disconnected and there is a lot on a 944S.  The wiring harness is particularly difficult because the support connections are on the back of the engine and can’t be reached while it's in place.

I disconnected the harness from the ECM in the passenger foot well and pulled the connector through the firewall.  I disconnected as many harness support brackets on the engine as I could see and/or reach.  The remainder had to come off later.

Next, I set up the hoist for about 30 inches of drop.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I had already removed the steering rack and tie rod ends, and front sway bar, so next was the A-arm ball joints and removal of the A-arm rear mounting bolts (two each side).  

Then I loosened the cross-member mounting bolts on each side, carefully watching for movement.

I lowered the engine after the cross-member bolts were just about free, then I checked the torque tube to see how that was going.  Clearly I had a ways to go.

With the engine and cross-member free, continuing to lower the engine revealed the drive shaft was still holding up the back of the engine.  This condition over rotated the assembly and jammed the distributor into the radiator cavity.  

After raising the hoist back up to level the engine, a healthy pull forward was enough to clear the drive shaft.  Lowering was a piece of cake after that.  Having a helper would have been nice.

All set to roll the assembly out from under the car but I needed to raise the MAXJAX about 8 inches more to do it.

And the 2.5 is officially out (and for sale)!  It does need a new water pump, which is what started this whole adventure.

Below are the empty engine bay pictures that have been years in the making…

Lots of miscellaneous parts, hoses, and vacuum lines to remove and lots to clean up!!  Power brake booster coming off soon.  I’m in the market for a Ford Hydro boost and all the “fixins.”

Overall, little to no rust.  Yay!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  smkn951 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:17 am

awesome!!
I will be doing the same soon and your journey with this swap will greatly aid in mine.
thank you for documenting this.
BTW...Check out LKQ for hydroboost..I just picked one up used from a 2004 Mustang for $26.00, soon i will be buying the rebuild kit for it, i think it's less than 30.00.
keep the pictures and the adventure coming.
thank you

smkn951

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3