HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 18x10" Enkei wheels
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 pm by Sterling Doc

» Around the block
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 am by Red944ls1

» RX7 Caliper Swap
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 am by osx86ftw

» Cooling solutions please!
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 pm by yamamtx

» Holley intake, vacuum pump and cross member spacer
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 am by zeusrotty

» Sparkydog's Abnormal Build - 944 With L67 + Ford Stuff & CARB Legal
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm by sparkydog

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 am by haroldk

» Coolant / header tank cap
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:56 pm by Arthropraxis

» Cadillac ATS Brembo Front Brake Swap
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:43 pm by superman22x

» 83 944 Front Brake Calipers Left and Right different?
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:10 pm by mred2nice

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Anti Seize on LS1 Pilot Bearing Adapter?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anti Seize on LS1 Pilot Bearing Adapter?

Post  Raymond-P on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 pm

I'm installing my PB adapter in my LS1 (manual crank) and haven't found any discussion about prep before the install...other than "clean."  Since I'm new on the forum perhaps my search efforts weren't effective.  

Although it's not likely I'll ever replace the LS1 once it's in the Porsche, I've got a lot of time and $$ invested in the motor and someday it may end up back in a GM car.  Since the inside diameter of the adapter is nearly the same as the crank opening it would be extremely difficult to remove it and install a factory PB.

So....I'm thinking a little anti seize couldn't hurt unless there's a chance it could work its way out.

Any thoughts / advice is appreciated.  Very Happy 

Once I get the back of the motor assembled today I plan to start a Project Thread of my conversion adventure including tons of pics.
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Re: Anti Seize on LS1 Pilot Bearing Adapter?

Post  Techno Duck on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Installed mine dry initially and it backed out. Now that could very well have been install error on my part though I was fairly sure it was fully seated when I put it in. Anyhow it was reinstalled using Loctite green bearing retaining compound. Like you mentioned, I too don't plan on ever removing this engine.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks TD!  I'm been reading many of your threads.   You're experience on this is interesting...maybe I should be thinking LocTite instead of anti-seize?  Since the adapter is just mild steel, I could always drill and tap it and use a puller if necessary.

I have LocTite RED and I know it's permanent until heated...how does that compare to LocTite Green??

About the only way I would consider pulling the LS1 is if I wreck the car or I keep trashing transaxles.  I built the motor for 400+ HP and unfortunately don't have much self control when it comes to hole shots and speed shifting! I don't know many motor heads that do... Laughing
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  racertomtom on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:38 am

The adapter should be machined with an interference fit, meaning the OD is larger than the crankshaft bore ID. If it’s .001” or larger than the hole it won’t come out. Sometimes the crank ID will get damaged from bearing removal. Anti-seize may help in installing the adapter but most of it will be wiped off anyway. I always install it dry and rely on the press fit.

I don’t like to heat cranks. To remove a solid pilot bearing, pack the bushing with grease and use a punch the same diameter as the bushing ID and drive it out hydraulically, easier than a slide hammer.

Red Loctite is a permanent thread locker, green bearing mount is for repairing slightly damaged press fits and green retaining compound is for worse press fits.

racertomtom

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks!  I really appreciate your input.  The adapter is a TPC conversion piece and is machined correctly for an interference fit.  The crank bore is in like new condition so I'm installing the adapter dry as you suggested.

I already pulled the old GM PB using a rented slide hammer from AutoZone with a little help from a length of pipe which allowed me to use the lock nut to apply pressure to the PB housing thru the shaft of the slide hammer.  It took very little hammer force to move it out after that.  That was important to me because the main bearing seal can be damaged with too much pounding on the crank.

BTW...there is an oil plug in the back of the LS1 crank housing that precludes any kind of hydraulic pressure method (grease, bread, tissue paper) as you end up blowing the plug into the oil pan....so I am told.
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  racertomtom on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:26 pm

That's interesting! I didn't know the cranks were riffle drilled. Do you have to put sealer on the balancer bolt?

racertomtom

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:04 am

Well, I wouldn't say "rifle drilled" as the hole is only in the end journal.  I used an ARP balancer bolt so Ultra-lube and Loctite Red was the protocol. See the diagram below for the rear oil gallery plug in the back of the crank:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Below is a pic of the plug in my LS1:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have a bad feeling I'm not posting the pics correctly since only an icon is showing up in the Preview.  My apologies if so.  I'll get it worked out unless someone clues me in first.
If you see images then I figured it out...Amen!!

Last edited by Raymond-P on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Still learning how to post pics...)
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Mission Accomplished...

Post  Raymond-P on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:07 pm

After deciding to install the PB adapter dry, it turns out that the only interference I was experiencing was some initial misalignment.  My first effort left just some light marking on the adapter and I could remove it with out tools. The TPC adapter was machined to 1.705 in. dia. per spec. so my crank must be a little sloppy.

I decided to have the adapter knurled to get interference.  Turned out good but it was a bit difficult on the lathe considering the piece is so short...managed to get an extra 0.001
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just to be safe I followed TD's lead and added Loctite 609 Retaining Compound. ($18 at my local Fastenal)  Directions say must apply to both surfaces.

Looks good...recessed from the plane of the flywheel by 0.094" or so...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ready to install my SPEC clutch and pressure plate.  No guidance from SPEC however so I'm thinking 37 ft-lbs for the Allen Head PP bolts...I believe they're Grade 8.  Any thoughts??

Noticed my images all came in small this time compared to my previous post....I'm open for suggestions on how to increase their size a bit.
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Figured it out....  Here are two of the pics that needed to be bigger.  The caliper readings were 1.705" original and 1.706" with knurling.

0.094" or so...
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:17 pm

Did something similar on my pilot bearing adapter, a punch was used to peen a few spots to create an interference fit. This was Thom's idea (he posts on here occasionally).

Are you using ARP hardware for the pressure plate to flywheel bolts? I think i used around 50ft-lbs. Make sure you do it in a few passes.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:25 pm

Good deal! If the knurling wasn't possible the center punch was coming out. I posted a new thread with some input on the SPEC flywheel and PP torque specs. I appreciate the confirmation on 50+ ft-lbs. I notices some folks were using only 22 ft-lbs and I was getting really confused. So many options out there that's for sure.
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top