944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories

5 posters

Go down

Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories Empty Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories

Post  xschop Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:05 am

Allright here's my solution to this problem...
To get the LS Intake on the 4.8/5.3/6.0 motors, I ran into the problem of the water snout on the truck motor sticking up and interfering with the throttle body. No big deal, I get the C5 Corvette water pump and move on because the water snout sticks straight out and clears the throttle.
After sticking on the C5 pump here's what I ran into. The C5 Water pump drive-bell sets too far back towards the block, not allowing the Serpentine belt to ride properly.....

C5 pump left------Truck Pump Right

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

5/8" Billet spacers added to C5 Corvette pump corrects the Serpentine belt problem

Did a mock-up on the CNC using the gaskets and C5 pump as a template....and decided to give them a stronger backbone near the heads....

1st time's a charm....and adds some shine....

But most importantly...the serpentine belt aligns and I don't have to buy F-Body/Corvette accessories...
Very Happy
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories Empty Re: Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories

Post  robstah Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Rob, is that the only bit stopping us from running the truck accessories?

robstah

Back to top Go down

Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories Empty Re: Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories

Post  xschop Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:12 pm

That and a passenger's side alternator bracket which I already posted dims for.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:57 am

man, its always billet with you Laughing could you get away with aluminum there?
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories Empty Fugly alloy

Post  xschop Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:12 am

Regular sheet aluminum will corrode quickly, even worse under the heat cycling of the engine. t-6061 is my favorite alloy. It machines beautifully and is very resistant to oxidation. You can also weld it. There is a stronger alloy than 6061, but 1.5 times the cost and it is not weld friendly and doesn't shine like the t-6061, it has more copper and has a faint yellowish tinge to it.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:21 pm

ah ok, I havent done half cell reactions in awhile but be careful of dissimilar metals, aluminum will act as a cathode in a potable water solution, esp when the surface area of the anode is small. you are using noncunductive gaskets though so my concerns arent valid lol... the bolt through the assembly may provide that connection though.
link:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories Empty Galvan

Post  xschop Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Dissimilar metals touching go through a slow Galvanic reaction corroding both parties. That's why you should use antiseize compound on steel fasteners in alloy or brass. I like the silver antiseize compund from NAPA the best because It can be used on header bolts because of the High temp resistance it provides. I build a motorcycle transmission out of the 6061 and it has a ground wire connected to it. Have had years on it without oxidation even. Where you would be really concerned is if the alloy part had current running thru it like you say, then you may see some wasting. One of my degrees is in Chemistry and I did do alot of metal wasting studies (albeit mostly copper) for an industrial water treatment plant where I once worked.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:40 pm

Laughing you win then, I was just thinking of a GRM threads where dudes were talking about putting a sacrificial anode in there to keep their radiators from corroding everything.
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Aluminum radiators do not have the additives of the billet alloys for corrosion resistance.The problem with radiators is the flow of water does create it's own electrical charge however small. If you leave antifreeze (ethylene glycol) in your system too long, it starts creating some nasty acids that speed up the aluminum oxidation. You can actually check the pH of your coolant and determine if it needs to be changed.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:13 am

Look what Tehone came across.......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Bypassing the F-body/Corvette accessories Empty L92 motor for my porschalade

Post  944convert Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:03 pm

I knew I needed the L99 w/p (the Camaro w/automatic) for the L92 engine with VVT...and I will need to use .75" spacers on the F-body alt & p/s brackets.

Now I guess I'll need the L99 a/c bracket instead of the F-bodys.

I'll post the part numbers for the a/c and w/p parts when I get them...unless someone already has done this.

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:28 pm

If you aren't gonna run a PS pump, then this WP and the F-body Alt bracket can be spaced off the Driver's head also with 3/4" spacers and the 948 assesories are a done deal Very Happy

I opened the hood and checked. That port angle will clear the cable throttle nicely. A longer radiator hose can be found easy enough.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:16 am

I think I found the part number for the 2010 Camaro W/P can anyone confirm: 19207665

I went to GM PartsDirect and they gave me this number but could not confirm if it was the correct one that I was looking for. Seems that this pump is an elusive part being so new I can't find it in any car parts store.

Always looking for the best bang for the buck as I am sure everyone is looking for too. Just can't find an open door.

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Rock Auto has it. Same # IIRC

EDIT: Ebay link is cheapest so far. I bought my C5 pump for $125 shipped IIRC and had to go thru the trouble to make those WP spacers. Wish this pump were available last year. It is nice that the PS lines and some various electrical wires can be run behind the truck offset as well, not to mention again that the truck parts are cheap when it comes time to replace the alt and rebuild the 944 PS pump ($20 kit)
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down