944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Similar topics
Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project

+5
Lemming
frostyballs
wingdog
majormojo
99sierra4x4
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty Engine and Suspension Work

Post  frostyballs Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:37 am

I figure I'm over due for an update.  My second attempt at rebuilding the 5.3 has gone better than the first.  I'm waiting on a couple new sensors from Summit, then I'll be fitting it in the car.  I've spent the last couple days swapping over the front hub, rotor, and calipers from the 86 turbo donor car to my 83 build.  The right side is all together, and the left will be finished today.  I've decided to keep the early steel lower control arms, due to the lower cup bushing being replaceable, unlike the later aluminum arm.

Here's the right front, with the little black 4 piston calipers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Putting the bottom end together.

Putting the cam in.

Left side lower control arm dis-assembly.

That's all for now.  Thanks for checking out the progress.

frostyballs

Back to top Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty Sale of Project

Post  frostyballs Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:56 am

Due to medical difficulties I'm considering selling the project. It will include both cars and the TPC conversion kit. I will be keeping the v8 and taking care of it separately. Please let me know if you have any interest and I will gladly provide any details. Thanks.

Mike
253-232-6155
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

frostyballs

Back to top Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty TPC mounts and spacers

Post  frostyballs Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:21 am

I am continuing to work on the car, despite listing it.  I'm on the fence, but feel like I might be able to keep going with it.  I've been working on the motor mounts and cross member spacers, courtesy of TPC. While removing the cross member for the first time, one of the larger M12 bolts broke off deep in the hole, it was rusted in pretty good. I've drilled out the hole with a left handed bit, but nothing came loose. My plan is the drill it back to stock size and then attempting to tap the hole.

I'm also finishing up pulling the turbo trans from my donor car.  The donor has a lot more corrosion than the build car, and it has been a serious PITA to get the transmission loose. My desire to have the tougher hear box keeps me going.

I'm pretty excited to test fit the 5.3... Just waiting on the new tap and die set.

frostyballs

Back to top Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty A bit more progress...

Post  frostyballs Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Today I mocked up the seats to weld the brackets in place some time in the future.  I also test fit the new engine on the TPC motor mounts, and painted a bit of the engine compartment.  Getting the spacers between the rails and the cross member wasn't fun.  I drilled and re-tapped the hole with the broken bolt and... success.  Everything is solid now.  One last thing, finally liberated the turbo trans from my donor car... a lot of corroded bolts... drilled and angle grinned the damn thing out.

It's amazing how much free time I have, since I'm not working right now.  I guess the car is filling the void for now, keeping me busy, and keeping my mind from wandering too far off course.  There isn't many other things as soothing and satisfying as spending a day in the shop.  Don't tell my wife... but I guess you wouldn't have too, I think she's already got that one figured out.

frostyballs

Back to top Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project

Post  Lemming Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:58 pm

Nice, keep going!
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty Details...

Post  frostyballs Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Getting into the weeds now.  I've got the new flywheel on the engine and I'm working on getting the turbo trans cleaned up.  I set the intake manifold on too, just to enjoy the view for a bit.  I'm digging into the braking system as well.  

I have the bias valve from the turbo car, to go with the little black calipers, but I'm not aware of the differences between the porsche master cylinder and the suggested wilwood 260-8794.  I'm considering fabricating my own plate to mount the factory master cylinder without the brake booster, but in the same location.  It seems like the diameter is about the same as the wilwood model, and the brake lines don't connect on the bottom, eliminating some of the challenges with heating by the exhaust manifold.  It feels like I must be missing something, why don't people run it this way?

frostyballs

Back to top Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty Clutch, Torque Tube, MS Plate

Post  frostyballs Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:19 am

Here's the latest updates... The clutch and torque tube are on.  The splines on the drive shaft had some trouble going into the splines on the clutch disc (from TPC).  Fortunately, after several hours of struggling, I noticed that the engine mounts weren't sitting symmetrically.  The left mount was all the way to the rear of it's adjustment range and was causing the entire engine to sit at an angle in the engine bay.  After loosening, prying, and cursing a little, everything was squared up and the shaft went into the disc without complication.

I'm also having my father fabricate a master cylinder to firewall adapter plate out of 1/4 inch aluminum.  I'll be reusing the factory master cylinder with the 86 turbo biasing valve to accommodate the 4 piston calipers.

frostyballs

Back to top Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty Fabrication and Shipping

Post  frostyballs Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:14 am

I'm going to try and take the car with me when I move back to the west coast... unless a reasonable offer comes around.  With this in mind, I've taken to trying to prepare the car for shipping by getting the hatch, doors, hood, and glass back on it.  I've got a new windshield going on it on Monday, for a bit less than $300, and I managed to jump the window motors with an extra battery I had lying around in order to get them closed.

Also making progress on several other fronts.  I received the adapter plate which my dad made for the brake master cylinder.  It looks like it's going to be a good fit, and should cant the MS away from the driver's side head, to give a little more room.  Now I need to track down some hardware to get everything bolted up.

I ordered a piece of 1/2 inch aluminum stock to make an adapter plate, which will allow the 86 turbo transmission with intercooler to go on the 83 NA mounting points.  I had to order a few new cobalt drill bits in order to get the holes the right size.

The water pump spacing kit I ordered arrived yesterday and looks like it will be a good fit.  I still need to pickup an F-body water pump and belt tensioner.

Last, I mounted the Kwik alternator bracket, and it looks to be of reasonable quality.  Testing the hood clearance the setup should work well, the alternator sitting slightly lower than the ls1 intake throttle body, which just clears the hood.

frostyballs

Back to top Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty More Progress

Post  frostyballs Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:09 pm

Made some minor progress... ordered some 1/2 inch aluminum and made an adapter plate to mount the turbo trans onto the early 83 mounting points.  I drilled and tapped the bar stock to bolt the transmission straight onto it.

I also got a new windshield installed today.  Safelite was quick and painless, and it only cost $270.  It's nice to see the car coming together.

The brake master cylinder test fit went pretty well, looks like the adapter plate is going to work.  Now I have to drill the pedal arm in order to line things up and increase the leverage.

frostyballs

Back to top Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty Transmission Plate

Post  frostyballs Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:24 pm

Got the transmission bolted back in today, but not yet attached to the torque tube, and removed most of the spare tire well. I elected to go with the early transmission mounts, the passenger side only being attached by two bolts. This seemed more prudent than fabing the adapter plate that I was working on. I imagine that the mounts will be strong enough, as the turbo trans mount is only two fairly small, maybe 8 mm bolts. I also got an f-body water pump, belt tensioner, and MAF sensor in the mail, along with a painless performance wiring harness. All in all, it looks like the next few days should be fun Smile

frostyballs

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:04 am

I may be missing something but man I don't think the master cylinder is gonna be very happy without the 12 degree angle. Shocked

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  frostyballs Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:14 am

944-LT1 wrote:I may be missing something but man I don't think the master cylinder is gonna be very happy without the 12 degree angle. Shocked

Could you please explain... I'm all ears if I can learn something.

frostyballs

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:45 am

No problem. The stock master cylinder was bolted to what we call the cereal bowl which is just a mount that bolted to the firewall and gave the master cylinder a 12 degree angle with respect to the firewall. This allowed the brake pedal pushrod to push in-line with the master cylinder piston. Without the angle, the pushrod would enter the master cylinder at such an angle as to cause the piston to score the piston wall thus damaging the cylinder.

Heres a picture of the stock "Cereal Bowl" with a plate from RH bolted to it.

Heres a wedge I had made to bolt to the plate that replaced the cereal bowl.

Heres the setup out of the car to measure the stock angle.

Heres somebodys angled wedge in place.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty Transmission

Post  frostyballs Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:53 am

The transmission is on and the spare tire well is mostly removed.  I have yet to address the brake MS, but I will get to it.

frostyballs

Back to top Go down

Frosty's 83 944 LM7 Project - Page 2 Empty Sombody's wedges

Post  simon123 Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:36 am

Somebody's wedges...........mine.

Don't forget to reinforce the firewall!

simon123

Back to top Go down

Post  matt889 Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:12 pm

Why did you put a spacer on the waterpump? U plan on using a truck crank pulley?

matt889

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:23 am

Just a heads up, i spent much effort trying to retain the truck accessory spacing and it looks like you plan on doing the same (spacers on the water pump, not changing the crank pulley, etc). If you get a thicker than stock radiator, like one of the many 3" versions that will fit, you're going to have difficulty fitting a fan(s) that will provide any significant air flow. 

I ended up changing the accessory spacing to the f-body spacing. Buys you ~3/4" inch and is definitely the easiest way around the problem.

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next