HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» WTB: 944 Turbo Roller
Today at 9:14 am by rrracing1970

» Unfinished 1987 turbo ls2 conversion
Yesterday at 5:25 pm by rrracing1970

» ecotec swap
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:29 pm by sharkey

» What is VSS?
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:53 am by C4924S

» The famous Hydroboost issues....
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» RHD Conversion Issues...
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:24 pm by UK952

» Considering doing LS1 Swap
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:29 pm by hooplajr5

» Blue Alternator Wire
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:22 pm by Porsche951toLS3

» Team Moroney's LS1 944 Swap, In memory of Kyle Moroney.
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:16 am by bikerdude

» 87 944 Turbo LS conversion decision
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:33 am by Flashy2003

April 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Another 928 rescue & swap thread .. considering an L33

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Re: Another 928 rescue & swap thread .. considering an L33

Post  erioshi on Thu May 12, 2016 12:13 am

erioshi wrote:Decided to replace the LS1 OE pressure plate and Sachs (for Dodge) clutch disk with Spec Stage 1 kit. This car should be mild enough that a stage 1 kit will hold the power. I'm hoping I don't run into issues like some people seem to have with the the Spec stuff. If I do, I will probably go back to an LS1 pressure plate with a custom clutch disk made from the LS1 disk and Porsche splines. I did look into this before deciding to go Spec, but the cost was lower with the Spec kit.

Why all the over-thinking? It seems the Sachs clutch disk doesn't fit the splines as well as an OE Porsche disk. Here's a link with a picture of the difference: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'd rather not risk the potential of excess strain or wear to the Porsche parts because of a poor fit, replacements tend to be expensive.

As a follow-up, after looking closely at both the Sachs and the Spec clutch disks, the splines definitely have different shapes. The splines on the Spec clutch disk look to be the same as the OE Porsche spline design. I will do a final comparison when I have removed the original Porsche clutch disks.
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi on Tue May 17, 2016 3:12 am

I'm still sorting out the issue of the cracked AC bosses.  While L33 engines are finally starting to show up in (relatively) local yards with enough quantity to offer some choices, L33 long & short blocks (instead of full engines) still seem to be pretty thin on the ground at reasonable pricing given the available mileage and/or condition.

My options seem to be having my block repaired or waiting for a deal on another lower mileage engine or long block.

If I chose the first option, then I'll have to strip the block bare to have it repaired, and the repair cost alone looks to be about $300 (give or take).  If I strip the block, then I'm into all the time, details and costs that go with putting things back into a bare block.  What I was hoping to avoid by getting a good used engine is needing machine work, honing, new rings, bearings (other than perhaps the cam), possibly pistons, etc.  If I end up having to strip the block for repairs, then most likely I'll end up rebuilding (I know me).  And if I rebuild, I'll end up balancing everything along with the other usual machine work and clean-up.

The "engine repair" slope is staring to feel very, very slippery...

If I chose the second option I can up clean the damage up on this block and use it for the 928 race car (no AC).  That does solve two problems, but adds both delay and cost to getting this car on the road.  And while I am looking forward to a running race car, my real goal for this summer was having my swap up and running.

Regardless of all that, I have decided to have the heads CNC ported.  Porting them adds some cost, but with the 799 heads, I can keep the original valves and still get a significant increase in flow.  Enough extra flow that larger valves only seem to be recommended on larger displacement engines or extreme 5.3 builds.  Since I've already purchased an aggressive cam and supporting hardware, doing the heads now seems to make sense.  PRC's Stage 1 LS6 port job is $750, which looks to be a reasonable compromise between cost and performance.  With a bit of luck, this upgrade might tip my build past the 400 whp mark.

As I try to edge my build towards an honest 400 whp, I'm really missing the extra horsepower that starting with a 5.7 would have given me.  I could have used a milder cam, less aggressive valve springs and possibly even skipped the head porting and still hit my 400 whp goal.  Given my 400 whp goal and the costs associated with replacing the truck accessories and intake system, starting with a real LS1 is really looking like it might have have been less expensive.

With the 928 race car our problem with horsepower is exactly opposite, we're hoping to avoid having too much power (basically anything over near stock HP) and pushing ourselves into an unlimited class.  We may find ourselves running with an intake restrictor just to limit power.
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi on Wed May 18, 2016 9:32 am

Just had a good deal on a very low mile L33 show up locally. I'll be picking it up either today or tomorrow, depending on when I can find time. This one will be torn down and inspected asap, like I should have done with the last engine.
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi on Thu May 19, 2016 1:21 am

New engine is in the garage. Both this week and the weekend are going to be busy, so a proper inspection of the engine will need to wait until next week. Hopefully everything checks out. First impression everything is probably fine, but I'll need to dig in to be sure.
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum