HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» What header is everyone using?
Yesterday at 10:58 pm by 948

» Still pulling away like a freight train supercharged 944 LS1
Yesterday at 4:25 pm by acorad

» How to bleed LS1 w/ 951 radiator?
Yesterday at 12:51 pm by acorad

» Oil Pan question
Yesterday at 9:41 am by Rothaus

» 83' Porsche 944 LM7 Build
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:39 pm by Jchard944

» Throttle body question
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm by Rothaus

» Posche 924 Audi 4.2 V8 ABZ
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:25 am by Ralphhh

» New convert under way
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 am by kevin924kevin

» Magnuson supercharged car?
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:08 pm by Michael B.

» 1994 porsche 968 For Sale LT1- MAKE OFFER
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 pm by Dawgz83948

February 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

First Track Day at WGI

Go down

First Track Day at WGI

Post  money pit 951 on Fri May 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Finally got the car figured out enough to enjoy my first real track day with it. Had two days at my favorite track, Watkins Glen, this week with the Porsche club (Yes, they still let me in). I'm still breaking in the engine and have the shift point set conservatively and 3rd gear synco is gone - you'll hear the grinding in the video. But it was a great two days of running

http://youtu.be/DDh-17YpEcw

Impressions of the car - the torque is awesome! Doesn't matter where you are, it just goes. I had a hard time feeling the extra weight in the nose. I need to soften the front to give it a little more grip, but the car still has all the 944's nice characteristics.
The reaction from the other cars is priceless. Many of the new cars just don't understand why they can't shake a 944. Off the track, people can't believe the engine fits and that it's so drivable.

Still some work to do and came back with a ripped CV joint. Maybe time to upgrade...
money pit 951

Back to top Go down

Re: First Track Day at WGI

Post  Techno Duck on Sat May 10, 2014 7:28 am

Signed up for my first event since the LSx swap at Lime Rock in mid June. Really excited, but a bit nervous also.

What type of power brakes are you running? One of my biggest concerns is how the Ford hydroboost will perform.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Sun May 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Very nice  Very Happy  Car sounds great. What did you think of the brakes?
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  money pit 951 on Sun May 11, 2014 9:20 pm

I'm running a different brake setup than most. Originally the car didn't have a power steering pump so hydroboost wasn't really an option. Instead, the car has two remote vacuum brake boosters (one for front and one for rear circuits) that function much like the standard vacuum assist units. They are a little strange at low braking or tapping the brakes going into a corner. But when you stand on them at the end of a straight they're rock solid.

The biggest thing to factor in is the car is moving much faster with the LS engines. Not only a brake points moved, but the amount of energy that the brakes need to dissipate going up substantially also. Picking a good pad and giving the brakes as much cooling air as possible is key. Came back from one session with the brakes smoking.
money pit 951

Back to top Go down

Post  money pit 951 on Sun May 11, 2014 9:22 pm

Techno Duck wrote:Signed up for my first event since the LSx swap at Lime Rock in mid June. Really excited, but a bit nervous also.

What type of power brakes are you running? One of my biggest concerns is how the Ford hydroboost will perform.

What group are you running LR with? Maybe I can join you guys if timing is right.
money pit 951

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Mon May 12, 2014 12:55 am

The event is wih the Metro NY PCA for June 13-14. Sign up quick on clubregistration.net, it fills up quick.

I initially signed up for both days but decided to only do Saturday just incase I had any issues with the car. I've done a few auto-x's with it, but this will be the first track day.

A lot needs to be done to get the car ready.. Have to figure of shifting issues, fix some oil leaks and get a new windshield. If it's not ready to go I'll be using my E36 instead.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Mon May 12, 2014 7:25 am

money pit 951 wrote:I'm running a different brake setup than most.

Ok, I thought you had put the integra r's on your car. The boost system sounds interesting, is it documented on this site?
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Mon May 12, 2014 8:47 am

Don't worry about the brakes Techno. I've had that system on my car since the beginning and have had no issues with it on the track. You have the Turn 1 pump, a PS cooler and an adjustable rear brake proportioning valve right?

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  money pit 951 on Mon May 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Lemming wrote:
money pit 951 wrote:I'm running a different brake setup than most.  

Ok, I thought you had put the integra r's on your car.  The boost system sounds interesting, is it documented on this site?

Current brakes are the 944 turbo S / MO30 setup. Will be changing over to the Wilwood 6R/330mm disk setup once the craziness of life affords me a break
money pit 951

Back to top Go down

Post  money pit 951 on Mon May 12, 2014 3:59 pm

docwyte wrote:Don't worry about the brakes Techno.  I've had that system on my car since the beginning and have had no issues with it on the track.  You have the Turn 1 pump, a PS cooler and an adjustable rear brake proportioning valve right?

Techno - Agreed, just get the car out there and run. Sign up for both days and I bet you'll be fine. Besides, the drive out warrants two days as well as the new cute bar tender at Seneca Lodge!  Very Happy  Spare brake fluid and pads are a must anyways at the glen but don't see why you couldn't do two days.

What's in your setup now?
money pit 951

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Mon May 12, 2014 6:46 pm

I am also running the Turbo S setup for calipers. Track pads in the front also, need to replace the rears but not sure what ill get yet. Also have the 968 cooling scoops; previously i never had problems with brake fade once i stepped up to track pads so i dont expect any issues. Spare pads and fluid are always in my spares box though.

The rest is a Turn 1 PS pump, Ford Hydroboost, Tilton rear bias valve and a PS cooler.

I am signed up for the 13th only now. Decided to just do the one day; this is basically going to be the true shakedown on the car. Two auto-x's, 4x dyno pulls, 200+ mile road trip to the Hershey swap meet and about 1500 total miles on it and i still dont fully trust the car yet! Just a little paranoid!  Laughing

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Tue May 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Techno Duck wrote:I am also running the Turbo S setup for calipers. Track pads in the front also, need to replace the rears but not sure what ill get yet. Also have the 968 cooling scoops; previously i never had problems with brake fade once i stepped up to track pads so i dont expect any issues.

The turbo S and calipers were not up to snuff for my race application (DTC 70's and Motul 660 or 600). I kept cooking the fluid every session, even with cooling ducts. I had to bleed just about every session. Now with the wilwoods, I've gone 2 and 3 weekends without bleeding.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Tue May 13, 2014 5:11 pm

I did ok with the Turbo S brakes, with cooling ducts, but the Big Reds with 965 rotors are much better. I was cooking the Turbo S rotors in 1 season, the 965 rotors last two seasons...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  money pit 951 on Wed May 14, 2014 9:26 am

Agreed on the turbo S brakes. They're a great upgrade for the intermediate track go'er, but once you really start adding the speed and laying on the brakes, they don't take the heat.
All that said, it was a revolution changing to Castrol SRF fluid. Bleeding the brakes became a once every 5 track day event instead of every day.
I'm looking forward to the Wilwoods - for the slight performance change but also the cheap pads!
money pit 951

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Wed May 14, 2014 6:32 pm

I bought a bottle of SRF, but have not tried it yet, still using Motul 600 (better wet temp than motul 660).
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  mr965 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:57 pm

Lemming, is your radiator doing the job?

mr965

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum