HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 18x10" Enkei wheels
Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:59 pm by Sterling Doc

» Around the block
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:46 pm by Red944ls1

» RX7 Caliper Swap
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 am by osx86ftw

» Cooling solutions please!
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:15 pm by yamamtx

» Holley intake, vacuum pump and cross member spacer
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:33 am by zeusrotty

» Sparkydog's Abnormal Build - 944 With L67 + Ford Stuff & CARB Legal
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:42 pm by sparkydog

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 am by haroldk

» Coolant / header tank cap
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 pm by Arthropraxis

» Cadillac ATS Brembo Front Brake Swap
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 pm by superman22x

» 83 944 Front Brake Calipers Left and Right different?
Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:10 pm by mred2nice

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Oil Pan, Headers, Hydroboost, LS1, & more!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oil Pan, Headers, Hydroboost, LS1, & more!!

Post  Lets_go on Tue May 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Originally I had bought a 1984 to do the swap but while searching for motors I found a 1985.5 already done for only 8K.  It had a Turbo nose, AOR LSD tranny, LS1, turbo twist wheels, how bad could it be?!  The guy said all it needed was a paint job and it’s ready to be a daily driver…. so he said.  I got it home, all excited and noticed it started to leak oil (the saga is under the General Mechanical).   After some troubleshooting, I narrowed it down to the oil plan.  While down there I noticed the oil pan was resting on the cross member, no bueno. I called up TPC to get some parts.   I figure while I have the crossmember out I might as well just finish a bunch of stuff.  So here is my plan of attack.  While I'm changing out the oil pan, I'm replacing the motor mounts to have it stop resting on the cross member.  I’ll be getting the TPC hydroboost setup, as well and putting back power steering since I already have a pump, which means i’ll have a manual rack for sale, ahem.   I have to make it wife friendly because that was the deal, I get the car, but she gets to drive it too.  Also the headers have some rust so I’m going to pull those and send them to get ceramic coated.  My oil pan and motor mounts are in transit as of right now (6 May 2014) so I figured I’ll document my progress here.  I know someone out there is thinking “I have no idea what I’m doing, can I do this stuff?”.  That’s the boat I’m in so hopefully these little project can help someone get an idea what it looks like when a novice takes a stab at something like this.  Eric suggested I get a engine support bar, so I won’t have to pull the motor.  I’m just wondering where I can put the chains if I'm pulling the headers.  Well here are some pics!  Everyone loves pics!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Lets_go on Tue May 06, 2014 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixin' Pics)

Lets_go

Back to top Go down

Re: Oil Pan, Headers, Hydroboost, LS1, & more!!

Post  Psychoideas on Tue May 13, 2014 6:38 pm

Great Plan, keep us posted!!!!
Psychoideas

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty on Wed May 14, 2014 4:07 am

Tpc has a hydroboost kit?

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  Lets_go on Wed May 14, 2014 4:21 pm

So here's where I'm at.  I got the engine supported by the headers with an engine support bar.  I pulled off the RH oil pan and was going to install the TPC oil pan and while i put in the gasket and torqued down the bolts to the 18 lbs, the bolts kept on spinning.   I ordered the Helicoil kit off amazon so that should be in today.  I really hope that goes well because stripped anything on the engine block freaks me out.  I'm debating if I should put on the gasket dry like GM suggests or RTV it all around.  Seems like a lot of people have good luck with the dry install.  

While waiting for the kit I decided, i might as well put on the  motor mount to the engine block.  I attempted to take off the Hex bolts that hold the aluminum plate from RH and they were stuck on good.  According to Eric aluminum and the metal could have rusted.  He suggested i try to heat it up with a propane flame but since the oil pan is off (waiting for the helicoils) I figure that wouldn't be a bright idea.  Also the headers are in the way of one of the bolts so getting any type of impact action on that  bolt is nearly impossible.  I may be stuck with the RH mounting system.  The worst would be to strip the bolts because then i'd be even in a bigger amount of suck.  I'm going to try again tonight if no luck I may have to send back the motor mounts.   

Lets_go

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty on Wed May 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Why wouldn't you just heat it up? Grab a piece of metal to guard against the heat if you are that worried about it... Shouldn't be a big deal either way. Or hit the bolts with some pb blaster... ORRRRRRR just take the header off. I'm telling you this because those motor mounts are absolute garbage. I took mine off and they were separated and not even working. Complete trash.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  Lets_go on Wed May 14, 2014 6:00 pm

The motor is being held up by the headers, so taking off the header isn't an option. Once I get the oil pan on, i'll see if hitting it with heat and Liquid Wrench will allow me to get it off with a normal socket wrench. Just not much clearance between the header and the top of the hex bolt.

Lets_go

Back to top Go down

Post  Halfkiddio on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:33 pm

How is this going? And I am also interested in finding out if TPC has a hydroboost kit now. If they do I would be very interested.

Halfkiddio

Back to top Go down

Post  Lets_go on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Here's an update for the build. I fixed the oil leaking problem!! Yay! I ended up having to replace the oil pan and it seems the previous owner didn't do such a hot job with screwing in the oil pan which required me to retap pretty much all the screws. In the end no more leaks. Well except where the bolt meets the oil plan but thats just an easy remedy, crush washer. I just won't do it till I change oil next.

I did get the hydro boost kit in so i have a box full of shiny new parts. Only problem, is i got a bigger problem. Overheating. I thought it would be an easy fix, change out the relay but no luck. Only one fan was spinning but i fixed, that. A short in the thermoswitch. Now both fans spin, but still overheats. I've tried everything from burping and the thermostat works. Only thing left i can think of is the water pump. Which now i'm thinking I might as well just pull the motor and go through everything. I figure if i pull the motor I can go through everything with a fine tooth comb and make sure everything is done the way I want it. Besides the headers are rusted so here is a good time to get them blasted and recoated.

So much for buying an already done swap. I'm so not looking forward to the electrical work.

Lets_go

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Don't pull it yet! Usually over heating is related to trapped air in the system. Have you pulled the steam vent line on the drivers side head to make sure there is water coming out there? also you may have to pull the upper radiator hose and fill it up as well. It is really hard to get all the air out if you just rely on the tank to burp it out

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lets_go on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:10 pm

To try to fill and burp it, I put my car on as high of an incline as i could get it. I had to use a step ladder to get to the front. Then I removed the upper hose on the radiator and filled it that way till water started to pour out of the radiator. As for the steam vent line i'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!

Lets_go

Back to top Go down

Post  948 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 pm

I may have missed this, but I will ask anyway..... What radiator are you using, what fan setup, and have you confirmed that the plumbing is correct/same as others LS swaps? Does it overheat when at speed. How do you know it is overheating? Before adding an additional 12+ cable to my fuse box my temp gauge would read about 50 degrees higher than actual.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lets_go on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:20 pm

I am using the 951 radiator and fan setup.  I'm fairly certain from pictures I've plumbed it right, however I've never seen another swap in real life.  I have been to muscle car shows to check out how they do and it looks fairly similar.  It heats up during idle, and when I pulled into the garage it would be bubbling out the expansion tank and the gauge was was reading really hot.

Also just to make sure i'm reading posts right, the fans are controlled by the PCM if the PCM is connected to the factory relay. The PCM gets it's temp reading from the sensor in the front of the driver side head. Which makes the thermoswitch unused correct?

Last edited by Lets_go on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)

Lets_go

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:31 pm

If its bubbling out the reservoir and your sure all the air is out; you may have a blown headgasket.
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Lets_go on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:12 pm

I was thinking about the gasket as well, however when I changed out the oil pan it was pretty clean in there.  I would imagine if it were the gasket it would be even slightly foamy.

I checked the steam valve and it's all clear. I think it's the steam vent line. There is a hose that comes out of the top of the head and goes under the intake and feeds into the resovior. If so then it seems a little rusty though, but still clear of water.

Last edited by Lets_go on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : explination)

Lets_go

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:48 pm

what part of the tank does the steam vent go to?

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  948 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:41 pm

1+ on what Admin said....
Also, a bad cap could cause these types of problems, get a new one.
Does your reservoir drain, the front lower nipple, go to the DS or PS of the radiator?

Back to top Go down

Post  Lets_go on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:01 am

In the last picture i posted you can see the steam vent line go into the expansion tank.  

After running my car yesterday I noticed my fans weren't kicking in as the car grew hotter.  I tested my fans and relay via the methods on clarks-garage to make sure the fans run and they are always on after my car gets really hot and i shut the car off so i assumed they work.  I think that's my problem.  I assumed.  I don't know how the previous owner wired the PCM as in if they wired it directly to the relay or the thermostat switch.  So I think i'm going cut the wire loom and follow the green and blue wires from the PCM and see where it leads.  In other posts Admin says to hook them up to the factory 2 speed relay.  And that should control the fans.  I just don't know where or what pins to hook that up to.  If i can't figure that out i'll just wire new relays so i don't have to deal with the stock porsche relays as Spence did in this post. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Lets_go

Back to top Go down

Post  Lets_go on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:42 am

Rebuilding the fan relay circuit was definitely the way to go. I also sent my computer out to TPC so they could reprogram my Pin 42 (my computer came from a 04 GTO). I had to install a wire from Pin 42 in order to wire it to my relays. In any case both fans now come on and the motor runs nice and cool.

Lets_go

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top