HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 1986 Porsche 944 NA LS1 swap start
Yesterday at 9:37 am by vapistol

» WHERE to put ECM?
Yesterday at 9:23 am by vapistol

» Early offset phone dial
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 am by GarethW

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:25 am by chrenan

» Oil Cooler Adapter Not Working?
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 pm by sharkey

» 1987 944S 3800 L67 Turbo...in progress
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm by Sirayden

» C6 Z06 Brakes on my 944
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 am by Schuepbach

» sbc swap in a 1981 924
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 pm by sharkey

» JP's LS1 Conversion
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm by 924sbc406

» Cayenne Front and Rear Brakes on 944
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:15 pm by superman22x

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Oil in the intake manifold and throttle body

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oil in the intake manifold and throttle body

Post  acorad on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 am

AOS's have been used on engines for decades. The Boxter, for example, uses an Air Oil Separator. It pulls the air/oil vapor through a diaphragm, which is basically a fine screen/mesh, kinda like a plastic cloth. The diaphragm sort of distills the oil from the air/oil vapor mist and condenses/liquifies it. I don't know how efficient it is.

There are issues with the Boxter AOS failing with age, and I don't know how much vacuum is necessary to make it work, and they have also used AOS's in aviation for decades, so maybe there are off-the-shelf AOS designs that could be useful.
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:38 am

docwyte wrote:Right now my setup is LS6 Valley Cover, with the Elite Engineering catch can, I'm also venting off both ports on the passenger head, heading into the catch can, then PCV, then one port just past the air filter and another into the intake manifold.

The local CMC LS engine builder has suggested that I block the ports on the valve cover, just vent off the LS6 valley cover and block the other port just past my air filter.  So go from the LS6 valley cover to the catch can, then to the PCV valve, then into the intake manifold...
Worth a try, let me know if it works.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:39 am

xschop wrote:Hey Tim, on the 5.3 swap I used a PCV1009 valve that fixed any oil consumption. On my LS1 I simply added one to each valve cover vented to atm. I followed what my friend did on his C5 which fixed his oil consumption.
Rob, IIRC you are not using an LS6 valley cover and therefore the PCV valves to the cover should help. Doc and I are both running the cover with the integrated PCV. I actually bought a second pcv and put in in line between the valley cover and catch can, but his caused me to blow oil out the dipstick.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  money pit 951 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:24 pm

To answer what people are saying about the air oil separator, when I opened up the valve covers I stuffed some stainless steel wool in an attempt to catch the oil and keep it in the valve covers. Don't know how much it's doing because it's a small amount, but figured it couldn't hurt.

Here is the catch can I'm using. It's installed in front of the pass front wheel. It has two AN10 fittings, an internal baffle, a little oil dipstick to see how much is in there, and plenty of venting. So far, not a drop in there.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

A little blurry from a camera phone and low light, but I think you can see the two hoses coming off the valve covers. Welded on the AN fitting to the valve covers, have a set of cheap AN10 to barb 90deg ends, and running rubber hose to the catch can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
money pit 951

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:12 am

Thanks MP.

So it appears that the valley cover goes to a catch can and then to the front of the intake manifold, correct? So the major difference between our setups is that you have two larger vent lines to atm.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  money pit 951 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:30 am

Yes on the routing of the valley pan vent. It's on my list of things to remove, but for now it stays and does very little.
money pit 951

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Here's a video of a Moroso A/O separator made with a clear body so you can see the oil as it collects during driving:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It looks like it works pretty darn good to me at WOT. It looks like the majority of the oil collects in the bottom of the PCV tubing like a little river, and that little river dumps into the separator's catch can instead of your intake.

During normal driving I don't see much happening.
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:01 am

So when I blocked off the valve cover vents and routed from the LS6 valley cover to the Elite Engineering catch can, then to the PCV valve into the intake manifold I now blow the dipstick out of the tube from positive crankcase pressure.

I'm doing a leakdown test next week just to make sure I don't have any ring damage, if that comes back good, I guess my next move is to link both valve cover vents together with a T fitting, then bring those into a seperate, second catch can that I mount as low as possible and vent it to atmosphere.

What do you guys think?

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:36 am

docwyte wrote:So when I blocked off the valve cover vents and routed from the LS6 valley cover to the Elite Engineering catch can, then to the PCV valve into the intake manifold I now blow the dipstick out of the tube from positive crankcase pressure.

I'm doing a leakdown test next week just to make sure I don't have any ring damage, if that comes back good, I guess my next move is to link both valve cover vents together with a T fitting, then bring those into a seperate, second catch can that I mount as low as possible and vent it to atmosphere.

What do you guys think?

That's essentially what I have done. I'll be on track on the 27th, will find out then if it works.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:41 am

Let me know if that works, I'm doing a leak down test on Tuesday. Hopefully that comes back fine, as I really don't want to have to pull the motor and get it rebuilt.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Doc. Which valley cover do you have? The 12577927 is the newer style and has an integral PCV. If you run it with an external PCV also, you'll blow out your dipstick. I used the older style 12568002 and run it with a PCV after the catch can.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Edit, found my invoice for it and it's the old style one, so I need the external pcv valve. I've got it hooked up after the catch can too.

Shoot, that would've been nice...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top