944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
ECU and Harness questions EmptyToday at 12:47 am by sharkey

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
ECU and Harness questions EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
ECU and Harness questions EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
ECU and Harness questions EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
ECU and Harness questions EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
ECU and Harness questions EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
ECU and Harness questions EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
ECU and Harness questions EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
ECU and Harness questions EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
ECU and Harness questions EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

ECU and Harness questions

+5
robstah
gt1scca
endrnet
Johnny Johnny
968gene
9 posters

Go down

ECU and Harness questions Empty ECU and Harness questions

Post  968gene Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:01 am

Is there a preferred ECU to run with the 5.3L conversion? Is there a preferred wire harness?
My understanding is that any of the LS1 or Vortec ECUs can be flashed to run the 5.3L. Is this true?
I also understand that the truck and car harnesses differ in that the injector plugs are different and the truck harness stays under the hood while the car harness places the ECU inside the passenger compartment.
Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Gene
968gene
968gene

Back to top Go down

ECU and Harness questions Empty Re: ECU and Harness questions

Post  Johnny Johnny Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:34 am

Just going and finishing up my wiring. It seems that most PCM's and harnesses CAN be used, however there are quite a few differences in the pinouts and wire colours. I've been emailing Brendan at lt1swap.com who has been helping me out. A few things to note:

- Earlier PCM connectors were blue and red, later are blue and green
- pinouts for sensor grounds change on an almost yearly basis
- connectors change often, so you will likely run across a set of wires that should connect to X, but the connector won't fit. It would be a good idea if we all saved our unused connectors and traded them when possible Idea (when cutting off a connector, leave enough wire on the end so that it can be spliced at a later date)
- Buy a couple rolls of painters tape - it's great for ID'ing wires/connectors, and used as temporary tape for bundling wires.
- Be methodical. Trace and mark individual wires from their beginning to end. Re-check. Then remove it from the PCM connector or fuseblock connector entirely. Throw it all in a bag and keep everything - just in case.

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post  endrnet Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:26 am

Following this one. The salvage yard where I intend to buy a L33 doesn't give up the computers with them. I'd prefer to get the computer that was running the motor so I don't have much to modify except maybe the injectors for the corvette intake, but we'll see if they play ball.
endrnet
endrnet

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:38 am

If your swapping the intake and/or injectors, you'll definitely want to re-tune. Also, if you're not running the rear O2 sensors, removing the VATS (anti-theft), etc., it's best to re-program them out of the PCM directly.

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post  endrnet Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:42 am

Johnny Johnny wrote:If your swapping the intake and/or injectors, you'll definitely want to re-tune. Also, if you're not running the rear O2 sensors, removing the VATS (anti-theft), etc., it's best to re-program them out of the PCM directly.

Well if I start with an L33, definitely have to swap the intake to clear the hood. I already have a C5 intake that came with fuel rails, injectors, and DBW TB for 150, I'm hoping to use that.

Will I damage the motor by running/testing it prior to tuning?
endrnet
endrnet

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:36 pm

No, it won't damage it, it just won't run well and may not start. I don't know if the truck and Vette DBW throttles are the same or generate/expect the same signals, so you might have some research to do there.

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post  endrnet Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:51 pm

I feel like I'm missing some books in the library. Any recommendations on a wiring "bible" or sources of detailed/raw information on these systems?
endrnet
endrnet

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:41 pm

LS1Tech.com [ LSX Info ]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

shbox.com [ LT1/4 Info ]

Pinouts galore!

cyclops

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  robstah Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:08 pm

endrnet wrote:
Johnny Johnny wrote:If your swapping the intake and/or injectors, you'll definitely want to re-tune. Also, if you're not running the rear O2 sensors, removing the VATS (anti-theft), etc., it's best to re-program them out of the PCM directly.

Well if I start with an L33, definitely have to swap the intake to clear the hood. I already have a C5 intake that came with fuel rails, injectors, and DBW TB for 150, I'm hoping to use that.

Will I damage the motor by running/testing it prior to tuning?

The throttle body and intake shouldn't matter too much as long as you are still running a MAF. The injectors probably aren't the same flow rating so your fueling will be off and probably end up running rich because of it. Either way, if you want the motor to last, you have to get it tuned to your current hardware.

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Brendan has been very helpful with my wiring work, and responds quickly.

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:35 pm

Brendan, did my first harness for me and did a nice job. If you don't want to mess with it send it to him or PM Greg, he might do it for you also.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Admin wrote:PM Greg, he might do it for you also...
I have ALL of the pinouts I could find @ LS1Tech ('98-'02, '01 5.3L, '04 6.0L, etc.) and am in the process of building a PLUG & PLAY [well, VSS will still need to be hard-wired...] harness for xschop.

I have been importing .xls files to compare pin configurations...DBW and Cable TB are different PCM and harnesses, and pinouts DO change slightly year to year. Why not keep the same pin locations, and only change (i.e. add or remove) circuits?

GM...

Anyway...
I can mod harnesses, and if someone wants to co-sponsor an EFILive or HPTuners software D/L, I'm game for tuning a few 'puters.

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:01 am

gt1scca wrote:...and pinouts DO change slightly year to year. Why not keep the same pin locations, and only change (i.e. add or remove) circuits?

GM...

Also note that when GM has changed a connector or port, that sometimes there is a period where either of the two can be used, I guess while they use up their remaining inventory of parts. For example, an <-'04 block heater port has 3 pins, an '05 could have either the 2 or 3 pin port, and an '06-> will have the 2 pin port. In this case, the wiring harness is also affected, due to the different number of wires/pins. This results in *some* wiring harness diagrams not matching exactly what you see on yours.

Just a heads-up.

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

ECU and Harness questions Empty VSS

Post  xschop Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:00 am

The VSS signal wire will be the last item on my list anyway. It is nice to know what connector(s) will be needed for a plug n play of that item too, but I won't be sure of wire length until the Signal bracket design is worked out.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Hey XS, not exact;y sure what your plans for the Speed sensor are but I plan on using the ABS sensor as i have been told you can program that into HPTuners, the benifit being no building a bracket you can use factory parts.

Mark

Marky522

Back to top Go down

ECU and Harness questions Empty VSS up front

Post  xschop Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:42 pm

Can be done but the sensor will take a beat-down unlike the rear axle set-up. To each his own
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:01 pm

Guess im not understanding how the ABS sensor setup will take more of a beating??? Its definatly a setup that I havent seen or heard of failing. I havent seen a rear axle setup i would trust more than the factory ABS setup.

Mark

Marky522

Back to top Go down

ECU and Harness questions Empty Beat down

Post  xschop Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Just saying any sensor on the front hub will take way more vibration than one on the rear axle by the transaxle.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:58 am

the ABS sensor is pretty well protected inside the hub, should be alright. I plan on using it as well, depending on what sort of electronic speedometer Im able to shoe horn into the mechanical speedos location. I plan on using megasquirt so there may or may not be provisions for some sort of signal manipulation, otherwise ill put a small analog or digital circuit to change the signal over.
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:29 am

Won't a special bracket need to be made to install the VSS sensor near the hub or are you talking about using the factory 944 abs sensor and changing the signal?
I'll leave the electronics up to you guys. Sounds like between you and Greg, many turds have been polished. Razz lol!
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:27 pm

Laughing yeah I should add a disclaimer to what Im doing, im going to use the stock ABS sensor since I have installed a later front suspension on the car, I lack the VSS signal that the later transmissions provide.. the abs sensor will put out a much higher frequency than is what is needed for VSS, so I would need to convert that signal into a different signal... or grind off some of the teeth on the hub Suspect
another way to get the vss signal on speedo cable only cars is a hall sensor thing that goes on the speedo cable, cop cars had these so that they could get speed data while moving, youd have to figure out what the pulse/mile is on it and reprogram the ECU to match... I switched out hubs so I canned the idea, I can look up some info if need be (I dont even know if the threads will match up)
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  endrnet Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:14 pm

Found a guy on ebay that's willing to preprogram a ecm for me to use with the L33 and C5 intake. Gave me either a $215 or $235 price for dbw or cable, respectively (including latest flash, custom programming to delete O2 sensors, theft, injectors, etc).

Maybe need a final tune later on, but it might be good enough for government work (place to start anyway).

Opinions?
endrnet
endrnet

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:45 pm

XSChop, I was referring to using the factory ABS stuff. In HPTuners (what i will be using) you can code for this using the ABS sensor the way it is, No modifications to it at all ( so i have been told)

Mark

Marky522

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:14 pm

More HPTuners info...

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum