944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am by gwistrup

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

» WANTED: 948 Conversion Manual
LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm by Elskeptico

» FS 1989 Transmission for 944
LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 10:02 am by 87roadracer

» Honda k24 swap
LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 6:00 am by 89EFhatch

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944

+4
UK952
Admin
XtaC
tscott
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 Empty LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944

Post  tscott Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:18 am

Hi

I've been reading about the conversion process, and using one of the fantastic kits available (eg, TPC) appears to bring the project closer to my level of mechanical ability (mainly pulling stripping rebuilding mini a-series engines), but when looking for information about right hand drive cars, I've mainly seen vague comments about it being more of a pain.

I assume the main/only difference between lhd and rhd 944 engine bays is the location of the steering shaft / steering gearbox.

If that is the case would I be right saying that the issues would relate to exhaust headers interfering with the shaft, and the oil pan (and perhaps oil pickup) interfering with the crossmember / steering gearbox (I have the manual rack) ?

Having headers customised might cost a little extra, but muffler shops are good at that, so I'm not particularly concerned.

I'd need to seek help if extra customisation of the oil-pan was required, but that's also something that can be budgeted in.

I haven't found any completed RHD conversions on here (I was trying to pm psychoideas, but my forum post count isn't high enough) Does anyone have any experience with an RHD conversion ?

Is the difficulty of the RHD conversion simply that it is less well understood than the LHD version, I'll be on my own with any rhd specific issues, or are there other fundamental problems to worry about ?

tscott

http://spinlock.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 Empty Re: LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944

Post  XtaC Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:12 am

Hi mate, I'm in the throes of getting the last bits from Eric at TPC to convert my RHD 88 951.

Eric has sold a couple of these kits for RHD cars to Aussies.

I think the steering shaft will be the only real hassle for the exhaust.

Either way, I'll put up a thread of my build.

XtaC

Back to top Go down

LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944 Empty Re: LS1 into RHD (Right Hand Drive) 944

Post  tscott Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:06 am

I'd love to see a build thread, I went and chatted to my automotive fabricator friend today, and when I showed him Eric's kit he said 'just get that, it's a great start and we can fiddle around with whatever doesn't quite fit'.

Did you mostly use parts from the kit ?

tscott

http://spinlock.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:52 am

Tscott,
I can do for you the same as I am doing for Xtac, I and sending him a few parts dis assembled so they can move things as needed to make them fit, also if i can get feed back from both of you , I can make the a kit more suitable for the wrong side of the road! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  UK952 Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:16 am

Another UKer here - I have been looking and thinking for a long time and want to actually do it this year! last couple of years haven't even made it to the forum!

My thoughts so far

The cross member is different we have an upwards loop above the steering shaft.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]

The modification to the sump on a LHD car when swapped to the other side is I think close to where the oil pick up pipe is inside the sump. I thought about a dry sump for more clearance but initial investigations seem to put the pipe connections in a similar area of the engine (by the steering shaft) We might be able to fit an oil tank in the wheel arch where the carbon canister is (passenger side) or there might not be enough space.

The starter will be very tight against the steering shaft. (In some pontiac fiero conversions they use a belhousing that puts the starter the other side of the bellhousing 'behind' the flywheel - I think from a pick up truck - this will probably need a different adaptor for the torque tube.

On the plus side our clutch fluid reservoir looks like it will be an advantage. (the US cars combine the clutch and brake reservoirs UK cars have the clutch resovoir on our drivers side and the brake servo in the same position as US cars)

happy to hear anyone else's progress! (Quarterflash  looks quite well advanced with an LT1 conversion in the UK)

Tony

PS also used to build and destroy Mini A-series engines!
UK952
UK952

Back to top Go down

Post  UK952 Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Exchanged mails with Quaterflash - apparently with the LT engine the starter clears the steering shaft and it is going together quite nicely!
Tony
UK952
UK952

Back to top Go down

Post  XtaC Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:46 am

I've been making some progress recently.

Here are some pics of the test fitting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

XtaC

Back to top Go down

Post  UK952 Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Looking good!
UK952
UK952

Back to top Go down

Post  chris_f Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:00 am

XtaC,

I'm in the planning phase of doing the same conversion using an L98 engine. Looking to use the TPC kit with some custom modifications to suit RHD. Have you made any more progress recently? Or perhaps even some advice for me at these early stages?

Cheers!

chris_f

Back to top Go down

Post  XtaC Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi mate, we were actually doing some more on this today.

I've struck an issue where the spiggot bearing carrier/adapter is protruding too far out of the back of the crankshaft. This meant that that tapered part of the spline on the input shaft of the torque tube was butted up hard against the spiggot bearing, while still leaving a gap of 10+mm between the mounting face of the torque tube, and the TPC billet adapter ring, on the bell housing.

We have worked out, to solve this, that about 12mm will need to come off of the crankshaft side of the carrier, which should still leave plenty of engagement of the TT input shaft into the spiggot bearing. I'm going to get a mate of mine to turn me on up, out of nylon/plastic, so I can test it out for fitment.

Apart from that, the biggest issue is with the drivers side ( RHD car) exhaust manifold.  The standard Commodore ones don't fit (F body ones, I think, in yank speak), and with the starter motor, and steering shaft on the same side, there is next to zero room to run any decent pipes through.

Moving the starter to the Passenger side (different bell housing, mine is currently a C5 Vette one) would create a bit of room, but not enough for my liking.  I think I will make my own set of extractors, and have the drivers side exit/collect towards the front of the car, and wrap the exhaust pipe around the front of the engine, and have it exit on the passenger side. This will mean encroaching on some of the room for the passenger side extractor, but it looks like the best compromise.

No idea how tight it will be to the AC pump (F body accessory setup, standard Commodore), as I don't have one ATM.

I'm pretty sure I'll use the kit from icengineworks for the pipes.
Ill try to get some pics at a later date.

chris_fatseas wrote:XtaC,

I'm in the planning phase of doing the same conversion using an L98 engine. Looking to use the TPC kit with some custom modifications to suit RHD. Have you made any more progress recently? Or perhaps even some advice for me at these early stages?

Cheers!

XtaC

Back to top Go down

Post  chris_f Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks for the progress update and details on the exhaust manifold issue. It sounds like it could end up being quite complicated welding/fabrication wise? Hope you're able to nut it out - really looking forward to seeing some photos of your work and any future progress.

I wonder if TPC is interested in offering a complete right hand drive solution based on what you've done / are doing? I'm sure the AUS/UK market would come to life if there was a more bolt-in-ready kit for RHD cars.

I'd be happy to contribute information to make that happen when I get started on my conversion if extra information is needed. My donor car is a 1991 S2.

What state are you based in XtaC?

chris_f

Back to top Go down

Post  XtaC Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:05 pm

Hey mate, I'm from Maryborough in QLD.

The pipes will be a bit of a pain, but I think I can make it work.

There's a surprising amount of room to work with the V8 in there .... its probably easier than the turbo 4!

Cheers,

Lee.

chris_fatseas wrote:Thanks for the progress update and details on the exhaust manifold issue. It sounds like it could end up being quite complicated welding/fabrication wise? Hope you're able to nut it out - really looking forward to seeing some photos of your work and any future progress.

I wonder if TPC is interested in offering a complete right hand drive solution based on what you've done / are doing? I'm sure the AUS/UK market would come to life if there was a more bolt-in-ready kit for RHD cars.

I'd be happy to contribute information to make that happen when I get started on my conversion if extra information is needed. My donor car is a 1991 S2.

What state are you based in XtaC?

XtaC

Back to top Go down

Post  chris_f Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Hey Lee, that's good news! I'll be doing my conversion in Landsborough later this year so not too far away really.. keep us updated

Cheers,
Chris

XtaC wrote:Hey mate, I'm from Maryborough in QLD.

The pipes will be a bit of a pain, but I think I can make it work.

There's a surprising amount of room to work with the V8 in there .... its probably easier than the turbo 4!

Cheers,

Lee.

chris_f

Back to top Go down

Post  chris_f Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:28 am

No idea how tight it will be to the AC pump (F body accessory setup, standard Commodore), as I don't have one ATM.

Lee, just mentioned this to my brother-in-law who's helping me with the conversion. He recently did a an ls1 swap i to a rodeo (colarado) and said the cadillac CTS-V AC pump and bracket fit very snug to the motor so if you do run into some issues itll be a better fit

chris_f

Back to top Go down

Post  XtaC Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Not to hijack your thread mate, but I got the driveline bolted up (TT and Trans), to get the motor sitting its proper angle.

The bonnet fits, but its tight!

XtaC

Back to top Go down

Post  leadfoot Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:05 am

I modified a set of stainless headers and made the collector bunch just in front of the steering shaft, it has about 10mm clearance to the steering shaft.
I'm working on a mounting plate for a hydroboost at the moment but can post some pics with it out of the car if you're interested.
cheers
Stu

leadfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  chris_f Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:03 am

Lee always great to see some progress being made Smile

Stu, let's see some photos! interested to see your solution with the header

chris_f

Back to top Go down

Post  leadfoot Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:54 am

Some shots of the manifold,
cut and re welded all the tubes, used 98% of what was on the original manifold,
steering shaft passes between starter and collector

last shot is the steel x member with mounts, the firewall side of the x member and pipe mounts have been reinforced with 3mm plate. The pipes are both inline with the mount plates.
cheers
Stu

leadfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  chris_f Mon May 05, 2014 1:21 am

looking good Stu..

what headers did you start with? They look similar to the hooker block huggers

chris_f

Back to top Go down

Post  leadfoot Tue May 13, 2014 12:42 am

Ebay jobbies, although they were equal length before i chopped it up... Just lucky I didnt have to do both sides, also came with short extensions that have o2 bungs in them.

leadfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  leadfoot Tue May 13, 2014 12:50 am

Also did my hydroboost setup a little differently too, have offset the firewall hole to the outside and will weld on another tang on the end off the brake crossover rod(rhd only) then run a bolt though both to pick up the clevis, still working on my epas and a firewall stiffening plate first but the mockup puts the m.c about 1 - 2" away from the strut tower.

leadfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Psychoideas Tue May 13, 2014 4:33 pm

leadfoot wrote:Also did my hydroboost setup a little differently too, have offset the firewall hole to the outside and will weld on another tang on the end off the brake crossover rod(rhd only) then run a bolt though both to pick up the clevis, still working on my epas and a firewall stiffening plate first but the mockup puts the m.c about 1 - 2" away from the strut tower.

You didn't by chance take any pics of this modified brake crossover rod?
And which hydroboost have you got? I have the Mustang one.

Cheers
Psychoideas
Psychoideas

Back to top Go down

Post  leadfoot Tue May 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Havent welded the tang yet, but it will be identical to the original just located at the end of the bar. Hopefully this will mean the coils dont have to be relocated...
Its the mustang unit too.

leadfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  leadfoot Tue May 13, 2014 11:20 pm

Will be away for the next month but can take some pics when I get back.
P.S
If theres any Aus members that have used the stock ls1 harness I need to identify a coup of wires on the white square connector, there is a light blue wire think it goes to pin 46 blue and the othe wires are light green and brown/blue stripe that go to their own sensor connection, any help on this would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers
Stu

leadfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Skidkid Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Hey Mate - any update on this? I'm looking at putting an LS2 into my 944 in the next few months.

Skidkid

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next