HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» RX7 Caliper Swap
Yesterday at 12:19 pm by osx86ftw

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:52 pm by chrenan

» Which turbo trans for my swap application?
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:10 pm by racertomtom

» Poly based strut mounts on exchange
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 pm by xschop

» 18x10" Enkei wheels
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 pm by Sterling Doc

» Around the block
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 am by Red944ls1

» Cooling solutions please!
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 pm by yamamtx

» Holley intake, vacuum pump and cross member spacer
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 am by zeusrotty

» Sparkydog's Abnormal Build - 944 With L67 + Ford Stuff & CARB Legal
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm by sparkydog

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 am by haroldk

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Help With V-8 Swap-Eveyone Who Has Done It Come Forward

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help With V-8 Swap-Eveyone Who Has Done It Come Forward

Post  Homeboy981 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:54 pm

I need help choosing which "Buy It Now" to pursue. Needed some specifics from the people who have "been there" and extricated their P-Car engine to put in a V-8…..

1). What MODEL and YEAR V-8 engine did you go with? What VEHICLE did it come out of and/or did you get the whole car/truck?
2). WHERE did you find it?
3). What did it COST - (just for the engine and conversion bits), not brakes and "extras"?
4). How much TIME did it take to do the swap?
5). How LONG to get it totally sorted?
6). Is everything FUNCTIONAL (loaded question) AFTERWARDS?
7). What would you do DIFFERENTLY/ANY ADVICE you can give that is not already posted?

I have read practically this entire Forum….my eyes are about to bleed! What a Face Does not matter which model P-car you have….just which V-8 and other ???s to help me change over FASTER and AVOID mistakes and downtime.

Sorry if this seems like stupid questions after you have posted most of your individual builds…but call me curious to find out which was the most popular engine, make, model, and mistakes made from those "in the know"!

Thank you in advance.
Homeboy981

Back to top Go down

Re: Help With V-8 Swap-Eveyone Who Has Done It Come Forward

Post  tkrame944 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:49 am

glad to help out a new member.

1- i went with a 2000 ls1 5.7l out of a corvette, i only bought the engine but if you could score a busted up vette that would be great to part out after.

2- craigslist, hard to do they are gone as soon as they arrive.

3- $2400 engine, then another roughly $3500 for everything to bolt it in and make it run.

4- took me 2 years, but thats with buying a car burnt up to the fire wall, restoring it, doing the conversion, being a full time student, and working solo.

5- taking everything step by step working on one component at a time left me with nearly nothing to sort out when it finally got running.

6- the only thing im left with right now that doesnt work yet is the head lights dont fold down after they go up. minor issue that im really just to lazy to fix right now.

7- idk if this is posted but buy the kit, dont try to work around it because its expensive you will just end up spending more and wasting lots of time.

tkrame944

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:33 am

Mine's an f-body LS1 that I got from these guys:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I installed it in a car already setup for 944 cup racing. The conversion kit and headers are from TPC. It took me 6 months for the engine conversion and another 6 months of sorting to get the car track worthy. I'm still tweaking things after a year of running it. It's absolutely wicked, passing all kinds of exotic machinery and getting tons of attention.

The full story is here:

Good luck.
Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Vorsche944 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:49 am

Just IMO but your request seems to be a convoluted approach. I would start with first defining what you want to build. We can tell you what we have done, but it was our build and there is a wide range of build designs, from tame daily driver to full outrace. Each would have its own set of parts and approaches. So where does your personal preferences fit it. It might be useful to define your requirements and then ask a more focused question on the aspects you want to know.

What I try and tell every new person looking at this swap, there are 6 primary cost categories.
1) Car
2) Engine
3) Kit
4) Other parts required, needed, wanted
5) Creeping elegance fund
6) Labor

Car, Kit and Engine are easiest to pin down, other parts and creeping elegance fund are much more personal preferences, access to used or desire for new parts, what came with engine and what did you learn and want to change 1/2 way through the conversion.

Hope this helps

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Vorsche944

http://www.944transformations.com

Back to top Go down

Post  962porsche on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:07 am

as vorsche stated ! he know the swaps very well .
i have done quight a few of them and no two have been the same .
my sefl i like to buy the hole car in salvage form then sell off what i don't need many time by doing that you will pay little or nothing for the parts you need .
the last one i did for a customer i pulled the parts off a 2005 salvage GTO and sold off the rest of the car .
as for kits to do the installs i like to build most every thing my self like motor mounts ,headers and things like that .
time wise the fastest i have done one is 2 weeks(about 60 hours ) to pull the 944 motor and put the new V8 motor in and get it running . that is not including doing the brakes and other crap .

but now here the thing about building a car your never really finished . you will always find some to make the stronger , faster and better .

962porsche

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:44 am

962porsche wrote:but now here the thing about building a car your never really finished . you will always find some to make the stronger , faster and better .
Ha!

Yep. As a friend of mine said when I asked him if he had finished his house remodel: "You never really finish, you just decide to stop."

Although I didn't build it, my car is a DD.

1) 2002 Camaro SS
2) GM Sports Salvage, San Jose, CA
3) $3K
4) ???
5) Still sorting. I have new TT bearings and a new clutch to install, my header to collector bolts keep coming loose, I'm replacing my valve stem seals (anyone have a valve spring compressor that fits under the brake MC?), etc.
6) Yes
7) Go with std GM clutch/FW/PP for a DD
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Homeboy981 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Props to Doc, @Rich L & @tkrame944! Keep the insights coming! I understand that my ???s may seem convoluted but I KNOW I want a reliable Camaro or Corvette engine in a little Boxster S. Different than a 928, 944, 962, etc. but it starts with the same process.

I am looking at making a "spirited daily driver" that I can take to the track. Wanted A/C since I live in Texas and MORE POWER! Around 350+ would be good. Got the P-car engine up to around 300 HP (from 255 HP stock) using every mod made, except turbo! Now I'm starting over with a clean slate..and an empty wallet!

Lots of good info out there that is hard to glean from miles of online posts!

Just wanted help to get started….being a noob and all. Not a noobie to 'twirling irons' or racing, however, just need the advice to fitting little bitty P-Cars with big blocks (not model specific info)! I have a bricked motor so thanks for helping solidify my resolve to get this done. I an see that "Buy It Now" button getting closer! @Vorsche944 - Don't understand "Creeping Elegance Fund" - can you explain?

Not sure I know ALL the parts required. There is NO way of knowing ALL the parts required…unless you have done it OR until you get in there! There is ALWAYS a compromise, that is where you guys come in….you have ALL BEEN under hood for a while!

@962porsche about 60 hours?? is what the mechanic quoted me on a split-case rebuild…that is FAST!!! I expected it to take 6 months - so I will be happy if it is a year! Budget was $5k, now it seems more like it will be $10k. I can see hanging out with you guys is going to be EXPENSIVE! Some of the work you have done is OVER THE TOP too! Thanks @acorad, good advice!

Thanks again for ALL the help!

Last edited by Homeboy981 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell)
Homeboy981

Back to top Go down

Reality check

Post  simon123 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:24 pm

For all the dreamers out there, this is the reality of the swap.
Original car price not included. Conversion to steel A arms not included.
5th Gear swap not included.

Note: If you use a Vette motor, none of the accessories or mounts can be used.

944 V8 Conversion KIT Sloan 1500  

ENGINE

1999 C5 Corvette LS1       Ebay 2300  
Oil Pump Pick up  Jegs 113  
LS1 Header Studs    Jegs 117 Body Accessories Ebay
Alternator        TBA
Compressor TBA
F Brackets                 Ebay          66  
PS Pump           Turn One 303  
PS Hose/Fittings   Turn One 32  
Harness/Computer Modification Sand & Street 375
Cable Throttle Body Sand & Street 150
Fuse block Sand & Street 125  
MAF 5 wire Sand & Street 58  
Throttle Cable Lokkar 69
Oil dipstick Lokkar 57  
Longer Plug Wires MSD 68  
Idler Pulleys x 2 NAPA 56  
Serp Belts  NAPA 41  
AC Hose crimping NAPA 15  
Cone Air Filter AAP 26  
Injector service WitchHunter 170  
Remote Oil Filter Sloan Kit
Flywheel/PP Exedy Ebay 313  
Bolts PP and Bellhousing 39
C5 Bellhousing Top Ebay 125  
Bottom Ebay 45  
Clutch 1” x 23 spline RH 250  
HTOB GM Sloan Kit
Mounts   Advance 2142 Sloan Kit

EXHAUST

Headers, RH+Jet RH 960  
Turbo Muffler Jegs 35
Resonators x 2 Jegs TBA TBA

Exhaust Welding Local 250

TRANSMISSION

Turbo LSD Transmission Ebay 750
Stronger drive shafts Xschop TBA TBA
CV Joint Bolts TBA TBA
Transmission Mount Xschop 150  
Torque Tube rebuild Constantine 655  

Starter MSD LS1 250  

BRAKES

Hydroboost 165  
AN Fittings and hose TBA TBA
Adaptors and pipes Misc 84
Lexus Calipers and Pads 383  
Boxster S Rotors 175  
Centering rings TPC
Firewall Stiffener 200  
RX7 Calipers 190  
Speed Bleeders 34  
Turbo Rear  Rotors 180  
Wheels, Cup 1 17" TBA TBA
Tires Falken Disc Tire 510  
Tire Mounting 84  

RADIATOR & AC

Griffin Radiator 1-26201-x 191  
Lower drain Jegs 27
Upper bleed Jegs 50  
Thermostat Housing Jegs 40  
Rad Cap AAP 7  
Upper/Lower Hoses AAP 24  
Heater vac valve 74781 Autozone 18  
AC Fittings Misc 75  

SUSPENSION

Shock Absorbers Front       Koni 8641-1414 Paragon 2911
Shock Absorbers Rear       Koni Paragon 240  
Springs   Weltmeister 915724 Paragon 131  
Strut covers and stops Paragon 105  
Rubber bushings Pelican 53  
Roll Bar brace KLA TBA TBA
Ball joints TBA TBA
Bump Steer blocks Xschop TBA TBA
Tie rod ends
Front strut brace KLA 150  
P Steering hose and fitting Braided Lines 62
Wheel Bearings DSNW 40  

Instruments

Oil P Sender VDO 36009
Water T Sender VDO 323421
VSS Sender Sloan 140  
Sensor adaptors Street Performance 31

Fuel
Uprated Fuel pump TBA
Fuel lines NAPA 45  
Fuel regulator TBA

TOTALS 13188

TBA means I cant find or remember what I paid.

Last edited by simon123 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Vette note.)

simon123

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Homeboy981 wrote:I understand that my ???s may seem convoluted but I KNOW I want a reliable Camaro or Corvette engine in a little Boxster S.
Interesting. Are LS1 swaps being done into the Cayman as well?
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Homeboy981 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:57 pm

acorad wrote:
Homeboy981 wrote:I understand that my ???s may seem convoluted but I KNOW I want a reliable Camaro or Corvette engine in a little Boxster S.
Interesting. Are LS1 swaps being done into the Cayman as well?
They should be, but none that I know of….for now! Twisted Evil 
Homeboy981

Back to top Go down

Post  Vorsche944 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Creeping Elegance fund!!!! Just change software to engineer, car fabricator, yourself.....

In software development, creeping elegance, related to creeping featurism and second-system effect, is the tendency of programmers to disproportionately emphasize elegance in software at the expense of other requirements such as functionality, shipping schedule, and usability.

Creeping elegance is also forced by customers and sales personnel in the last stages of software development. Often one comes up with "just another feature" before the delivery date, and the software developer is left with the hopeless case of prioritizing between delivery on time according to schedule or to fully satisfy customers and/or sales department.

For car guys, it usually occurs around HP, coolness factor, someone else got one better, need to win.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Vorsche944

http://www.944transformations.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Homeboy981 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:21 pm

simon123 wrote:For all the dreamers out there, this is the reality of the swap.

…..

TOTALS 13188
Hi @simon123,

This Reality is a Check I can write!

I have already dumped $23k into this car, $15k to buy it and another $8k in repairs/mods to go 15,000 miles and the Porsche engine still CROAKED! Sad POS

Since I will not be doing Suspension, Brakes, Transmission….etc. based on your ACTUAL EXPENSES this is REALLY GOOD NEWS! Very Happy  My other option is to part out or stick in another $8k for a USED Porsche engine (with IMS upgrade, gaskets, etc). Soooo, this turns out to be LESS EXPENSIVE than any other route!

I was thinking I would need to swap a Honda engine in there but I didn't want to say, "Wow! I couldda had a V8!"

So, thanks for elating some fears about the unknown costs - and I KNOW there WILL be some. I have never met a repair bill that didn't BUT at LEAST my right foot will be happy!

Thank you for the detailed list! I might actually be able to pay my mechanic in something more than beer money!
Homeboy981

Back to top Go down

Post  Homeboy981 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Vorsche944 wrote:Creeping Elegance fund!!!! = need to win.....
Now I got it!

My wife & I blew 30 grand on racing bikes for a couple seasons in a 3 state area! We had a nice writeup in one of the local newspapers and our picture with the bikes (the ONLY reason they included me was because SHE IS GOOD LOOKING). Oh, and a few $30 trophies.

That can be a tough fund to FUND!
Homeboy981

Back to top Go down

Post  962porsche on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:13 pm

you know i will have to say some times our check books are bigger than our heads !
i have built cars that when i was finished i was like well it's cool and a blast to drive but why did i just do that !
only to do at again and again .
case and point my 962 , my LS7 948 , my mazda AZ1 , my countach with a 50K built motor , my VW gti that i have 128K into , my mini 962 tube chassis car i made from a boxter S , i could keep going but the sad part is i don't sell them .
i just keep building them now i'm working on a 914 that the PO did a 914/6 clone to and blow the motor up . so i bought it at a good price thinking i would put a 993 motor i have in it . only to come across a built sbc 350 carbed motor at a swap meet and bought it on a whim now i'm installing that motor in the car .

as for a LS1 motor fitting in a boxter it should . the only problem i could see from the bare chassis i have here that i built my 962 boxter out of is the upper accessories like the AC compressure . but even if you have to notch the fire wall to make them fit it does not look like you would have to notch much maybe a 1/2 inch ?
962porsche

Back to top Go down

Post  962porsche on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:08 am

simon123 wrote:For all the dreamers out there, this is the reality of the swap.

Note: If you use a Vette motor, none of the accessories or mounts can be used.

944 V8 Conversion KIT Sloan 1500  

ENGINE

1999 C5 Corvette LS1       Ebay 2300  
Oil Pump Pick up  Jegs 113  
LS1 Header Studs    Jegs 117 Body Accessories Ebay
Alternator        TBA
Compressor TBA
F Brackets                 Ebay          66  
PS Pump           Turn One 303  
PS Hose/Fittings   Turn One 32  
Harness/Computer Modification Sand & Street 375
Cable Throttle Body Sand & Street 150
Fuse block Sand & Street 125  
MAF 5 wire Sand & Street 58  
Throttle Cable Lokkar 69
Oil dipstick Lokkar 57  
Longer Plug Wires MSD 68  
Idler Pulleys x 2 NAPA 56  
Serp Belts  NAPA 41  
AC Hose crimping NAPA 15  
Cone Air Filter AAP 26  
Injector service WitchHunter 170  
Remote Oil Filter Sloan Kit
Flywheel/PP Exedy Ebay 313  
Bolts PP and Bellhousing 39
C5 Bellhousing Top Ebay 125  
Bottom Ebay 45  
Clutch 1” x 23 spline RH 250  
HTOB GM Sloan Kit
Mounts   Advance 2142 Sloan Kit

EXHAUST

Headers, RH+Jet RH 960  
Turbo Muffler Jegs 35
Resonators x 2 Jegs TBA TBA

Exhaust Welding Local 250

TRANSMISSION

Turbo LSD Transmission Ebay 750
Stronger drive shafts Xschop TBA TBA
CV Joint Bolts TBA TBA
Transmission Mount Xschop 150  
Torque Tube rebuild Constantine 655  

Starter MSD LS1 250  

BRAKES

Hydroboost 165  
AN Fittings and hose TBA TBA
Adaptors and pipes Misc 84
Lexus Calipers and Pads 383  
Boxster S Rotors 175  
Centering rings TPC
Firewall Stiffener 200  
RX7 Calipers 190  
Speed Bleeders 34  
Turbo Rear  Rotors 180  
Wheels, Cup 1 17" TBA TBA
Tires Falken Disc Tire 510  
Tire Mounting 84  

RADIATOR & AC

Griffin Radiator 1-26201-x 191  
Lower drain Jegs 27
Upper bleed Jegs 50  
Thermostat Housing Jegs 40  
Rad Cap AAP 7  
Upper/Lower Hoses AAP 24  
Heater vac valve 74781 Autozone 18  
AC Fittings Misc 75  

SUSPENSION

Shock Absorbers Front       Koni 8641-1414 Paragon 2911
Shock Absorbers Rear       Koni Paragon 240  
Springs   Weltmeister 915724 Paragon 131  
Strut covers and stops Paragon 105  
Rubber bushings Pelican 53  
Roll Bar brace KLA TBA TBA
Ball joints TBA TBA
Bump Steer blocks Xschop TBA TBA
Tie rod ends
Front strut brace KLA 150  
P Steering hose and fitting Braided Lines 62
Wheel Bearings DSNW 40  

Instruments

Oil P Sender VDO 36009
Water T Sender VDO 323421
VSS Sender Sloan 140  
Sensor adaptors Street Performance 31

Fuel
Uprated Fuel pump TBA
Fuel lines NAPA 45  
Fuel regulator TBA

TOTALS 13188

TBA means I cant find or remember what I paid.

you know if you do the math on what it costs to rebuild a 944 motor the 8V swaps are less .
i own 8 944's right now more than half are race cars . just to do a total rebuild on my stock 944 spec car it was 17K . just to do a 944 motor on the cheap it's 6 to 8 K so when you really get down to it installing a V8 motor is really the way to go . 1st your not adding much weight to the chassis 2nd your getting a $#** load of more torques and HP 3rd if your not into blowing hole shots and doing brun outs all the time you don't really have to do any thing else to the car but swap out the motor .
you think you have to add big brakes but not really the more power of the V8 will get you up to tip speed faster but your not going to go any faster that the top speed is of the car with the porsche motor . why well if your final drive gearing will only turn so fast and say if your motor can only spin 6500 rpm's then your top speed will no dought still be the same .
so if your cars weight is no different and your top speed is about the same you really don't need bigger brakes though they are nice to have . so the same will hold true for your suspension as your not adding much extra weight so you don't have to install stiffer shocks and springs . it's like would you have to install bigger springs if a drivers weight was 200 LBS from a driver that is 150 LBS . no not on a street car !
a 951 trans to the 8V trans yes the gearing is different and the cases are beefed up but the gears them selfs are just as strong . so do you have to install a 951 trans well no again not if your not into doing hole shots all the time . we run a stock 944 trans in our SBC car at many event's because of the lower gearing . we have never had a trans brake on us yet in that car (SBC) AND WE USE SOLID TRANS AND MOTOR MOUNTS ON THE CAR so there is no soft rubber mounts to take up the shock loads .
over the last 3 years sence i started building the V8 944's i have had customers leave every thing else alone with the cars and they drive them every day with out blowing crap apart .
so you don't have to go thru the hole car and replace and up grade every thing to have the cars hold up . the V8 motors are much cheaper to do than rebuilding the 944's motors and there are many pluses to doing the swaps . so you can chose to just do a motor swap and little by little over time build up the rest of the car if you chose to do that .
so for the dreamers out there you can do the swaps on the cheap and have a fun car that insted of the 150 stock 8V power you can have for less money a 300 HP V8 car .

962porsche

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:30 pm

^^^ For sure. My car's a DD and except for the LS1 swap, basically everything else is stock. So much fun!
acorad

Back to top Go down

Comment

Post  simon123 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with the "experts", my car is a 88 NA with 160k miles, was neglected and needed a lot of work. Based on the comments and advice of knowledgeable persons on this site I choose to uprate, lower and rebuild the suspension, increase the cooling capacity for 95 degree FL summers, use the AC, strengthen the rear end in case I wanted to do a "hole shot"  and make the thing stop safely. In addition the finished product had to have a quality look.

As for you 962Porsche, using my costings as a source to pick apart is unprofessional especially as you are advancing your business on this site. The list was given to answer a question, many potential swappers have dreamed of V8 conversion but really don't anticipate the costs, time and work involved.
I did not write a check, I worked hard to buy the parts that I sourced and used to do the job myself.

simon123

Back to top Go down

Post  962porsche on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:02 pm

simon123 wrote:I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with the "experts", my car is a 88 NA with 160k miles, was neglected and needed a lot of work. Based on the comments and advice of knowledgeable persons on this site I choose to uprate, lower and rebuild the suspension, increase the cooling capacity for 95 degree FL summers, use the AC, strengthen the rear end in case I wanted to do a "hole shot"  and make the thing stop safely. In addition the finished product had to have a quality look.

As for you 962Porsche, using my costings as a source to pick apart is unprofessional especially as you are advancing your business on this site. The list was given to answer a question, many potential swappers have dreamed of V8 conversion but really don't anticipate the costs, time and work involved.
I did not write a check, I worked hard to buy the parts that I sourced and used to do the job myself.
it was not my intent to pick apart any thing you stated ! for that i'm very sorry if it can across that way .
i'm not looking to get you pissed off in any way !
i just was thinking about the guy who may have been reading the posting and thought it may not be a good way to go because he too may have to spend a $#** load of money just to put a V8 in his car .
after all as you know the 944's with a V8 is a total blast to drive and if there is a 944 owner out there with a motor that needs to be replaced or rebuilt i'm only trying to say you are better off with doing the V8 swap .

i'm not advancing my business any were as i close the two shops up about two months ago and i'm now retired . i how ever do still play around with cars as it's in my blood and will do a side job or two from time to time but i in no way need to promote my work as i used to turn about 1/3 of the people away when i was open and now i turn away 95% of it .
962porsche

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top