944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Similar topics
Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
Belt wont stop squeeking! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 8:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Belt wont stop squeeking! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Belt wont stop squeeking! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 10:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Belt wont stop squeeking! EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Belt wont stop squeeking! EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 11:09 pm by LS982

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Belt wont stop squeeking! EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 9:45 am by gwistrup

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Belt wont stop squeeking! EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 2:54 am by lowform

» WANTED: 948 Conversion Manual
Belt wont stop squeeking! EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 2:52 pm by Elskeptico

» FS 1989 Transmission for 944
Belt wont stop squeeking! EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 11:02 am by 87roadracer

» Honda k24 swap
Belt wont stop squeeking! EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 7:00 am by 89EFhatch

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Belt wont stop squeeking!

3 posters

Go down

Belt wont stop squeeking! Empty Belt wont stop squeeking!

Post  tkrame944 Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Ok so i have a 2000 ls1 out of a corvette and i have the f body alternator and ps mounts bought from tpc. I am running the stock ps pump and the bmw hydroboost system. The belt is brand new and squeeks right at start up and squeeks worse with higher rpms. It looks to me like my pump and tentioner arnt Aligned properly, could anyone tell me some stats on spacing.

Thanks

tkrame944

Back to top Go down

Belt wont stop squeeking! Empty Re: Belt wont stop squeeking!

Post  944-LT1 Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Is the harmonic balancer stock corvette? If so, it needs to be changed to the Fbody balancer. As well, same goes for the tensioner and anything else that's still Ybody on the engine.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Belt wont stop squeeking! Empty begging for pre-emptive forgiveness

Post  Gutterboy Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:52 pm

i'm a newb mechanic, and i am entering the same fate as the original poster in that i am in the process of procuring an '01 vette ls1 but is the only reason you're stating that he needs to switch to f-body spacing is because the bmw hydroboost setup?

if one accessory is off a bit couldn't he just get the right pulley instead of aborting the entire y body setup?

i am partly asking causing i am wondering if i am possibly in the same trouble. The engine is coming out of an rx-7 swap project that got totaled in a sideswipe and the alternator has already been relocated to the bottom right as per f body so i thought i was in the clear engine wise ?????

Gutterboy
Gutterboy

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Sure, he could keep it Ybody, but he mentioned that he had already purchased Fbody equipment. That plus the higher price of a corvette alternator and a tensioner that'll need to be eventually replaced sooner or later swayed me to lead him towards Fbody. Besides all that, most conversion cars use Fbody accessories which is why mounts, adapters, and spacers sold by people on this board are made for Fbody. I personally run Ybody ancillaries and can tell you it wasn't easy or cheap as compared to Fbody.

Last edited by 944-LT1 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  tkrame944 Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:07 pm

I do have the f body balancer, i dont have the f body tensioner, but i figured $10 in spacers is better then $100 for a new one. And Gutterboy i am running all the f body stuff just to relocate the alternator and pump, neither of them in the stock corvette position fit.

tkrame944

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:08 pm

tkrame944 wrote:I do have the f body balancer, i dont have the f body tensioner, but i figured $10 in spacers is better then $100 for a new one. And Gutterboy i am running all the f body stuff just to relocate the alternator and pump, neither of them in the stock corvette position fit.

So, its just the tensioner then eh? I would hazard to guess that's causing it. Laughing

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Belt wont stop squeeking! Empty thanks for the help

Post  Gutterboy Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:15 pm

i'll just have to see what i get with this engine. can't really be picky as these things don't really come up in my remote area and i ain't seen one in two years that even remotely became a candidate as this one did.

I'm hoping i'll benefit for similar mods to f-body that the guy had to do for his rx-7 conversion. Good news is that this little thread gave me even more questions to consider to the seller and more to add to the never ending budget on this project.

Now if only i had experience to match my ambition and a definitive clue as to what to do with my cooling upgrade issue and brake upgrade conundrum. Already cased the upgrade to a low mileage turbo transaxle with LSD Very Happy

soooooooo many questions and sooooooo many threads to read. At least it's all here, and i'm sure it won't be the only purchase mistake i'll make on the way. example sloan's book apparently whoooooops! there's 50 burned and from what i hear if that and the conversion to f body pulley setup was all i wasted i'd be lucky lol!
Gutterboy
Gutterboy

Back to top Go down

Post  tkrame944 Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:11 am

Gutterboy i tell you what, when i started to build this car roughly 2 years ago i read about how wicked these things were and it never really sunk in until just a few days ago when i got to drive my own and i was breathless and speechless, now ive got names fallowing me "i eat m5s". Its truly ridiculous. Also buy that engine when you can because it will be gone, i was in your same boat those engine are rare and everyone wants one.

And for my belt i have spacers on the pump and tensioner, i am right now leaning towards the pump being the problem as i was able to get the squeak to stop when i re routed the belt a way that put more contact on the pump. Too bad that also caused a new problem by greatly increasing rpm on the alternator and blowing it up.

tkrame944

Back to top Go down

Belt wont stop squeeking! Empty taking your advice

Post  Gutterboy Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:41 am

i know i have never been able to stop looking at the same youtube videos of the psycho lightweight v8 acceleration in my favorite car. i watched a few more track videos on this forum and i couldn't stop giggling when i saw the 944 overtake a 997 turbo and v8 beamer.

the engine is mine and the transaxle is as well and i just gotta bear down and suck up the back pain, lose some knuckles twisting wrenches and drop some more net worth into the conversion kit. then i can scratch my head at the brakes and cooling issue.

gonna be quite the day when this damn paperweight rolls again.
Gutterboy
Gutterboy

Back to top Go down

Post  tkrame944 Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Fixed! Damn harmonic balancer came lose and the tensioner was out of alignment !

tkrame944

Back to top Go down

Belt wont stop squeeking! Empty wait a sec; you're saying......

Post  Gutterboy Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:48 pm

soooooooooooo...... you are still able to get by with your spacers and y body setup instead of changing to f body????

you just had tighten it up?

if so can you report back if it loosens itself off again and becomes a recurring problem? did you torque it up to spec or did you git 'r done till it felt tight?
Gutterboy
Gutterboy

Back to top Go down

Post  tkrame944 Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 am

Ok so i have an f body balancer, alternator, and aftermarket f body ps mount as the factory mount is discontinued. The tentioner and waterpump are y body. I was able to space the y body tentioner, and the balancer i had reused the old bolt, and it is nearly impossible to get it to full torque as even when the car is in gear there is a lot of elastisity in the torque tube. I dont expect anymore problems.

tkrame944

Back to top Go down