HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» WRL Race car for sale - '87 924S with LS swap
Today at 8:29 am by cscowden

» New convert under way
Yesterday at 3:39 pm by kevin924kevin

»  A/C questions
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 pm by Arthropraxis

» Corvette C6 Z06 Brake Caliper Adapters
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 pm by superman22x

» Cayenne Front and Rear Brakes on 944
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:00 pm by superman22x

» Parting out 944 Turbo with LS1
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 am by rfreundt

» 944 LS1 race car part out
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:00 am by rfreundt

» Steering shaft short
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 pm by racertomtom

» Steering rack clearance
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:32 pm by Hotrodz of Dallas

» What Intake Elbow to Use ?
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:30 pm by remaxagent33

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

California Smog Conversion

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: California Smog Conversion

Post  pormgb on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 pm

docwyte wrote:You running hptuners?  If so, pm me and I'll tell you how to code it to force all the readiness monitors to set
No, I am running EFI Live, PM on its way.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Gradient on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:09 pm

I just went through this whole thread, and it is fantastic, thank you! I am in San Diego as well and this is a project I have always wanted to do, but didn't think was possible (legally) in CA. Luckily, I have a C5 Corvette with a ton of spare parts I could use on this build. OEM cats, exhaust manifold, TB, intake...

In fact, I am thinking about pulling my LS6 from my Vette and doing this conversion with it. That way I have an excuse to put a built LS3 with a forged rotating assembly in the Vette.

Did you go the BAR yet? The suspense is killing me.
Gradient

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Gradient wrote:I just went through this whole thread, and it is fantastic, thank you!  I am in San Diego as well and this is a project I have always wanted to do, but didn't think was possible (legally) in CA.  Luckily, I have a C5 Corvette with a ton of spare parts I could use on this build.  OEM cats, exhaust manifold, TB, intake...

In fact, I am thinking about pulling my LS6 from my Vette and doing this conversion with it.  That way I have an excuse to put a built LS3 with a forged rotating assembly in the Vette.

Did you go the BAR yet? The suspense is killing me.
I have not got to the BAR, I have been really busy at work and still need to get the emission monitors to go green, this is proving to be a real headache. As soon as I get all the monitors set, I will book my inspection.

The car is driving well, I had to iron out some mechanical bugs due to the steering shaft joints and get a good enough tune to drive the care safely. I must say, even with all that smog stuff the car is extremely fast, scary fast!!

Regarding your motor, you can use the LS6 motor but it must have Camaro smog accessories, Corvette's use pre cats and its not worth trying to fit those parts.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:14 am

I know how to make your emissions monitors go ready. Are you using HP Tuners?

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Gradient on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:45 am

pormgb wrote:
Regarding your motor, you can use the LS6 motor but it must have Camaro smog accessories, Corvette's use pre cats and its not worth trying to fit those parts.
My Vette is an 03 Z06, no pre-cats after 2001 I think. The main cats look exactly the same as the Camaro ones you have. Sames size and shape. Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

I am sure it is real scary, especially with no stability control system.
Gradient

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:31 pm

docwyte wrote:I know how to make your emissions monitors go ready.  Are you using HP Tuners?
I figured it out, I use EFI Live that has a different process than HP Tuners.

Thanks!!
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:35 pm

Gradient wrote:
pormgb wrote:
My Vette is an 03 Z06, no pre-cats after 2001 I think. The main cats look exactly the same as the Camaro ones you have.  Sames size and shape.  Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

I am sure it is real scary, especially with no stability control system.
OK, but its not only the Cats but the headers need to fit. With Camaro headers, all you need to do is mill the drivers side and install the steering joint, you will need to make sure the ZO6 headers can exit behind the crossmember.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Thought I would check in on your progress. Did you get this to CA BAR yet?

Bluemach1

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3378613

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:05 am

Bluemach1 wrote:Thought I would check in on your progress.  Did you get this to CA BAR yet?

Not yet, planning to book my appointment within a month. I has taken me a while to get a good tune, I now have the motor dialed in with no codes.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:11 pm

How are you doing with the BAR? Did you get it?

Bluemach1

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3378613

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:28 pm

Bluemach1 wrote:How are you doing with the BAR?  Did you get it?

Still haven't got it done, I hope to pick up a temporary trip permit this week then book my appointment.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  TH944 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Just beginning an EROD LS3 conversion with TPC kit on a '87 944 Turbo in San Juan Capistrano.
Would love to meet for a half hour or so to see your build.  Willing to exhibit your handiwork to a fellow enthusiast?

Tried to PM, not enough posts  Suspect  email:  th944 (@) mobe.us

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

TH944

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:12 pm

TH944 wrote:Just beginning an EROD LS3 conversion with TPC kit on a '87 944 Turbo in San Juan Capistrano.
Would love to meet for a half hour or so to see your build.  Willing to exhibit your handiwork to a fellow enthusiast?

Tried to PM, not enough posts  Suspect  email:  th944 (@) mobe.us

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sure, are you planning to smog this conversion?
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  TH944 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:25 pm

pormgb wrote:Sure, are you planning to smog this conversion?

That would be great, thanks.
I can't PM yet, so let's discuss arrangements via email:  th944(@)mobe.us

Yes, SMOG "should be straight forward" with the EROD LS3, which has California Air Resources Board approval (CARB #) for install into pre ODB1 cars.  The EROD LS3 is supplied with ECU, CATS, O2 sensors, carbon canister, etc.  So, the next time we have to SMOG it, about September 2015, we shouldn’t even have to visit a referee station.  The SMOG tech notes the CARB #, verifies components as they usually do, and checks emissions.  At least that’s the way it is supposed to work.

TH944

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:59 pm

TH944 wrote:
pormgb wrote:Sure, are you planning to smog this conversion?

That would be great, thanks.
I can't PM yet, so let's discuss arrangements via email:  th944(@)mobe.us

Yes, SMOG "should be straight forward" with the EROD LS3, which has California Air Resources Board approval (CARB #) for install into pre ODB1 cars.  The EROD LS3 is supplied with ECU, CATS, O2 sensors, carbon canister, etc.  So, the next time we have to SMOG it, about September 2015, we shouldn’t even have to visit a referee station.  The SMOG tech notes the CARB #, verifies components as they usually do, and checks emissions.  At least that’s the way it is supposed to work.

OK, lets chat.

Sending you an Email.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Update

Post  pormgb on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Well, finally have an update.

I just got back from spending three hours at referee's office, the car failed but its not all bad.

I would say I was about 90% there but my aftermarket mods got me, here is the low down.

- I need to remove my Wide Band sensors and plug the holes, Innovate WB are not CARB certified
- I used adapter for the rear O2 sensors, they need to be removed for the inspection.
- Need to fully emulate a 2002 Camaro's PCV system, need to remove catch cans and replace the RH valve cover because it only has one vent tube.
- Need to replace my MSD Blaster coils with stock LS1 coils, Blaster coils are not CARB certified

After I have fixed the above items and have another inspection, I will get my sticker.

Whats very interesting is that I thought my cam (226, 229 575,585 with 116 LSA) would have caused high HC levels, the car passed the sniff test with flying colors.

The referee was really impressed with my conversion and said he has not seen many V8 swaps come this close, I will book my retest as soon as I get the parts, that should be in a couple of weeks.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:45 am

Hello 
The bleeder valve diagram on your bottom of 4th page. The ls1 doesn't( that I know) have a way to activate vacuum through engine temp to open that valve. How did you plumb that part of the system  so the vapors from the tank are cut off or closed system?

TY Sam

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:20 am

gdopnt wrote:Hello 
The bleeder valve diagram on your bottom of 4th page. The ls1 doesn't( that I know) have a way to activate vacuum through engine temp to open that valve. How did you plumb that part of the system  so the vapors from the tank are cut off or closed system?

TY Sam

If you are referring to fuel tank vapor purge system, I have the LS1 system installed.

I installed an LS1 carbon canister with purge solenoid, the canister has two inputs, one is connected to vent tube behind the engine on the firewall, the other connects to the evap solenoid (connected to intake manifold).  Both solenoids are wired up and functional, the PCM opens the solenoids based on fuel tank level and pressure, I also have a fuel tank pressure sensor and a resistor emulating 1/2 full gas tank.

Because the carbon canister is hidden, I had to take a picture of the canister installed to the BAR.

If you are trying to pass smog, the referee will download a wiring diagram for your motor and check for every emission piece listed.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I do not have to pass smog but I wanted the Porsche vapor purge to work. the one thing I don't have is temp operated vacuum valve. I will read more on it and work something out.

TY Sam

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Passed!!

Post  pormgb on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:24 pm

Great day today, my car passed the BAR inspection an is now California street legal.

The referee are Miramar College was very polite and fair, he stated that most of the cars he sees are not properly converted and fail the inspection. If you do your research, it is not difficult to pass.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Nice work!

Andy
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Congrats, that's a huge accomplishment!!

docwyte

Back to top Go down

CA Smog Conversion

Post  mrmartini101 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:07 pm

TH944,

I'm curious how your EROD conversion came out. Because I have to pass the CARB I'm thinking the EROD LS3 might be the way to go. or would it be the same as getting the complete motor ECU, Cats, ect. from an F body donor. Any help it's greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mrmartini101

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:22 pm

mrmartini101 wrote:TH944,

I'm curious how your EROD conversion came out. Because I have to pass the CARB I'm thinking the EROD LS3 might be the way to go. or would it be the same as getting the complete motor ECU, Cats, ect. from an F body donor.  Any help it's greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

My conversion is not a EROD, my motor is a LS6 dressed with 2002 Camaro LS1 emission stuff, EROD motors are very expensive and you would still have to modify the headers and cats to fit in the 944.

To become CARB legal, find a donor 2002 Camaro and transfer all its emission stuff, modify the down pipes to relocate cats and pickup a CARB legal K+N air filter for that year Camaro. You must have the stock PCM with software, a new law was introduced on 2015 that out laws aftermarket PCM software. Head to local CARB inspection center, make sure you have no CELs and all readiness indicators are green.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Ca Smog Conversion

Post  mrmartini101 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks for the reply, I must have had a brain fart. I thought I was sending a request to TH944.
Thanks for all of the info. I did read your Ca smog conversion posts. Nice job.
Reading about the EROD motors and the fact they make some very impressive HP and they are CARB approved, is very attractive. Just a little pricey. I guess it's going to come down if I can find a good F body motor with all of the smog.
On the LS conversion forum. Some were talking that the CARB inspectors said they needed the donor cars fuel tank.
I'm also in San Diego. If possible I'd love to see your car, maybe pick you brain a little.

mrmartini101

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top