HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» FiTech option
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:06 pm by sharkey

» Hydroboost? 1/2" Spacers?
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:16 am by remaxagent33

» Drag set up
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:47 pm by Ij944

» FS ABS Powerbrake system pressure pumps
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:09 pm by jpr

» A/C parts used for the swap !
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 am by Rothaus

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 am by Ij944

» 82 924 with AUX Audi V8.
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:17 am by Golten1986

» Clutch Issues - HELP!!!
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:16 am by chrenan

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:08 am by chrenan

» Brand new ls3 build
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:46 pm by Plucky948

September 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

California Smog Conversion

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: California Smog Conversion

Post  Bluemach1 on Tue May 28, 2013 10:23 pm

Did you find that you really needed the 10 degrees or did it just need to be shaved way down? When I borrowed acords for dimensions, it didnt seem to be cut at angle, just cut down to about 0.25" if I recall correctly.

Bluemach1

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3378613

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Tue May 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Bluemach1 wrote:Did you find that you really needed the 10 degrees or did it just need to be shaved way down? When I borrowed acords for dimensions, it didnt seem to be cut at angle, just cut down to about 0.25" if I recall correctly.

Yea, I found some of acords pictures showing the modified manifold, I couldn't figure out if the left side had the 10 degree slant, I also read some other posts stating that the 10 degree slant was needed. Any way, since there is lots of room to tuck in the manifold and I didn't want to go to the machine shop twice, I decided to go the 10 degree route.

pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 on Tue May 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Good plan. I am really interested in seeing you final fit.

Bluemach1

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Tue May 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Bluemach1 wrote:Good plan. I am really interested in seeing you final fit.

Yep, should have the steering shaft done this week.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Wed May 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Some information on emission related sensors.

All sensors based on a 2002 Camaro are connected, I am having a little trouble with the purge solenoid valve, not sure what wrong but I will take a look at the tune to see if something is missing. I actually took a tune from a stock 2002 Camaro with all the emission stuff is enabled, I then modified it to match my cam and intake and disabled stuff like VATS and Transmission related items.

From what I have read on other forums but still researching, I will need to add fuel level + Fuel tank pressure sensors to allow the EVAP System to work correctly. The fuel level sensor can be mocked up with a 200-ohm resistor; the fuel tank pressure sensor can be placed in the fuel tank vent line.

EFI Live is really cool because it has a diagnostic program that lets you turn on engine accessories such as Fans, EVAP, Fuel Pump, AIR Pump with out the motor running. This lets you verify all you wiring is correct before sealing up the PCM.

Last edited by pormgb on Wed May 29, 2013 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 on Wed May 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Where are you in California?

Bluemach1

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Wed May 29, 2013 10:58 pm

Bluemach1 wrote:Where are you in California?

San Diego.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 pm

pormgb wrote:Some information on emission related sensors.

All sensors based on a 2002 Camaro are connected, I am having a little trouble with the purge solenoid, not sure what wrong but I will take a look at the tune to see if something is missing.

Got the purge solenoid valve fixed, the PCM pin wasn't all the way in the plug.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Looking at your pictures I see that you still have the original 944 vacuum canister next to your new air pump. The 944 vacuum canister no longer serves a purpose or does it?

Bluemach1

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Thu May 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Bluemach1 wrote:Looking at your pictures I see that you still have the original 944 vacuum canister next to your new air pump. The 944 vacuum canister no longer serves a purpose or does it?

That's a good question!!

That canister provided a place to store vacuum to operate vacuum dependent accessories (Brake Booster, Heater Valve). At higher rpm's as the intake pressure gets closer to atmospheric pressure there is less vacuum, this probably provides a reserve to operate accessories.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Thu May 30, 2013 10:38 pm

After much pain and suffering, I got the steering shaft setup with no binding of the joints. I still have to modify the bracket to place the heim joint facing down, it currently blocks the O2 sensor. I decided to make this bracket because I don't have access to the upright, if this was a fresh build I would weld the bracket to the upright. By the way, that 10 degree slant really helps.

pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 on Fri May 31, 2013 9:58 am

This is looking really good. Is that collector flange going to be a problem? The set that came off ACORADS conversion had the driver side modified to mate with a standard collector. I made a template of this.. kind of hard to tell from the photo but you can see that a lot of the material had to be removed. On the bottom you can see that the original mounting bolt hole is almost complete gone.

Bluemach1

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 pm

Bluemach1 wrote:This is looking really good. Is that collector flange going to be a problem? The set that came off ACORADS conversion had the driver side modified to mate with a standard collector. I made a template of this.. kind of hard to tell from the photo but you can see that a lot of the material had to be removed. On the bottom you can see that the original mounting bolt hole is almost complete gone.

This template is for the passenger side flange, this flange is really close to the body so I think that template places the exhaust pipe side at a different angle. I actually rounded off the flange to provide more clearance, I also dented the heat shield to provide around a 1/2" gap.

Here is one of ACORADS pictures show in the modded right exhaust manifold, you can also see how the LH manifold was machined.

pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 on Fri May 31, 2013 1:22 pm

DOH! Yes. I made this so long ago I got twisted on it. Good pictures by the way.

Bluemach1

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Fri May 31, 2013 7:29 pm

Completed the steering shaft mod, it works flawlessly. Borgeson joints work really well and seem to be the only ones that have Porsche 944 splines, they allow you to do lots of trial fittings. On thing to watch for is that D type joints use set screws with lock nuts, on the middle joint these set screws + lock nuts interfered with the body and the exhaust manifold, I had to cut them down to be flush with the lock nuts. Another option would be to use weld on joints with soothe rod but I think you would have to use the stock 944 joints.

pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Completed the exhaust system, I was able to get the cats tucked away, I will probably need to install some heat shields. My rear sensors hang a bit low so I my install adapters, I will see how low they are when the car is off jack stands.

My next task is to reroute starter and O2 Sensor cables away from cats, I have seen what cats can do to cables.

pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:00 pm

The conversion is now complete, I ran the car for the first time today and am impressed how well it runs. I am running a stock Camaro tune with all the smog stuff enabled, the PCM now needs to tuned to work with the cam, Z06 heads and intake with 85 mm TB.

I ended up adding a fuel tank pressure sensor and s 270 ohm resistor to emulate the gas tank being 85% full, these items are needed for EVAP to work correctly, I am not sure if the BAR referee cares about it functioning.

The smog pump runs per stock spec, when the motor is first started it runs for a few minutes then stops, I still need to bring the motor to full operating temperature so the PCM can go into closed loop, closed loop is required for the readiness indicators to go positive.

I am still looking for a CARB Sticker, it needs to be
D-269-20 that correspondents to a 2002 Camaro K+N FIPK.

I also added an engine check light to the center console, its pretty big so there should be no issues seeing it. Due to a lack of room under the hood, I relocated the battery with a disconnect switch to the trunk, this proved to be very handy when installing electrical items.

pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Good job with keeping the thread current.  I am very interested to see how your visit with BAR goes!

Bluemach1

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Sure will, I feel pretty confident it will pass.

The only thing that is not exactly where it should be, is the cats. it is impossible to get Camaro cats in stock form installed on 944s, I think the rule is that cats have to be within 3" inches of their original spec, adding down pipes places them around 6 to 8 inches.

I also understand that you are allowed two exemptions, for our cars, that could be cat location and non original gas tank, I have been able to get all other emission pieces installed.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Found out some more smog related information today.

It seems the visual smog checks include throttle body coolant lines, this is a common LS1 delete but is related to the cars emission system. This is very easy to add, the lines on the throttle body plumb in line with the steam vent.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:01 am

That is good to know. I have one that is polished and ported with the coolant line delete. I also have another stock one. Glad I kept it.

Bluemach1

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:11 pm

After searching for months, I finally found a K&N FIPK with CARB sticker. I didn't plan on buying the whole unit but that was the only way I could get the sticker, D-269-20 is the correct CARB number.

There is actually a difference between Corvette C5 and 2002 Camaro FIPK filters, the Camaro filter is slimmer and wider and fits better under the nose panel.  I also found a VIN from a 2002 Camaro, I burned into the PCM so the referee would be able to identify the motor.

pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:50 pm

Have you gone to the BAR yet?

Bluemach1

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Bluemach1 wrote:Have you gone to the BAR yet?

Not yet, been busy with the family.

I am still working on a few issues; today I fixed a bad rear O2 sensor that was throwing heater codes. There is one thing giving me some grief, I am having a hard time getting the emission readiness indicators to go green. To get the car to be road worthy, I have to make constant modifications to the current tune; every time I burn a change to the PCM the indicators get reset. I have to get to the point where I have a drivable tune with no codes.
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:32 pm

You running hptuners? If so, pm me and I'll tell you how to code it to force all the readiness monitors to set

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum