HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Poly based strut mounts on exchange
Yesterday at 10:16 pm by xschop

» 18x10" Enkei wheels
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 pm by Sterling Doc

» Around the block
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 am by Red944ls1

» RX7 Caliper Swap
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 am by osx86ftw

» Cooling solutions please!
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 pm by yamamtx

» Holley intake, vacuum pump and cross member spacer
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 am by zeusrotty

» Sparkydog's Abnormal Build - 944 With L67 + Ford Stuff & CARB Legal
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm by sparkydog

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 am by haroldk

» Coolant / header tank cap
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:56 pm by Arthropraxis

» Cadillac ATS Brembo Front Brake Swap
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:43 pm by superman22x

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Question on the ABS Power Brakes (electric setup)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question on the ABS Power Brakes (electric setup)

Post  rdanford on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:43 am

For the guys that have or might know about the workings of the ABS Power Brakes electric brake setup I have a question. For the last 2 years the setup has been great until now.

Here is my question and scenario:
I pull into the garage after taking the car to work and everything is perfect and working, the next morning I start up the car and no brakes...it sounds like the electric booster is running non-stop and the brake pedal is harder then heck (manual brakes would be easier to slow this thing down). I have replaced the "pressure switch" and bleed the brakes per instructions with no change. The company is really no help as this should have fixed it, "maybe take the pump out and send back to us for rebuild" is there next idea....Any suggustions from guys using this system or have any experience with it?

Thanks,
Royce
rdanford

Back to top Go down

Re: Question on the ABS Power Brakes (electric setup)

Post  zeusrotty on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:06 pm

It sounds like a loose or bad wire or ground making the pump run non stop or the relay went out. And you are correct... They are absolutely no help at all. 225.00 for a rebuild, and 475.00 for a new pump. Very shitty.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  rdanford on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Ground wire was part of it...Still haven't had time to verify with new pressure switch, ground fixed, and bleeding lines if that's the issue.

Thanks
rdanford

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Did you already buy the pressure switch? I have an extra from when they were no help to me either.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  rdanford on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Nope, already bought the overpriced $89 shipped pressure switch...thanks though.

Have you had any other issues with the setup...doesn't seem to be much info out there on it

Royce
rdanford

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Leaking master, and bad pressure switch... Then a bad relay. Try to call them and some old guy that sounds like you are bothering him answers... Then tries to get someone to help but they only speak spanish. If you want an answer to anything just ask for Memo from the get go.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:00 pm

If the pump itself has failed, wouldn’t you have very little or no pressure at the hard line going into the M/C...the 3rd/rear port?

With the pump’s electric motor running and while not pressing on the brake pedal, I would expect it to spray quite a bit if the pump is good.

Can you loosen one of the end nuts on that hard line (not all the way, and with a shop rag around it to keep from ruining your paint job) and see what's what? Maybe wear eye protection as well ;-))

Actually $225 to rebuild the pump seems reasonable to me.

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:18 pm

So you think something should be rebuilt after 2 years of very limited use for $225? Not even 5k miles?
I think that's nuts. If you have pumps that get shipped with leaks or fail in a year or two, you should do the right thing and just fix it. Not charge 80.00 for a sensor. Then 225.00 for the pump, or 475.00 for a new one.

And OP if you dont have pressure at the pedal, is the master sealing properly? That would cause it to run all the time because its not holding the pressure you think it is getting.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:15 pm

zeusrotty wrote:So you think something should be rebuilt after 2 years of very limited use for $225? Not even 5k miles?
Ouch ;-) I don't think I said that.

I agree...2 years isn't very long for a hydraulic pump to fail. I'd be pissed too, especially if I already spent money to replace an expensive switch that apparently wasn't needed (you said if failed but then offered Royce a good spare to test with). Also you said you had a bad relay. I would be frustrated too.

zeusrotty wrote:And OP if you dont have pressure at the pedal, is the master sealing properly? That would cause it to run all the time because its not holding the pressure you think it is getting.

Was this what you found to fix your problem...and was tightening a leaking fitting the cure?

I'm getting close to installing the same electric brake system and trying to learn from this and other forums.

But other than that, $225 to rebuild the pump isn't an outrageous charge, of course, without a lot the extenuating circumstances.

And I know you have had more than your share of problems sorting out Travis' car. (As he did as well)

Sorry I hit a nerve Sad

btw...the install instructions say "Verify brake fluid is flowing from reservoir to pump inlet before turning ignition to ON position." Anytime a pump is run when dry (no lube) it will shorten its the life. Do we know for sure that never happened?

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Yes its clearly getting the brake fluid. The line going from res to the pump is unobstructed.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:16 pm

zeusrotty wrote:you have pumps that get shipped with leaks
umm...so are you saying you installed a new (or replacement pump), followed the installation instructions (priming it), it still leaks...and the supplier said it would cost you to repair or replace this pump? I'm confused.

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Ummm... I think you already know I bought the car with the electric brake system installed. But I know when the build was done, and I know when the system stopped working. And I know what it took to get it mostly fixed. I also know that if they will ship a brand new pump that leaks the chance of a pump with very little use to leak is just that much higher. So I don't get what confuses you. Nor do I get why it matters that you don't get it.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Unfortunately this illustrates why I try to go with OEM parts whenever possible. While my hydroboost system leaves some to be desired, it's an OEM part and built like a tank...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:44 pm

docwyte wrote:Unfortunately this illustrates why I try to go with OEM parts whenever possible. While my hydroboost system leaves some to be desired, it's an OEM part and built like a tank...

I agree, and when I start the boxter ABS project this thing is outa there. LOL

Last edited by zeusrotty on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:45 pm

I hope to add the boxster ABS next year too...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:18 pm

docwyte wrote:why I try to go with OEM parts whenever possible
The unit I bought new from ABS electric has ATE stamped on the side of the pump assembly (same as the brake booster in my 944 which I would say is an OEM). Tom Egan has worked with these guys and is using the system as are many, many others. I don't doubt their customer service may make many folks unhappy...I'm trying to find out if this stuff is total crap or not before I install it. I'm trying to understand if the problems were due to installation related issues or serious design flaws. I'm just asking questions because let's face it...brakes are a pretty serious concern.

I like the idea of a more responsive Boxster ABS unit if you already have the stock 944 Porsche ABS system you want to replace. But by itself doesn't solve eliminating the big vacuum booster which is what I'm trying to accomplish first.

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Then I'm telling you that this system ain't great.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  rdanford on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Have run all the tests that the company has giving us....the pump is bad. So pissed at their customer service and reliability of the system.

I will be removing the system and installing hydroboost....Anybody want to buy a discounted electric brake system as I don't have the time to have the pump rebuilt every 2-4 years at $225.
rdanford

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 pm

That sucks Royce, it's a clean install. I'd go with the BMW system, it lets you reuse the 951 master cylinder so you don't have brake bias problems

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  rdanford on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:12 pm

I no longer have the stock brake master cylinder...Anyone have a stock 951 MC laying around.

What parts are all needed for the BMW setup...hydro off of what series?

It was such a clean install but the reliability issues are major problem for me so I need to start over unfortunately.
rdanford

Back to top Go down

Post  rdanford on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 pm

I talked with the owner of ABS Power Brakes today and we worked out a much better price on the pump rebuild and I'm going to do that and stick with the system at this time.
rdanford

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:13 pm

That's good, hopefully it doesn't give you any further issues.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  rdanford on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:15 pm

If it does, I address them in the future. With getting plans completed for a new house this isn't the time to be changing it all around as I just don't have the time. This gets me on the road with an hours worth of time.
rdanford

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm glad to hear this too.

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Kind of upsetting that they were so adamant on the 225.00 number with me. Im going to call them Monday.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top