HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 LSD turbo/NA transaxle
Yesterday at 11:26 pm by x.l.r.8

» HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:26 pm by Guitmn

» light delete badge panel.
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:58 pm by x.l.r.8

» Early / late suspension
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:52 am by Guitmn

» Used Throw Out bearing
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:18 pm by Admin

» Used C5 Adapter Plate for 2 piece bellhousing
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:08 pm by Admin

» axles and cv joints
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:03 pm by kevin924kevin

» Holley Pro Street Annihilator Ignition system
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:39 pm by x.l.r.8

» Fuel pump for carb.
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:29 pm by x.l.r.8

» radiator and fan
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:44 pm by matt889

October 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

924 straight six swap

Go down

924 straight six swap

Post  HorizonblueDK on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Hey guys
You really like your V8 engines in the US Very Happy
Well, a 944 with a Chevy V8 is actually also on my list of wishes, but here in Denmark(Europe), it's going to be a challenge to get such a car street legal, mainly because the original brake booster is ditched.
So I'm working on something different. A 924 with a straight six engine. VW produced such an engine from 1983 till 1995, only used in a VW van (the same van as the original 924 engine came from)

The plan is to just make the car run with this engine, to see how it feels, with a straight engine in the front. If it feels great, which I think/hope, a performance upgrade is the next step. The engine has a small carburetor right now. A performance upgrade would be EFI & turbo.

The engine bolts right on to the original bell housing, but a little machining is necessary, to make the clutch operational. The oil pan must be modified, to clear the cross member. New motormounts must be fabricated, so the engine rests on the cross member.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I had to turn the carburetor 90° so it could clear the bodywork. This means that I can only run on the primary throttle valve(two stage carb), but for testing that's fine for me.

A couple of 8" fans should fit here

This is the space I need, for the cross member. A modification to the oil pan should do it.

Last edited by HorizonblueDK on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Make photos view-able again)

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Re: 924 straight six swap

Post  87-944S on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Very cool idea, straight sixes can make some huge power! How much space do yo have for the radiator?
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:02 am

From the pulley to the radiator, at the closest point, there are 2 inches right now.

As you can see on the second last picture, there is a humongous pulley on the front of the engine(original for the engine). It has 3 grooves for V-belts and 4 studs for mounting a fan. It is actually not seated correct yet, it can go approx 1/4 inch more towards the engine. I believe that there is just enough space, for 2 x 8" fans, if they are mounted in each upper corner of the radiator.

The crackshaft pulley is fine for driving the alternator, on a few test-runs. But if I decide to keep the 6 cyl engine, I will replace the pulley with a serpentine, and relocate the alternator to the drivers side of the engine. The alternator is on the passenger side of the engine(exhaust side), I would like to take it away from the vicinity of the exhaust manifold.

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Here is a tachometer wiring diagram, which I have made for a boat project I'm also doing in the workshop. On the boat, I'm planning to use gasoline tachometers on diesel engines, so this little arrangment is necessary to make it work (have been tested)

It can also be used to drive the original 4 cyl tachometer in the 924.

I have tested it with a new electronic tachometer (that needs + and - to work). It probably doesn't consume many amp. I'm a bit excited to see if the old style tach in the 924 draws more amps and burns up the Omron proximity switch.

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 am

A few days ago, I connected the original 924 tachometer to the proximity switch, as shown on the diagram above. But the result was dissapointing, the tachometer didn't show anything. I was afraid that the tachometer was dead.

But I made a complete replica of the ignition system, where the signal wire is connected to the negative side of the coil. And it works fine again. So apparantly I need a positive signal, via a load, that is shorted 2 times per engine revolution, to make the tachometer work. Any suggestions on how this can be done?

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:53 am

I didn't have any luck with my tachometer connected to a proximity switch, apparently these old tachometers needs a high energy charge to show anything. And I didn't have any good ideas on how to build a system that could produce this charge, from the proximity switch signal, so I finally decided to purchase this tachometer converter.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now this job is almost done, on to the next task; modifying the oil pan and make the clutch work.

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:05 am

It's been a while, but the engine is in the car and running. I haven't been on the road, since I'm doing a little bodywork on the front and therefore have no headlights at this moment. Where I live, it's not allowed to drive without lights on.

But I have taken a few rides up and down my driveway.

Oil pan, old to the right

Tachometer

Left engine mount

Spal fans

Clearance in front of the engine

Engine installed (with original carb)

I have replaced the original carb with a Weber, since the engine wouldn't run right. I have modified the original carb too much probably. There was not space for it in the original position, with the external equipment, so I rotated it 90° and removed most of the external parts and "simplified" it. But the engine ran too rich, and I didn't want to waste to much time finding the fault on a carb I had bastardized, so I purchased a new Weber.

So the job now is to finish the air intake and the front of the car. Then I can take it out for a spin, looking forward to that.

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:26 am

Well, after a lot of tinkering I have finally been on the road a few times.

Here is a 15 minute video, taken from a 30 minute drive. When this video was shot, there was still one issue that I needed to resolve. When the engine is just above idle (1200 rpm) you can hear a noise. I initially thought it came from the oil pump, since it only appeared after the engine was warmed up.

But it turned out that the timing belt was over tightened and therefore creating this noise.

For those impatient, you can go to 8:00, there I rev the engine up a little and the straight six sound can be heard more clearly.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I still need to do a little bodywork, it takes some time to modify the 951 front so it fits the 924 bodywork. But at least the car runs now. Later I will look into an EFI system, but for now it runs ok with the carb.

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:29 am

Engine bay today

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  SGoodall on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:18 am

How come you chose to use the I6 motor over the I5? Is this the 2.4l engine? You could use pistons out of a 2l I4 or 2.3 I5 vw engine with 82.5mm pistons and increase your displacement to 2.8l... I could imagine you could get the cam shaft reground to match the profiles of some the more power full I4 or I5 engines as the cylinder head design is exactly the same as is bore x stroke.

Very nice project however, be cool to get a run in a I6 924

SGoodall

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:48 am

SGoodall wrote:How come you chose to use the I6 motor over the I5? Is this the 2.4l engine? You could use pistons out of a 2l I4 or 2.3 I5 vw engine with 82.5mm pistons and increase your displacement to 2.8l... I could imagine you could get the cam shaft reground to match the profiles of some the more power full I4 or I5 engines as the cylinder head design is exactly the same as is bore x stroke.

Very nice project however, be cool to get a run in a I6 924
Why settle with 5 cylinders when you can have 6 Very Happy 

Anyway, I have a thing for straight six engines, they are very well balanced, and I think that they sound better than a V6.

Yes, it is the 2.4 engine. I haven't got any plans on changing components inside the engine, maybe just regrind the camshaft. The engine came from a van that has been owned by the national guard, with very low mileage. The compression test showed excellent results, so it's a shame to replace anything, I think.

The compression ratio is low, approx. 8:1 so it's a perfect candidate for a little boost. But the first step is to build components for an EFI system and get that running. At the same time, I will look into the possibility of installing an Eaton supercharger. Think I will take one thing at a time.

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  SGoodall on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:35 pm

HorizonblueDK wrote:
Why settle with 5 cylinders when you can have 6 Very Happy 

Anyway, I have a thing for straight six engines, they are very well balanced, and I think that they sound better than a V6.

Yes, it is the 2.4 engine. I haven't got any plans on changing components inside the engine, maybe just regrind the camshaft. The engine came from a van that has been owned by the national guard, with very low mileage. The compression test showed excellent results, so it's a shame to replace anything, I think.

The compression ratio is low, approx. 8:1 so it's a perfect candidate for a little boost. But the first step is to build components for an EFI system and get that running. At the same time, I will look into the possibility of installing an Eaton supercharger. Think I will take one thing at a time.
Yes 8:1 is just in between the compression ratios of the two 2v/cyl turbo audi quattro coupes so I dont see why couldn't get at least 200-250 hp out the motor on stock internals, the best 10v turbo found in audis was the MC1 so can manage to copy the specs of its camshaft you would be cooking on gas as we say here

Which turbo are you thinking?

SGoodall

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:16 pm

Initially I was thinking about a Rotrex supercharger.

They are quiet in operation and don't take up much space. But they are expensive.

Actually, there is ample space on the drivers side of the engine, if I re-route the coolant hoses. Think I should do that, and find an Eaton M45 supercharger. They are not as expensive as the Rotrex, but they take up more space.

I don't have any goals on the power, I'm not planning on doing 1/4 mile runs. I just want the car to be a quick cruiser.

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  SGoodall on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:06 pm

The M45 would be ideal on the I6 but even if over driven and with improvements in the engine will be hard to get pump enough mass of air to get over 200hp, however will be one very nice set up with a lovely power band and a noise worth more than anything. I found your build thread on an other forum, must say you already have a turbo manifold would not consider it? But a nice 6 branch and supercharger be much more impressive.

I see you are from outside Aarhus, lovely city from what I did see and visited a little town called Lyngby where the girl I was involved with was from...

SGoodall

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:49 am

Yes, I already have a Turbo manifold on the engine. I purchased that one, since the original exhaust manifold took up too much space. Untortuneatly it is not possible to mount the turbo directly on it, there is not enough clearance to the bodywork. So installing a turbocharger would involve some "pipe work"

But the main reason that I'm going for a supercharger instead of a turbocharger, is that it may be a little easier to pass MOT (car inspection) with a supercharger(without wastegate) instead of a turbocharger (with wastegate) on the engine. The rules are quite weird.

It has something to do with the power increase. If there is a wastegate, you can increase power by simple means. It is therefore considered as a heavy modification to the car, and it can be difficult to pass MOT without a lot of paperwork.

As I read the rules, a supercharger without wastegate is not a heavy modification to the car. Off course I have to stay within the 20% power increase to pass MOT, so 150 hp is all that I'm allowed to do, unless I want a lot of trouble and paperwork.

Another reason for the supercharger, is that it should be easy to install. Fabricate a bracket/a little pipework, find some pulleys and a belt and we have what we need(I know it's done on a monday evening....).

And it doesn't generate an enormous amount of heat as the Turbo does.

Where are you located?

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  SGoodall on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:27 am

I'm from Northern Ireland, to be exact country Fermanagh, my profession is as a mechanical engineer and recently in particular powertrain

Those are complicated rules and I guess set up to prevent modified cars but allow for the likes of industrial machinery like fire engines to power pumps. Here strictly speaking engine modifications and changes are not regulated we just have inform of engine number changes, but if the car is too modified, ie if the axles, engine and gearbox are all changed it will have go for an inspection and lots of paperwork but you still can do whatever you like. But a simple engine swap generally doesn't call for any inspection, however its insurance here is difficult to get at times...

If your limit is 150hp should happily get that naturally aspirated, I think it was TSR use to get a quoted 160hp from the I5 10v by boring it out and changing the camshaft and keeping the k-jet injection, so even keeping your current cam and building a 6 branch with mappable injection and ignition 150hp should be within possibility. I say building a 6 branch as I see from the other forum I spotted the project ton you TIG weld

SGoodall

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:56 pm

Here is a video I made yesterday, when I took the car out for a cruise in the countryside.

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Have been working a little on the EFI hardware, fabricating injector bosses, cutting off the plenum and drilling holes in the intake manifold.

I dont have a milling machine, so I made a drilling template, which worked fine.

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Well, a lot of work has been done, and here is the result.

Oil cooler

Running Megasquirt ECU. Over the winter I will have to change the ignition, so the ECU controls that also, I'm running fuel only now. But the vacuum advance is not working right and it was the plan to control ignition sooner or later anyway.

Last edited by HorizonblueDK on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:01 am

Here is a trip I took, before winter. The sound is much better now, with the 2,5" inch exhaust.

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:31 am

Congrats on putting it all together. I really like your intake. It makes one pause and ponder.
I bet it has some very good Torque curve as well. Keep up with pics/ vids.
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  HorizonblueDK on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:11 pm

Thanks.
I made the intake more or less from scratch, since the EFI intake manifold for this engine is hard to get and would not fit in the engine bay.

On some of the first pictures, you can see that I'm welding injector bungs in what is actually a manifold for the diesel version of this engine. Yes, the diesel and gasoline head has the same boltpattern for both intake and exhaust. All I had to do, was to enlarge the holes a bit (left=diesel/right=gasoline)

I cut off the plenumchamber on the dieselmanifold and made the new one with the long runners instead. The material here is stainless steel and I made a jig for holding the runners in place.

Trumpets inside the plenum

I also made a complete 2,5" stainless steel exhaust system.

The old downpipe to the left, which I quickly made from whatever I had in the workshop, was a complete disaster, flow wise, so I opmized that, when I build the stainless system.

HorizonblueDK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum