HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Unfinished 1987 turbo ls2 conversion
Yesterday at 12:21 pm by Murrdog9000

» Stunning 968 Coupe w/LS1 Conversion
Fri May 18, 2018 10:36 am by ScarGO1

» Clutch Issues - HELP!!!
Wed May 16, 2018 10:51 am by Fubar

» What header is everyone using?
Mon May 14, 2018 2:23 am by quarterflash

» Hydroboost Lines from TPC
Sat May 12, 2018 7:20 am by matt889

» 1984 Gen IV 5.3 Swap
Fri May 11, 2018 1:23 pm by superman22x

» Dry Sump Oil Pan Fitment
Wed May 09, 2018 1:29 pm by sharkey

» Engine Accesory Kit and Turbo Manifold Fitment
Wed May 09, 2018 10:02 am by Jchard944

» 944 NA suspension suggestions
Tue May 08, 2018 6:22 am by matt889

» 944s 1987 clutch not disengaging
Mon May 07, 2018 3:24 pm by matt889

May 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

oil starvation, accusump?

Go down

oil starvation, accusump?

Post  bp944 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:36 am

I've heard of guys claiming that the stock ls1 will sometimes starve under track conditions, have you guys had problems with that? The forums suggest getting something called an accusump setup. Is this just a step below a dry sump setup?

ps. Does anyone know of track events and autocross events that happen in Minnesota?

bp944

Back to top Go down

Re: oil starvation, accusump?

Post  cjbcpa on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 am

My 944 is a 98% track car (I have not done an LS conversion yet) and I have an Accusump installed (after one catastrophic engine failure).

An Accusump is a pressurized canister containing, in my case, three quarts of additional oil. It's plumbed into an unconverted car using a sandwich plate on the oil filter housing. Using an oil pressure sensor, a valve will open when oil pressure dips below a certain level causing the additional oil to be forced into the motors circulatory system. When oil pressure rises again, it works in reverse, filling the canister back up in preparation for the next cycle.

Works as advertised. I'm not knowledgable to judge whether injecting the oil through the sandwich plate is the most effective location, but that's the only install I've ever heard of on our cars. My canister is installed out of sight under the passenger side quarter panel. I've also seen installs that remove the heater fan on top of the firewall and put them there.

CB
cjbcpa

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:59 pm

I have added an Accusump with a pressure switch to my LS1 conversion. This Accusump was previously on my inline 5 cylinder turbo Audi track car after blowing up my first engine without one. The LS1/LS6 are supposed to be better than the LS2/LS3 engines for resisting starvation, but it can still happen. An Accusump can't hurt, and might even help, but my race shop says the only real solution is a full-on dry sump system.

Here's a diagram of my oil system. Note: the Mazda thermostat needs to come out.

And here's a picture of the install. This is looking straight up from in front of the passenger front wheel.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc948GTR on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 pm

As anyone successfully put on a full dry sump system with an LS series engine swap ?

I'm considering using this but wondering if there is room for it (the pump usually mounts to the block and is driven by the belt).

Thanks.
Marc948GTR

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:10 am

Having a properly baffled oil pan goes a long way towards keeping a motor happy. The stock LS cars were having issues mostly because the oil was getting pulled away from the pick up...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  962porsche on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:55 am

all i use on my SBC 948 is a moroso road racing oil pan that car has a crap load of endurance races on it with no oiling trubble at all .
i have also install many accusumps on many different types of cars . as for it being just a step below a dry sump system NO it's not in any way like that .
as i know the designer of the accusump system put out by moroso the best place it install the feed line is were the stock oil filer used to go you then should change to a remote oil filer set up .
you should know it's still not a 100% guaranty you will not have a oiling problem but it's a help .
a baffled road racing oil pan is the best low cost way to go . a dry sump is best but the install is tight on the 8V 944's . i have had to do 3 of them so far and there is room for the pump it's the pan that is the headeach . the 2nd bung back is in the way of the cross member and has to be moved but your kind of stuck with were you can move it to as scavengeing the oil then will be a problem .
so what i have done on the last two cars is notch the cross member and then box it in to give it it's stranght back . you only have to cut out about 1 inch from the top of the cross member . i use the 3 stage moroso oil pumps for the LS motors how ever the bracket they have on the pumps have to be modified a little to fit in the 944's if your using power steering ,AC and all the other power robbing crap on the LS motors .
962porsche

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Certainly the Gen III & Gen IV blocks can suck way too much oil into the top end...which at times can't drain quickly enough back into the pan.  Many have resolved this problem with products like Smith Brothers Oil Restrictor push rods.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/2432806-smith-brothers-push-rods.html

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:51 am

I have both a very good baffled racing pan (purchased from Tom E.) and an accusump. To me the accusump is just a safety measure and a pre-oiler. I've never seen my oil pressure drop on track and I attribute that to the well baffled pan.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  962porsche on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:55 am

the down sides to have a oil accumulator is weight it adds to the car .
with my cars i race i look to save grams of weight not LBS as grams = lbs .
the pre oiling is good but you can drive most cars for 150 to 200 K on the same motor with out any oiling problems .
the accumulator is good if your car sits for long periods of time and your not starting it up to drive it every day or two .
on the SBC car i do pull the distributor and spin the oil pump untill i get the oil pressure back up before we start it after it's been sitting for a long time .
we also do the same on the LS7 car (but not the dis ) we just pull the belt off the dry sump oil pumpo and with a high speed drill we spin the pump how ever we do that before just about any start up after the car sits for longer than a week .
my feeling is all you really need is a good large capacity baffled pan for the type of driving or racing your doing .
that's all we have on the SBC car and the only racing we do with it is endurance event's a sprint race with that car is 3 hours .
962porsche

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum