HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» RX7 Caliper Swap
Today at 12:19 pm by osx86ftw

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Yesterday at 11:52 pm by chrenan

» Which turbo trans for my swap application?
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:10 pm by racertomtom

» Poly based strut mounts on exchange
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 pm by xschop

» 18x10" Enkei wheels
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 pm by Sterling Doc

» Around the block
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 am by Red944ls1

» Cooling solutions please!
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 pm by yamamtx

» Holley intake, vacuum pump and cross member spacer
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 am by zeusrotty

» Sparkydog's Abnormal Build - 944 With L67 + Ford Stuff & CARB Legal
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm by sparkydog

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 am by haroldk

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Old pilot bearing, necesary to remove?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old pilot bearing, necesary to remove?

Post  Techno Duck on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Is it necesary to remove the old pilot bearing from the crank before putting in the adapter and new bearing? I dont think it is but want to make sure.

Tried to take it out and that sucker is in there good. Have used a blind hole puller with slide hammer with no luck. Dont want to use much more force on the slide hammer for fear of killing the main bearings. I can order a small pilot bearing puller to get it out but not sure if its even needed to take it out.

Also what is the preferred method to install the pilot bearing adapter, tap in the adapter first with block of wood, then bearing? Or put the bearing in the adapter first?

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Re: Old pilot bearing, necesary to remove?

Post  acorad on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:37 pm

I believe I've read that there is no reason to remove the stock bearing before installing the PB adapter, but I'm not 100% sure.

In fact, now that I'm thinking of it, when I was last messing with my clutch and tried to remove the new PB and/or PB adapter, I noticed some stuff that didn't make sense then, but now makes me think my stock bearing is still in there behind the PB adapter...

Anyway, I have seen videos on youtube where they squirt a bunch of grease inside the bearing's donut hole, and then hammer a bolt, or something, that just fits inside the bearing's donut hole, into the grease-filled hole, and the bearing pops out due to hydraulic pressure.
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:33 pm

I was going to do the grease / toliet paper / bread method but i read on LS1Tech there is a freeze plug at the end of the crank that could be moved doing it that way.

I gave it two solid shots with a slide hammer and it didnt even budge, dont want to put much more force on the crank.

I dont think it makes any difference if the bearing is still in place or not as the input shaft wont come close to touching it anyhow. I guess the only reason is to get rid of some rotating mass from the crank cyclops .

Just want to make sure though!

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Managed to get the pilot bearing out.

Armed with the blind hole puller and slide hammer, i used a can of compressed air and turned it upside down. Sprayed the pilot bearing to get it nice and cold. Then proceeded with the slide hammer, 4 whacks later and it was out Cool

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:59 pm

I read somewhere you don't want to do the wet paper method, the main seal is behind the bearing that can get damaged. On my engine there was no need to remove the original PB, it sat behind the PB adapter.
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top