944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
Where to source a new wiring harness? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Where to source a new wiring harness? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Where to source a new wiring harness? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Where to source a new wiring harness? EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Where to source a new wiring harness? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Where to source a new wiring harness? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am by gwistrup

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Where to source a new wiring harness? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

» WANTED: 948 Conversion Manual
Where to source a new wiring harness? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm by Elskeptico

» FS 1989 Transmission for 944
Where to source a new wiring harness? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 10:02 am by 87roadracer

» Honda k24 swap
Where to source a new wiring harness? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 6:00 am by 89EFhatch

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Where to source a new wiring harness?

+13
Gutterboy
shokwave30
kevin924kevin
Porschedoc
tkrame944
IFC Racing
Marky522
Rich L.
Admin
Techno Duck
Arthropraxis
rooster
docwyte
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Where to source a new wiring harness? Empty Where to source a new wiring harness?

Post  docwyte Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:42 pm

So mine got a bit fried in the engine fire I had yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm going to repair the one I have or simply replace it.

If I do decide to replace it, where's the best place to get a new one?

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Where to source a new wiring harness? Empty Re: Where to source a new wiring harness?

Post  rooster Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:26 am

Doc I'm sorry to hear about your fire, that sucks! What happened? Any thing the rest of us should look out for so we don't have a fire too?

Re your harness, www.car-part.com is where I got mine. It's a salvage yard search engine that will give you price and location of the part you want. I sent my harness to Admin and he modified it for the swap. There's always eBay, I see F body harnesses come up from time to time. I have no experience but I think some guys have had success with Sand and Street Performance, www.sspwiring.com. Apparently they will make you a custome LSX harness for your swap. Good luck getting the car back up and running.

rooster

Back to top Go down

Where to source a new wiring harness? Empty Re: Where to source a new wiring harness?

Post  Arthropraxis Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:38 am

It looks like his fuel inlet hose was a rubber high pressure fuel injector hose secured by a fuel injector clamp on a quick connect hose barb. It should be fine, maybe the clamps need to be checked after a few heat cycles to make sure they stay tight.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:02 am

Really happy with the standalone harness i got from PSI.

http://secure.ultracart.com/catalog/PSI

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:14 pm

That PSI harness looks nice, but it doesn't support any of the emissions stuff like the smog pump, which I need to have...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:37 pm

PSI is what I was going to suggest,but no they don't have any of the emission wiring on them.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Is SSP no longer recommended?

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:04 pm

Heard a few bad things, nothing that happened to me personally. I had one of my customers that bought an PSi harness, They sent us an LT instead of LS, right bag , wrong harness, They answered the phone late in the day, I thought they would be closed, then they over-nighted the replacement . Harness looks good and fit really well. A big plus over the last Painless harness that I got!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:22 pm

I was really happy with my Painless harness. Pricey, but the manual it came with was a great help.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 pm

If you source a harness I would be happy to modify it for your car. Depending on what harness you get depends on how much modificiation it would require. A corvette harness seems to work the best from the different ones I have seen due to the layout but would require additional wiring for your smog equipment. A truck harness would be the cheapest up front but would require about half the harness to be extended to locate it in the interior. I havent used a f-body harness so im not sure where they loctate the PCM. Let me know if you are interested, i did a harness for someone on here, but never heard anything back once they received it. I have done one for my 944, you can see pics in my thread. Also one for my S10 Blazer 5.3 swap, and both work great!

Mark

Marky522

Back to top Go down

Where to source a new wiring harness? Empty Possible Wiring Harness for LS3 Conversion.

Post  IFC Racing Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:43 pm

[quote="Rich L."]I was really happy with my Painless harness. Pricey, but the manual it came with was a great help.

Rich
Has anybody used GM'S stand alone wiring harness'es they supposingly come with everything needed to fire their new engs up and put it in anything.
Mike

IFC Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  tkrame944 Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Im really new to the world of wiring and i like the idea of a stand alone especially because i dont have any wiring at all. I have a 2000 corvette engine and am putting it in a 86 944, from psi what exactly do i need to buy to be ready to go?

tkrame944

Back to top Go down

Post  Porschedoc Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:36 am

tkrame944 wrote:Im really new to the world of wiring and i like the idea of a stand alone especially because i dont have any wiring at all. I have a 2000 corvette engine and am putting it in a 86 944, from psi what exactly do i need to buy to be ready to go?

I had ZERO wiring in my car as well (track car). I ordered the engine harness from SSP for my 5.3L. Came quickly, was plug and play, and the few wires I had to do myself were all labeled and easy with their instructions.

I obviously had to wire in all my gauges and the rest of the car on my own, but the engine portion of it was a breeze.

Porschedoc

http://www.rennsportkc.com

Back to top Go down

Where to source a new wiring harness? Empty wiring harness

Post  kevin924kevin Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 am

The stand alone GM ones are nice but they start at $1000.00, but this is complete from computers to throttle pedal (DBW), but plug and play.
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  tkrame944 Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:57 pm

When ordering the harness from what i have seen they ask for what transmission you have, like psi has a manual t56 or an auto option for the harness, which one do you go with?

tkrame944

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Just tell them that you're putting it in a Porsche and they'll pull out all the tranny wiring that you don't need.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  tkrame944 Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Ok and thats from ssp. Sounds like im making it harder then it needs to be. Anything else i should know when buying a harness?

tkrame944

Back to top Go down

Post  shokwave30 Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:45 pm

instead of starting a new thread figure ill ask here..  has anybody used this place for a harness?

http://www.bp-automotive.com/LS1_Wiring__Harness.html
shokwave30
shokwave30

Back to top Go down

Post  tkrame944 Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:14 am

Ive never heard of them but they are way more expencive then sand and street where i got mine.

tkrame944

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:48 am

I got mine from PSI, they were great! Shipped it right out and it was a very high quality harness.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  shokwave30 Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:55 pm

i checked ls1 tech and a lot of guys use the harness from that link. i called the guy today and talked to him for about 20 minutes. i think im gonna go with his and ill let u all know how it goes.
shokwave30
shokwave30

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:04 am

We buy from PSI , like Doc said, We are also a dealer for them as well. Let me know if you need pricing.
Why pay more to experiment? We all know PSI works

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Where to source a new wiring harness? Empty opinions on re-used harnesses

Post  Gutterboy Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:10 am

saw the latest ad for conversion parts by another member and his painless harness caught my eye.

i got the ratty wiiring and computer with my ls1 when i bought it, but it's already been through an rx-7 conversion in a previous life and i have no idea what has been ripped or cut apart on it. haven't had time to stare at it for a bit to check it's integrity or completeness since i am preoccupied with the dropping the 944 block first. figured i would take the part i know the least on first (the mechanical) since electrical is my background and reading a schematic is more in my comfort zone.

So my question is to the wiser ones who have been through this already a few times; is it worth saving the dollars and combing through the ratty beat up harness to make it work and add whatever is missing if it even is missing? or is it just a safer bet to save myself some pain and headache and get a psi harness? there's enough hours to go into these type of conversions without tediously having to redo a whole harness if it's too short or missing things, just wondering what the consensus is on using the old harness as opposed to new. trying to err on plug and play and less headache than making a mega project even more mega...

Since i obviously don't need the transmission wiring for the 4l60e or t56, any idea if they charge less for not needing those wires if it does make sense to just buy new?

Thanks in advance,
Gutterboy
Gutterboy

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:40 am

If you already have a harness why not go thru it? Grab a beer, a schematic and relax and start ripping all that electrical tape off. Extending the wires is not difficult if you need to; just use a soldering gun and heat shrink tubing. I think it took me 4hrs to go thru and make my harness. If it's already been thru a conversion I bet most of the work is already done; you'll just need to verify everything. Mark all the wires and tape it back up when your done...
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Where to source a new wiring harness? Empty Harness

Post  simon123 Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:04 am

SSP wiring do an awesome job, get the black "show" covering makes the job look very professional.
They can also re-program your computer to remove unwanted items.
I'm not associated with them just a satisfied customer.

simon123

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum