HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Today at 9:38 am by chrenan

» Oil Cooler Adapter Not Working?
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 pm by sharkey

» 1987 944S 3800 L67 Turbo...in progress
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm by Sirayden

» C6 Z06 Brakes on my 944
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 am by Schuepbach

» sbc swap in a 1981 924
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 pm by sharkey

» JP's LS1 Conversion
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm by 924sbc406

» Cayenne Front and Rear Brakes on 944
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:15 pm by superman22x

» Scca Xp solo build
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:55 pm by yamamtx

» Steering rack clearance
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 am by remaxagent33

» Does anyone have a QuickTime bellhousing for sale?
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:54 pm by zeusrotty

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Oil cooler where intercooler was?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oil cooler where intercooler was?

Post  rooster on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:35 am

I've decided to run a long stacked plate style oil cooler instead of the tube and fin type based on the recommendation of BAT in FL. It would be pretty slick if I could mount it where the old intercooler used to sit. Has anyone mounted their oil cooler here? Any possible down sides to doing it this way?

Thanks.

rooster

Back to top Go down

Re: Oil cooler where intercooler was?

Post  948 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:50 am

That is a good location, very high pressure. You will have modify the old inter-cooler duct to seal on to the face of the oil cooler for it to work properly. I would also suggest that you place a check valve on the supply line so that the oil doesn't drain back into the sump after the engine is shut off.

I happen to have a second radiator in that location......I am using the stock 951 oil cooler in its original location.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:02 pm

That's where I've located my Earl's 4x14 cooler. It fits nicely and I've ducted it to a 924t nose panel. But I am not getting great cooling from it, temps were exceeding 250 at the track last weekend on an 80 degree day. This may be due to not getting a lot of fresh air from the vents. It may also be due to being mounted with the inlet/outlet pointed down, which is not recommended. Earl's wants you to point them up or best is to the side. I've not figured out a way to do that in the intercooler location.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I originally tried a tube&fin cooler from an RX7 FC but found the pressure drop to be almost 10 PSI. It fit perfectly and cooled great, but I just wasn't comfortable with having less than 10 PSI / RPM. Apparently the RX7 oil pump put out 90 PSI to compensate.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:48 pm

I ordered a Seatrab oil cooler this morning from BAT for placement under the nose panel. I went with part # A15F22L, the dimensions are 16x4.5x2 (core width is 14.5"). The biggest restriction under the nose panel is height, depending how you place it the most space you have i measured at around 5", if you push it back you can get it to overhang the radiator a little bit to give you more space. I couldnt find any oil coolers much wider than 16". I was hoping one of the 911 oil coolers would fit (the type they fit in the forward wheel wells) but they are too tall unless you cut out the crossmember.. the core is nice a big though; 22.5x6.25x2 or 281" cubed.

I am hoping this size cooler will be adequte enough for track use. If you figure the aproximate dimensions of a stock cooler are 6x3.75x3 that makes the cooling surface around 67.5" cubed. This Seatrab cooler should be around 130".

For ducting i am going to reuse the intercooler shroud and just extend it back with some aluminum sheeting.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:44 pm

I have a Mocal 11x7x3 mounted parallel to the ground below the passenger fog light hole. Then I have ducting from the passenger fog light that forces the air down and through the cooler.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:23 pm

I've posted this before, and will again, consider buying the CXracing coolers from ebay. They are very well made and at less than half the cost of Setrab and other brand name coolers. I've bought two different oil coolers and two intercoolers from them, all worked well.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 pm

I'd like to see someone try one of these from an LS7 Vette. The core is supposed to be 11" x 4" x 2". Not cheap, but could work out well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:00 pm

Ouch! $517 for the LS7 cooler. I think that would work great though in place of the intercooler, plus the fittings on the end would make it easier to just run bulkhead fittings through the sheet metal. I guess one way you could look at it it is its about the same price as two oil coolers if the one i bought isnt enough!

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Uh, I might've gotten those dimensions wrong. Another source shows 22"x6". I'm not sure it'd fit within the 944's sheet metal.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

AC Delco Part Number 25857216

Post  87-944S on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Here's one listed for the 2008 and up 6.2L Vette, RockAuto $172.69 it looks closer to the dimensions you posted Rich.

87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  rooster on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks for the feedback. I've got an Earl's 13x3x2 and I'm wondering if that will be a bit too small based on what you guys have. I can step up to 14x4 like Rich but may have problems fitting it where the intercooler was if I keep the inlet/outlets pointing up. Hmmm.

I know that putting it directly in front of the radiator will add heat to the radiator but can someone explain why putting it where the intercooler was is any better? It would certainly be a lot easier to mount it low in front of the radiator. Please school me on this one.

CXRacing does have some great prices, thanks for the tip Lemming.

rooster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 pm

I had a big oil cooler mounted right in front of my Griffin radiator. Oil stayed nice and cool (220), but water temp was too high for me (230). The oil cooler covered nearly 40% of the radiator surface and it was blocking it too much. I have since gone to a smaller oil cooler (16 row) and it remains in front of the radiator but moved forward about 2 inches to allow better flow to the rad. I've not tried the new setup yet, will be at Barber in 10 days and will post my results afterward.

Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  948 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:16 pm

rooster wrote:I know that putting it directly in front of the radiator will add heat to the radiator but can someone explain why putting it where the intercooler was is any better? It would certainly be a lot easier to mount it low in front of the radiator. Please school me on this one.
You have answered your own question....placing any radiator in the nose section, where the intercooler used to, be will not place any more heat load on the primary radiator. As i mentioned before that area has a good amount of air pressure when the car is moving; enough that air was easily pushed through a 5" thick intercooler! If need be you could double up on the oil coolers, there is plenty of space longitudinally.

Back to top Go down

Post  rooster on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:04 am

948 - thanks for clearing that up, I was not thinking straight. Since I don't have any of the front bumper, ducts, etc. on the car right now I completely forgot that the intercooler area is sectioned off from the radiator by a plastic duct therefore its technically not in front of the radiator.
My Oil cooler/thermostat and lines are all mounted up! Next on the list is plumbing up my radiator/heater lines and hooking up the vacuum lines. This monday the car goes in for headers and exhaust. With any luck I'll be driving in a few weeks Very Happy

rooster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Sounds like it's going well, rooster. Can you post pics of how your cooler mounting turned out. I'd like to see yours too, TechnoDuck. I don't see any cooler pics in your build thread.

I scored a used z06 cooler pretty cheap. I'm going to experiment with mounting it up top and down in front of the rad like Lemming's setup. Hope that works out at Barber, Tim. Good luck!

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:59 pm

Just got the cooler earlier this afternoon. I will try and do a quick mock up under the nose panel on sunday.. too many mosquito's out now and ill be at ALMS tomorrow Smile.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  948 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:37 pm

Techno Duck wrote:and ill be at ALMS tomorrow Smile.
Mad can't go this year Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Here are some shots of the Seatrab oil cooler mocked up under the nose panel. Sorry for the not so clear pictures, the sun was right overhead and i am pretty sure the light sensor on my camera was probably being totally overwhelmed, it was so bright out i could barely make out what i was doing.

With the cooler sitting ontop of the crossbar, i think it should still fit under the nose panel even with the banjo inlet / outlet fittings on. It will be close, but i think it should be enough.

The other option is to mount the cooler to the upper radiator / hood support frame. I have the cooler inplace with the fittings facing down, but even with the fittings facing upwards there is plenty of space.

Not quite sure yet how i will mount it, but ive got a few options. I figure i will try and mount it slightly canted on the crossbar if i can get the nose panel to clear.. this way will also make adding ducting in a little easier from the original intercooler shroud. Ill figure it out when i get home again in August.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:48 pm

This is how i set mine up when i had it installed (you can just barely see it).

I ended up never using it because i honestly don't need it. If anyone wants to buy an oil cooler with all the brackets used for < 100 miles, you know who to PM Smile
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  rooster on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Sorry Rich, the car went to the exhaust/header guy before I could take any pictures. For now I just have it in front of the radiator until I get my front bumper cover back from the paint shop. Once I have it in place I'll most likely do something similar to what Technoduck did. It's a waste of time unless I have the bumper cover there so I can mock up the ducting that it will require. I'll post pics of the finished product.

rooster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:17 am

The Z06 cooler fit! I'll be testing it at the track this weekend.

Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Conclusion: 220+ F water temps, oil cooler blocks too much airflow to the radiator. Sad

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:22 pm

I'd be happy to see 220F water temps!

docwyte

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top