944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Just when you think you're all done! EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Just when you think you're all done! EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Just when you think you're all done! EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Just when you think you're all done! EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Just when you think you're all done! EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Just when you think you're all done! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Just when you think you're all done! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Just when you think you're all done! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Just when you think you're all done! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Just when you think you're all done! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Just when you think you're all done!

5 posters

Go down

Just when you think you're all done! Empty Just when you think you're all done!

Post  spence Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:43 pm

I've put around 1000kms on my car since finishing it last summer. I've traced down all the little leaks; replaced all the wheel bearings, removed the rear CV's and put new grease in them and now I'm having gear engagement problems. Just when you think you're all done!!

I've bled the clutch, adjusted the pedal, removed the "helper spring" and checked the linkage. All that did nothing (I've got a very nice feeling pedal though... lol). It was shifting fine until yesterday; it showed up out of no where. When the car is in neutral with the pedal in; I can't turn the drive shaft like I used to be able to do. So I have a clutch problem..... Great the engine is coming out once again!!!!!!! Mad

I'm thinking its the pressure plate not releasing? Is there any way to tell if its any good when its out of the car?
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Just when you think you're all done! Empty Re: Just when you think you're all done!

Post  Arthropraxis Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:34 pm

If you have the two piece bell housing, take the bottom off and see if the slave is leaking. Mine is after only 200mi. It is wet on the bottom but nothing leaking under the car that I can see. It would be easier to drop the transmission and pull the TT back vs pulling the motor, IMO.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Just when you think you're all done! Empty Re: Just when you think you're all done!

Post  spence Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:51 pm

I've got a 1pc. bell housing; but I did feel up as far as I could with my fingers and I didn't feel any fluid. Also, I've lost no clutch fluid and I've got good pedal pressure. I think its the pressure plate

Ya, I think you may be right about pulling the transmission and doing it that way. I've spent too much time laying things out to rip it all apart.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Not totally sure but it would seem to me that the clutch disc is/may be "dragging" or hung-up on the splines of the TT shaft. You may try loosening the rear coupler and (for lack of a better word) prying the driveshaft forward to see if that free's it.

Check the clutch pedal pushrod for deformation and full piston travel...it may feel fine but not travel enough.

Regardless, you'll want to do some investigative work before pulling the engine out. The worst thing would be to take it all apart hastily and not find anything apparently wrong (which is what I've done on a regular basis).

I feel your pain though trust me. pale

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Mon May 07, 2012 5:11 pm

I rented a video inspection camera from home depot to see inside the bellhousing. Everything appears like its working like it should. I've got to buy one of those things! I also did what 944-LT1 suggested and undid the rear coupler and pried the drive shaft forward. It did free it up some; but it is very hard to turn. I'm not quite sure what happened; it used to turn so easily.

spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Tue May 08, 2012 2:09 pm

That camera's cool but it sucks you're having this trouble. I had this trouble initially. The way I tested this was to have the rear of the car off the ground with the engine running, clutch pedal fully depressed and I'd shift into a gear. If the clutch wasn't released the rear wheels would be spun up by the synchro. I found that 1/4" of slave travel wasn't enough but 3/8" was. I had to go up one size in master cylinder to get enough but that's with a pedal box. Any way you can measure the amount of travel you're getting?

If the clutch disk is releasing, the only thing left is the pilot bearing. Perhaps it's frozen or binding. Can you tell if your transmission mount slipped or broke? This could put the driveshaft into bind at the pilot bearing. If that's fine, you could try re-centering the torque tube adapter. I did this by loosening the 4 tt to bh nuts and the 5 bh to block bolts and starting the engine for a moment to center things and then re-tightened.

G'luck Man.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue May 08, 2012 3:22 pm

When my first PP broke on a high rpm shift, the pedal would not depress. Make sure you have no cracks in your BH. I saw your gallery with the modded truck BH and 2 adapter palates.....cutting into thin cast alloy easily causes stress cracks, especially 150Lb tranny on a 6 ft lever.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Tue May 08, 2012 4:10 pm

I have the car up on jack stands now. With the engine running, I can shift into any gear with no problem. The wheels dont spin with the clutch depressed when the car is in gear. From the looks of the video I took, it looks like im getting about 1/2" of travel on the throwout bearing.

I think I found my problem!! The bolts at the torque tube to bellhousing adapter where loose!! That would definitely bind things up... Thanks Rich for the suggestions.

spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 am

That's great news! Don't you love it when you find a smoking gun? I think I'll get under mine and put a wrench on those bolts too.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum