944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Similar topics
Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question

4 posters

Go down

5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question Empty 5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question

Post  968gene Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:16 pm

Has anyone reversed the intake and ran the car in that configuration? If so, can you post a picture of how you plumbed the air filter etc.? Better yet, if anyone plans on running the 5.3/LS Intake configuration and could draw a quick template on where the intake "hits" the firewall (if it were reversed and a straight tube extended directly to the firewall) I'd like a copy. I'd like to have the hole cut and air box made prior to paint and also avoid having to drop the engine in to get the measurement. Thanks.
BTW, its a track car and the heater/AC blower has been deleted.
968gene
968gene

Back to top Go down

5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question Empty Re: 5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question

Post  Johnny Johnny Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Here's my 5.3l with an LS2 intake.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The mounting flange for the throttle body is 95mm from the firewall. The left/right edges of the thottle body flange are 645mm from where the edge of the hood meets the fender. The top of the flange is 50mm below the top of the firewall (where the rubber weatherstrip is), and the bottom of the flange is 160mm. Depending on what intake you are using, these dimensions may change, but it should get you going.

If you want a diagram of it, let me know.

JJ

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question Empty This is perfect!

Post  968gene Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:15 pm

Yes, I'd like a diagram. I have found a L33 and I'm getting closer!
Thanks!
BTW, is your crossmember lowered or stock? What is the hood clearance? XSChop had plenty of room on his.
968gene
968gene

Back to top Go down

5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question Empty lookin good

Post  xschop Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:08 pm

That looks familiar. Smile
If building a track car, I would get rid of the blower and do the same. Moving the TB to the rear saves another 3/4 to 1" hood clearance up front. My plan is to get the engine as low as possible by xmember drop rather than lowering the springs.
Hey JJ, can you post pics/details of your fuel set-up. That's next on the hit-list for me after the headers and Dual MC housing are put to bed.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:04 am

Fuel's easy.

I took out the original pump and filter near the tank, and replaced them with a Bosch 044 pump. I've used a Corvette C5 filter/FPR at the firewall where the cruise control servo was mounted. I just used the original fuel hardlines, and tied those into the inlet/return ports on the one side of the FPR. The single outlet on the other side goes into the fuel rails. I think I'll just use the standard disconnects on the hose. Just beware that the hardpipe on this side uses a non-standard o-ring, so be sure to get the right one.

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:09 am

968gene wrote:Yes, I'd like a diagram. I have found a L33 and I'm getting closer!
Thanks!
BTW, is your crossmember lowered or stock? What is the hood clearance? XSChop had plenty of room on his.

Still working on the diagram for you.

I've left my crossmember in the stock location. Here you can see the hood interference. I've cut a hole in the hood, and will be using a fibreglass SRT8-style bulge on it to clear the throttle body. If you lower your crossmember like xschop you won't need to do this. Call me crazy - I like the look of the bulge, I think it matches the flared fenders, boxed rockers, rear under-spoiler, etc.

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question Empty Rubbers

Post  xschop Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:40 am

Are you just going to cut the factory rubber lines inside the bay and use screw clamps on tubing inserts?
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  968gene Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:21 am

So, with the intake reversed, crossmember in the stock location, how much of a bulge would be needed, if any at all?
Is it correct to assume that an LS1 or LS4 intake has a lower profile than the LS2?
Sorry for all of the questions.
Gene
968gene
968gene

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:25 am

Diagram for cutting firewall to support reversed LS1, LS2 or LS6 intake manifold/throttle body. It is assumed that the crossmember is in the factory location (i.e. not dropped). The actual hole itself can be cut to whatever diameter you want, as long as it allows the intake pipe to pass through it. Also need to keep in mind MAF location, if you're using one.

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:29 am

New fuel-injection-rated rubber lines from the quick-disconnects/90* pieces. I use 2 clamps on each connection, one on the inside of the "bump" and one on the outside. I've also read that you can use the plastic tubing that GM uses, just soften it in hot water and push them on. When they cool, they shrink tightly around the barb. Kind of a like a semi-rigid line. Might try this as well - I don't really like rubber lines, even if they are fuel-injection rated.

xschop wrote:Are you just going to cut the factory rubber lines inside the bay and use screw clamps on tubing inserts?

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question Empty intake angle

Post  xschop Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:52 am

My LS1 intake Throttle body mount sticks straight out, no angle.
In your pic JJ, looks like 2 metal tubing lines that are barbed. Is this what they look like when the factory rubber lines are cut off/stripped?
Also what is another alternative to the Fuel injection rated lines?
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:00 am

I was looking at the fuel filter hose connections that you have made. I maybe wrong about your filter that you are using, But the one that I used looks just like that and the main feed line does not go into the middle . It is on the side and the return is the one in the middle. I learned the hard way Shocked

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:47 am

I know - they're not actually hooked up to the Porsche hard lines yet. Probably just the way they look in the pic.

Admin wrote:I was looking at the fuel filter hose connections that you have made. I maybe wrong about your filter that you are using, But the one that I used looks just like that and the main feed line does not go into the middle . It is on the side and the return is the one in the middle. I learned the hard way Shocked

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post  968gene Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:01 pm

The LS2 intake angle is great news. This allows for the TB/intake plumbing to miss the pinch weld in the firewall. MAF and filter location/combination is the next hurdle. Thanks again JJ.
968gene
968gene

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:14 pm

xschop wrote:My LS1 intake Throttle body mount sticks straight out, no angle.
In your pic JJ, looks like 2 metal tubing lines that are barbed. Is this what they look like when the factory rubber lines are cut off/stripped?
Also what is another alternative to the Fuel injection rated lines?

Do you mean the Porsche lines? They're not barbed, just the push on variety (with a raised "flare" about 1" in). I've just been reading up on the plastic fuel lines that GM is using. FSAE rules do not allow plastic lines, as there is a fire hazard with them melting and/or getting brittle. I tend to agree, so I'm going to remove these and go with fuel injection-specific rubber until I figure out some better solution.

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:17 pm

968gene wrote:So, with the intake reversed, crossmember in the stock location, how much of a bulge would be needed, if any at all?
Is it correct to assume that an LS1 or LS4 intake has a lower profile than the LS2?
Sorry for all of the questions.
Gene

I'll have to disassemble my intake again and see what the interference is, if any. I believe the LS1, LS2, LS4 and LS6 intakes are the same height. LS2 and LS6 (?) intakes have the angled throttle body flange. Truck manifolds are very tall with very long runners, so unless you want to make gobs of torque up to 4500rpm, don't even think about them.

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Johnny Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:19 pm

968gene wrote:The LS2 intake angle is great news. This allows for the TB/intake plumbing to miss the pinch weld in the firewall. MAF and filter location/combination is the next hurdle. Thanks again JJ.

Are you using an LS2 intake like me? I bought a used TPIS 90mm throttle body off of a guy on LS1Tech, and also sourced a big z06 MAF from there as well. I might have smaller cubes, but with my z06 cam and springs, and 799 casting heads, it'll breath!

Johnny Johnny

Back to top Go down

5.3/LS Reversed Intake Question Empty RE: 5.3/LS REVERSED INTAKE QUESTION

Post  968gene Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:29 pm

I am trying to nail down a deal on a L33. THe plan seems to be the L33, an LS2 intake, high RPM cam, and springs. Since i will be road racing, there should be enough low end torque and the ability to make enough HP at the top end. I am also considering a 4800 crank to de-stroke the motor. Any thoughts on that?
968gene
968gene

Back to top Go down