HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» WRL Race car for sale - '87 924S with LS swap
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:29 am by cscowden

» New convert under way
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:39 pm by kevin924kevin

»  A/C questions
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 pm by Arthropraxis

» Corvette C6 Z06 Brake Caliper Adapters
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 pm by superman22x

» Cayenne Front and Rear Brakes on 944
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:00 pm by superman22x

» Parting out 944 Turbo with LS1
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 am by rfreundt

» 944 LS1 race car part out
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:00 am by rfreundt

» Steering shaft short
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 pm by racertomtom

» Steering rack clearance
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:32 pm by Hotrodz of Dallas

» What Intake Elbow to Use ?
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:30 pm by remaxagent33

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Techno Duck's LS1 conversion

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Techno Duck's LS1 conversion

Post  944convert on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Tehone wrote:
Between the .700" and the .750" (as the next larger bore diameter with the 1.4" stroke) would there be a difference in pedal feel?
I'm guessing about 7% to 8% lighter...but I didn't compare the .700 MC to a 3/4" MC

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  948inVA on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Any updates?
948inVA

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Cant believe its been 6 months since i last posted!

Unfortunately no progress has been made on the car. Really busy this year due to work and the shop the car is at had a backlog of work. Stopped by on monday to talk with them, car should be on a lift by next weekend. Really hoping its ready to go by the time i get back in late May.. had alot of stuff i wanted to do in June that sorta requires the car!

Hopefully ill be able to post some progress updates in the coming weeks.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Thu May 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Ive got a few days off finally to put towards this project. I am going to be helping out on some areas of the swap when i can to hopefully make things go a bit smoother. The shop has the engine almost ready to install, there is one minor clearance issues around the header and upright on the passenger side. I am going to play around with the upright a little to see if i can get any adjustment out of it, otherwise im thinking some slight grinding may work on the upright. Any suggestions on this?

Tomorrow i am going to work on the hydroboost setup. Gotta thread the pushrod for the clevis and get the hydroboost unit off the Ford mounting bracket. Then probably will mount the adapter plate from xschop on the firewall.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Thu May 23, 2013 7:57 pm

I wouldnt grind the upright... I would dent the header a bit with a ballpeen.
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Fri May 24, 2013 6:58 am

If you enlarge the holes on the upright a bit, it might slide forward just enough.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis on Fri May 24, 2013 7:36 am

I know it will be a pain, but wait until everything is bolted up in the engine bay to see what other clearance issues may be there. You may find it necessary to make other changes. It is easier to make them all at once than one at a time. The steering intermediate shaft is another issue that may need to be worked around and you won't know that for sure without installing the motor first.
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri May 24, 2013 7:54 am

Yes you need to put the motor in the car then check for clearance issues. Every set of my headers are built and test fit in a car with a mock up motor in place. Things fit differently in the car than on a stand or on the floor, that is not how they are designed.....

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Fri May 24, 2013 8:29 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ill worry about it when it comes time to test fit the engine. I figure the engine will go in and come out alteast one when checking the driveshaft engagement in the pilot bearing and seeing if the Borgensen u-joints need to be modified any.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Wed May 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Some progress with the hydroboost setup; i threaded the push rod the other day using some helpful info fliermike posted in an older thread. It was a major PITA! The first inch or so of the push rod is flat and also not totally concentric, so it took a bit of trial and error grinding / reshaping so i could run the die down.

I test fit everything today on the car, mostly to finalize the position and angle of the hydroboost unit. I have one minor clearance issue with the barbed outlet fitting touching one of the a/c hardlines, making it so i cant rotate the hydroboost unit totally upright. I am going to change this out to a low profile (and probably right angle) fitting. For future reference, interestingly enough everything on my hydroboost is metric except this barbed outlet fitting which is a o-ring boss 5/16-24.

The other issue is the hydroboost unit sits a bit too far to the drivers side of the car, so the push rod / clevis does not perfectly line up with the pedal. Its off by probably less than 1/4 of an inch. I am going to try making the mounting holes on the plate into an oval to try and slide the plate over enough tomorrow.

The mounting angle and everything else looks good though. Once i get this all sorted out, it will be time to test fit the engine so we can verify driveshaft engagement, engine fitment with the hydroboost and also make adjustments to the uprights to try and gain some more clearance around the headers.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed May 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Yes it does sit 1/4" to the driver's side of the car. It is done to give you extra room for valve cover clearance, just cut off one of the legs of the clevis, then bolt the clevis to the brake pedal. It will fit and give good alignment for the push rod. You will also need to drill the pedal just above the factory hole. The hydro boost push rod has to go straight in, it cannot have any angle to it or it will bind. I have done a ton of these this way. I use a 3/8" bolt and a nylon lock nut to bolt the clevis to the pedal. You can adjust the tension on the pedal. Also you can use a nylon washer between the pedal arm and the clevis for squeak free movement.
Dang, you guy's are making me give away all my install secrets! Cool

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks for the tips Eric Very Happy .

So based on my drawing in crayon, i take it this is the general idea?

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert on Thu May 30, 2013 6:20 am

as viewed from the firewall looking at the back of the brake pedal.

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu May 30, 2013 7:59 am

yep!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:01 am

Despite only being able to open the door about a foot due to the way its positioned on the lift, im quite happy with the hydroboost fitment now, just hope everything fits with the engine in place!

Monday's plan is to finish adding heatshielding to the firewall, just need to do some on the passenger side and cover up the drivers side castor block mounting point.

Hopefully can test fit the engine before the end of the week, time at home is running out and probably wont be home till late July. Suspect

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  rooster on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:41 am

Nice progress! I noticed you are using the Borgsen steering joints; in case you were not aware you will need to clearance the inside radius of each joint otherwise they will bind. I may be the only one who was not aware of this before I installed everything and had to take the steering shaft back out - with the motor, headers etc in the way. YMMV. Keep going, you'll be driving it soon and smiling from ear to ear!

rooster

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:18 am

rooster, thanks for the reminder. I have one of your old threads bookmarked about having to do this. Any pictures from when you modified the joint? Just curious as to how much ill need to grind down.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  rooster on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:26 am

Sorry Techno I don't have any pics. I took the joints and moved them in all directions to see where they stopped or where the inner joint hits the outer. Once you do that you can see where you need to grind away some material to give the joint more 'bend' or flexibility. I hope that makes sense. I think xschop might have posted a diagram of the clearance needed. I can't find it right now however.....

rooster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Thought I had read about how much was taken off but only found remove enough to eliminate any binding.

I do recall fliermike and xschop came across this issue and they may have some after photos.

If this will help:

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:46 pm

hey techno duck,
did you replace any bearings on your motor? I too purchased a cam from eps.
ty sam

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Did not replace any bearings, the motor had around 58k miles on it so i didnt think it needed it. The cam carrier bearings all looked good when i inspected them.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:53 pm

Some updates..

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  DJ. on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:31 pm

very nice!
Are those headers from tpc?

DJ.

Back to top Go down

Crossmember

Post  gdopnt on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:31 pm

techno.
I see your spacers, your lower a arms appear to be in the factory location.
ty
sam

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:50 pm

DJ, the headers are the TPC long tubes coated by Swaintech. Fitment was really good, lots of space around them. I was really surprised how much space there is around the engine bay now!

gdopnt, the spacers are in. I had them powder coated black so a little harder to see.

In talking with the shop doing the work, i think so far the most problematic area has been getting the hydroboost setup. I can tell you threading that push rod and setting up the mounting plate were a pain. The shop did the final mounting, including torquing the giant nut on the back and they said many swears were said during that process Smile. Everything is mounted right now, so i think we are past the worst of it. I just need measure the brake lines tomorrow to make sure i am ordering the right fittings for everything.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top