HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Today at 9:28 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» Standalone Fuel Pump Relay. What to do with DME?
Yesterday at 1:14 pm by sharkey

» Rebuilt engine threw three rods
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:08 pm by Rich L.

» What Intake Elbow to Use ?
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 pm by Rich L.

» Anyone done an LS4?
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm by sharkey

» Selling my 1986 Porsche 951 LS1 :(
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am by Luke714

» Where are all the action shots
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 pm by Red944ls1

» majormojo's LY6 swap
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:09 pm by chrenan

» MSD Distributor Hookup
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 pm by mred2nice

» V8 Conversion Parts
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 am by jshprd

November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Techno Duck's LS1 conversion

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Techno Duck's LS1 conversion

Post  Techno Duck on Thu May 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Will be flying down to Houston sometime in the next day or two to head back to work. Wish i had another week or so at home to get started on things! Ive got all the parts now needed to get the motor together. Just need to drop the heads off at the machine shop when i get home. So this project will be on pause until sometime in June when i get home again.

The last bit of progress made was painting the valve covers flat black.. Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sun May 27, 2012 11:56 am

Got TPC's long tubes back from SwainTech a few days ago Smile. Still stuck in the gulf for a few more weeks though Sad

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  948 on Mon May 28, 2012 10:29 am

Techno Duck wrote:Got TPC's long tubes back from SwainTech a few days ago
How much did the coating cost?

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Mon May 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Came out to $347 shipped back to me, i figure shipping was around $30-40 so i would guess right around $300 for the coating alone. Actually ended up being much cheaper than i was anticipating (thankfully!).

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  948inVA on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:35 pm

I'm jealous.. so what was the turnaround time at swaintech? Also I'm surprised you didn't go with the v-bands.
948inVA

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Turn around was about 4 weeks, spring is the most busy time of year they said. I had another set coated last winter that only took 2 weeks. Decided to skip the v-bands as I never had much luck getting them to seal in personal experience. In dealing with the two annoying 3 bolt flanges for the crossover / headers I figure these will be easy!

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:06 pm

Finally have some free time to keep working on things. Started working on getting the motor back together and ready to go. Resealed the valley cover and cleaned up the deck. Still need to finish cleaning out the holes for the cylinder head studs. It was really nice not to be scraping off old paper gasket fused to the block like on the original 2.5L!

I am shooting to have the motor pretty much ready to go before the end of the weekend.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  ZNix on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:52 am

Being the stickler I am for details.. Take some alcohol and clean up those pistons please Very Happy.

Nix

ZNix

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm

I used to wonder how other people take years to finish a project but i am starting to see why! Not sure where all the time goes. Only managed to get the motor about 1/2 disassembled. My time off got cut short so things are on hold yet again until August when i get home again.

Got my heads back from the machine shop, basically just cleaned up and rebuilt with the dual valve springs. The pressure plate and flywheel are still waiting to get balanced, but the machinist i usually goto has been out since the 4th of July.. i have a feeling he may have drank too much Laughing .

Crank pulley bolt took some serious leverage to get off, had to slip a piece of chain link fence post over the breaker bar. Had to use a breaker bar on the puller also to get the damper off the crank... that sucker was on tight!

Amazing how simple this motor is! I was going to install the new cam and put on the new sprockets / timing chain but decided to hold off till i get back. I ordered the wrong chain damper. Strange thing is i need the cheaper LS2 style chain damper with the shorter bolt spacing. I figured being that i have an LS6 block i would have needed the LS6 damper. Not a bad thing because the LS2 style damper is like $15 vs the LS6 damper which is about $100! Didnt want to leave the motor with everything half assembled so figured i wait till i get back and have the right parts.

So with that said if you need / want an LS6 style damper let me know.. id be willing to sell for $80 shipped. They are still available from Katech (though NLA from GM) for $95.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Other than that i have the head bolt holes all cleaned out and the deck is pretty much all cleaned up. I have been day dreaming alot about driving this car again with the LS in it..hopefully things go smoothly when i get home and can get the car shipped to TPC before the end of August.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:39 am

Finally have the motor all disassembled with the exception of the rear timing cover. Took the oil pump, pan, pickup tube and timing set out. Getting the sprocket off the crank was a bit of a pain, all the pullers i have had arms that were too thick to fit around the sprocket, got lucky with a slide hammer i have (Harbor Freight!) that had 3 puller arms that fit perfectly and could be used with a 3-jaw puller.

Took the lifters and trays out also to prepare for the new cam install.

The old... everything will be replaced on the front half of the motor. Katech blue printed oil pump, LS2 chain damper, LS2 timing chain, new sprockets, ARP hardware, new cam retainer plate, EPS spec'ed cam, LS7 lifters and new trays. Just waiting for some cam assembly lube to come in from Summit, then i can finally start putting everything together. You can spot some of the stuff my friend is working on in the picture also for his LS3 swap.. electric booster, a/c lines and a few mounting plates for the booster / clutch master... Smile. I am taking the easy way out and will be shipping to TPC!

Progress has been really slow and i think i may have to push back things a bit further, just bought a new pickup so i need to let things settle down $$ wise.

Got the heads back from my local machine shop and the clutch / pressure plate balanced as well. So basically i have all the parts, just need the time now!

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Not sure where the past two weeks went, but havent had time to do anything!

Was able to put in a few hours today though..

Pressed on the new crank sprocket, used a piece of threaded rod, some nuts and a few washers. Originally bought these parts to press on the harmonic balance but worked just as well with the sprocket.

EPS 226/230 cam ready to go

New cam sprocket and LS2 timing chain

Katech blue printed pump with the LS2 chain damper. Couldnt believe how easy it was to get the timing set..no crazy tools or having to anticipate where the cam will roll when you put tension on the belt Cool .

I fitted the new pickup tube but had a minor clearance issue with the GTO windage tray. Had to trim a very small portion off to make it fit without rubbing. Nothing 30 seconds with a buzz saw couldnt handle.

Initial fit,

And with a small notch cutout for clearance..

You can see only a tiny portion of the windage tray needed to be cut off.

Kudos to TPC for a well made pickup tube, i was really happy with the fitment. I was surprised that was all that needed to be done to make it fit.. i am so used to the trial and error fitment of other parts which takes forever.

Tomorrow is the last day ill have to work on it until September, hoping to get the oil pan and the timing covers back on.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:35 pm

The sea beckons again, have to head back a little earlier than anticipated so it kinda messed things up today. Only had time to fit the pickup tube and the windage tray.

Plenty of clearance now..

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Cant believe its been a month since i last worked on this. But made some good progress today, got the stuff i was a little nervous about all out of the way.

Fitted the front timing cover. I was nervous about getting the alignment correct but it wasnt too difficult. I pressed on the hub for the ATI damper and used that to help align the front cover. The book says the 'step' between the pan and front cover should be less than .020". With the cover aligned, i measurd it at being less than .005".

McMaster Carr special damper install tool..

Can just barely make out the gap between the block and cover for the oil pan gasket sealing surface.

Took the block off the stand so i could clean the back up and get the rear cover lined up also..

The rear timing cover was a little more difficult to get lined up, but i managed to get the 'steps' under .013" on one side and right around .014" on the other side. Took some time to get it that close, but i think this should be good.

Bottom end is ready for the oil pan finally.

Test fitted the pan, looks good!

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Got the oil pan on and damper assembled today;

Red RTV silicone on the corners of the block where the timing covers meet the block.

Pan torqued down

Realized that i had forgotten to slide the a/c pulley over the hub for the damper. Had to pull the hub off, then repress it on. Wont make that mistake ever again!

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Motor is about 90% done at this point, just a few things left i didnt have time to finish. Time off got cut short as usual, back to the gulf in the morning.

ARP studs installed..

Rebuilt 241 heads. Nothing crazy done, decked the minimum amount to make them true. TEA gold dual valve springs installed also for the cam.

Had some free time this morning to get mostly everything else back on also. Happy i took many pictures prior to taking everything apart! Valve covers are just on for storage, still need to install the valvetrain.

Still have a few things left to do though,

-Torque crank bolt
-Install flywheel
-Check push rod length; never did this before, have a few posts from LS1Tech bookmarked to read while i am offshore
-Install rocker arms / push rods
-Install spark plugs! Keep forgetting to bring them down to my friends garage Embarassed

Have started putting together a list of everything else i still need to order to complete the conversion.. still quite a bit of parts i need to get.

Debating right now which hydroboost setup to go with, either the BMW or Ford system. Leaning towards the Ford system due to ease of availability of the parts and relative cost. The BMW system really isnt all that difficult to find parts for, but a few more individual components to find. It will be nice to just order the entire hydroboost unit off RockAuto if it ever needs to be replaced. Still trying to decide though, being able to run the stock master cylinder and bias valve is a huge plus though. It will be nice not having to add a bias valve for track use with the Ford system. Cost i think the Ford, even with a Tilton bias valve will be a little cheaper. But both systems are still relatively inexpensive so it almost doesnt matter.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:55 pm

And another month has gone by..

Lots of parts delivered the last few weeks, just cant do anything without power! Would have the motor done by now but this hurricane messed things up pretty good. No power going on 4.5 days now, my buddies garage (Where the motor is) has power but its 40 miles round trip and gas is impossible to get right now. Just thankful my car survived being parked out doors at my parents house, which is basically a forest!

I am pretty sure i have basically everything i need at this point short of the AN fittings and hose.

-Ford hydroboost and master cylinder
-Tilton bias valve
-Early temp sender and Autometer adapter
-Remote oil filter mount (which reminds me i need to order an oil thermostat still)
-Odyssey PC925 battery.. twice the output of my PC680 so it should be enough to turn over the LS1
-TPC's VSS kit
-Lokar throttle cable
-411 pcm to be sent out for a base tune

My friend (944Convert) has been working on figuring out a different clutch setup and it looks like ill be the guinea pig for his hydraulic slave, master cylinder combo.

Damn hurricane Crying or Very sad

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Coming up on day 12 without power Rolling Eyes Thankfully my friends garage where the motor is at was unaffected.

Managed to finally get the motor pretty much all done. Only thing left to do really is torque the crank pulley and put the flywheel on.

Valvetrain installed after double checking pushrod length like 20 times!

Dressed up with TPC's long tubes for picture purposes Very Happy

After much debate, i decided i am going to have a local builder finish the swap over the winter. Ive known them for quite a while and really do some awesome work, mostly track cars so i think this is right up there alley. Hopefully will be throwing it on a trailer and dropping it off within the next two weeks or so. Excited to finally be making some progress on this, i started tearing down the engine in February and 9 months later finally have it done. At that rate i would never have finished the car on my own!

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Moved the car for the first time since March,

Had a few friends come by to help me push it onto the trailer,

Looks pretty sad right now, cant wait to get it back together Very Happy

Dropped it off this morning,

Just gotta drop the motor off tomorrow and i have officially passed the torch on to the shop. Cant wait to drive it again! Twisted Evil

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:29 pm

The torch has officially been passed onto the builder, it was a big relief dropping the motor off finally.. not sure what ill do with the extra free time now Shocked

A few other details, 944convert has been hard at work the last few months trying to convince me to try his clutch setup. He has finally convinced me so we will be trying it on my car first.

Wilwood master cylinder 260-6088. This has a .700" bore and a 1.4" stroke. Should make for a lighter clutch pedal and the extra stroke should solve any disengagement issues. Also we are hoping the extra stroke of this master cylinder will help alleviate the 'on / off' clutch action some have reported. Note custom bracket so you can use the original master cylinder mounting points.

And here we are going to use the hydraulic slave for a 6-speed light truck. The slave is self bleeding and also has a bellows on it which hopefully should keep the clutch dust off and extend its life. Also a custom adapter to fit the different hydraulic slave. 944convert tested this setup with a few different clutch / pressure plate combinations including my Spec stage 2 setup and it seems to work well.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Need more info on the custom bracket for the clutch MC, that looks like a good fix for mounting the MC upright and maintaining the correct firewall angle.
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:35 pm

944convert made the adapter bracket. It requires grinding of the Wilwood master cylinder body to fit as you can see but it looks like it will work great. It basically sandwiches the master cylinder up against the firewall. I referred him to this thread so i am sure he will chime in with more details, i believe he has a box of them laying around the garage Wink

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Well, as Jon said he is testing this 'beta' version...but it is just a machined piece of steel. For installation instructions I was thinking something like....

The clutch master cylinder adapter bracket comes with two vertically placed round posts that fill the existing bolt holes of the new M/C .

The surface area around these bolt holes on the new M/C mounting flange simply needs to be reduced to a thickness of no less than 7mm (else, add washers between the adapter and the new M/C).

The total width of the new M/C mounting face needs to be trimmed to no more than 33mm and the height to no more than 76mm.

Finally, just persuade new M/C through the adapter bracket before adding the reservoir and fittings. Add reservoir and fittings and mount the assembly to original 944 clutch M/C firewall studs. Done.!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by 944convert on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Where did you mount to on the clutch pedal? Stock location? or where?

Why did you not go with the .750" bore with the same 1.4" stroke? The larger diameter would make for an even lighter pedal or would it be noticable?

How did the angle of the rod to the pedal turn out?

I am getting to this area of my build and have been keeping up with the issues.

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Tehone wrote:Where did you mount to on the clutch pedal? Stock location? or where?

Why did you not go with the .750" bore with the same 1.4" stroke? The larger diameter would make for an even lighter pedal or would it be noticable?

It will mount to the stock location using Rob's clevis adapter that you see on the thearded rod.

And actually, it is a smaller cylinder diameter that makes for an even lighter pedal.

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:14 pm

That's great!

I happen to have one of Rob's clevis adapter as that is all the further I have gotten in this area.

Between the .700" and the .750" (as the next larger bore diameter with the 1.4" stroke) would there be a difference in pedal feel?

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top